Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Swaps
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
VickiV
DIS Veteran

I'm sure I'll upset some here when I post this, but my concern with the mega swaps is that some people may sign up for so many groups that they may lessen the quality of their work to complete everything. I'm not saying that everyone that signs up for 30 (just as an example, no one specifically in mind with it) groups will do lesser quality work compared to someone that only signs up for 3 (just an example, no one specifically in mind for this one either) groups. I'm just saying the possibility exists.

I'd be willing to hostess a recipe swap again. It's been quite awhile since we've had one. I don't know if anyone other than prettyintink and my sister are really interested or not.

I like the page swaps that are complete. Mini kits are ok, but I can't always find matching paper where I am. I hate to pay the shipping on online orders for just a bit of stuff. If I did a mini kit, I would want to have 2 photomats with it and an embellishment as well.

I like the links on the calendar to past swaps. The less time I have to spend searching, the more time I can actually spend having fun with the swap or reading other things on disboards.

Something I would like to see is to have the due date in the same line as the sign-up date. Two separate categories are fine, but for me, have both in the sign-up listing is helpful.

VickiV
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
JohnsonsLoveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
Craftroom is a free program, so anyone with an updated Cricut can use it (I think the baby bug even? Not sure, I only use my E2 with it). The problem we run into using Cricut Cartridges is using cartridges that everyone already owns, because you can only cut items from cartridges you own or are loaded to your Gypsy. It's not impossible, but it will be more of a chore. I'll get a spreadsheet made in Google Drive with a list of cartridges. If we work with only those cartridges we have, we should be fine.

I participated in a CDS swap years ago on the cricut board.

The rules were- Disney Carts and George that was it. and then it was broken down into Mickey and Friends, Princesses, Pooh. We then got an email of all of the files, I have actually used some over the years.

Disneyland Trips, Aug 1987,Aug 2001, May 2004,April 2007, July 2007, July 2008,March 2009, Dec 2010 DisneyWorld Trips April 1992, April 2005,April 2010,Dec 2012
Etsy Id: EJMKDesigns
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I like "page swap without a page" - that could work for me

I always loved the recipe swaps but I've honestly got so many now, and I found a lot of the later ones were repeating, or else used things I can't easily get here (packet mickes and the like). But I do have them all in binders and have a little browse once in a while.....
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

I do like the completed pages, but I still find that the orientation of the layout do not work for my photos (vertical/horizontal). I guess not attaching stuff would help some with that. I do agree too that receiving one photo mat is pointless. I also personally do not use journal boxes but that is because I do not have the space by the time my pictures on the paper. I love the titles, borders, and other things though that we receive in embellishment swaps? Then we can make the pages our own in some way too? I am a little OCD myself. I also put tons of pictures on my pages (probably too many) so the embellishment swaps allows for this.

One swap we did seasonally on another board that I loved was the DCWV swap. Every season two stacks were chosen. To participate you had to purchase one of the stacks though (but you could usually always get them on sale or with a coupon for $10). Then you signed up (for one group or both if you purchased both of the stacks) and made items with papers from that stack. It was great, because then you had matching paper to go with everything. For winter- usually a snow stack and Christmas stack were chosen. For fall- usually a school stack and halloween/fall stack were chosen. Spring- was usually an Easter stack and another misc. stack with cute papers. Summer- depended on the stack selection usually. The only draw back of the swap were deciding on stacks from M's or J's, because not everyone had access to both stores sometimes and their stacks are different sometimes. Plus another draw back was you were spending money instead of using your own stash, but lots of us do that anyway Just a new swap idea? Then if you did get one photo mat, you could easily make more matching ones.

We also had sister swaps, when you were paired with someone and sent them something they would need monthly (like what you were working on). This was nice because it wasn't a lot of work or mass production, and it was great to get specific stuff. Similar to the surprise swap, but mailed a little more often so not as much work.

Last edited by disney-akj; 11-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

I like the idea of completed pages without the background paper, just not sure I can envision how it would work.

I too have alot of stash to use up so will be limiting the amount of swapping I do.

I like the idea of a "file" swap.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonsLoveDisney View Post
I participated in a CDS swap years ago on the cricut board.

The rules were- Disney Carts and George that was it. and then it was broken down into Mickey and Friends, Princesses, Pooh. We then got an email of all of the files, I have actually used some over the years.
That'd work!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

I like the completed page swaps & the idea of a "make your own" completed page kit. The letter swaps are nice but I'll be scaling back on those and leaning more towards completed pages or elements/mini kits.

I'll still be up for hosting the sports & activities swap in 2013 but I don't think there's enough interest for another pet swap until 2014....I'm having a hard time filling up the current one. I'm also open to hosting another non-Disney swap. I have WAAAAY too much Disney stuff to use, so I'm concentrating more on everyday, holidays, special events, and sports/activities.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I love the idea for the DCWV swap (although its not always easy to get theri stuff here, I have found it on some UK sites on the internet - ordering from the US would make it uneconomic!)

We once did a really everyday - including things like laundry. It was great fun but then I had to specially take photos to go with swap stuff......oh, I do that anyway
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
Craftroom is a free program, so anyone with an updated Cricut can use it (I think the baby bug even? Not sure, I only use my E2 with it). The problem we run into using Cricut Cartridges is using cartridges that everyone already owns, because you can only cut items from cartridges you own or are loaded to your Gypsy. It's not impossible, but it will be more of a chore. I'll get a spreadsheet made in Google Drive with a list of cartridges. If we work with only those cartridges we have, we should be fine.

I don't know how I feel about this for the MK swap...I've been thinking about my own groups and I may want to use the pre-printed Snow White paper (for instance) which will help finish the page. But, I'm not completely against it, especially if it helps with costs. We would need to get a list of paper used for our own info though.
I would prefer the pages as complete as possible for this set of swaps. I'm with Jennifer on the paper being an exact match and if I can't find it I probably won't use the pieces. I'm ok with mailing the background paper and loose pieces with a sketch, I just don't love the idea of having to find the exact background papers. I was really looking forward to a year of just scrapping complete pages and receiving them in return. I wasn't planning on joining many (any) others this coming year since this project will be a year-long one and maybe I can plan a trip to fill this book!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-akj View Post
I do like the completed pages, but I still find that the orientation of the layout do not work for my photos (vertical/horizontal). I guess not attaching stuff would help some with that. I do agree too that receiving one photo mat is pointless. I also personally do not use journal boxes but that is because I do not have the space by the time my pictures on the paper. I love the titles, borders, and other things though that we receive in embellishment swaps? Then we can make the pages our own in some way too? I am a little OCD myself. I also put tons of pictures on my pages (probably too many) so the embellishment swaps allows for this.

One swap we did seasonally on another board that I loved was the DCWV swap. Every season two stacks were chosen. To participate you had to purchase one of the stacks though (but you could usually always get them on sale or with a coupon for $10). Then you signed up (for one group or both if you purchased both of the stacks) and made items with papers from that stack. It was great, because then you had matching paper to go with everything. For winter- usually a snow stack and Christmas stack were chosen. For fall- usually a school stack and halloween/fall stack were chosen. Spring- was usually an Easter stack and another misc. stack with cute papers. Summer- depended on the stack selection usually. The only draw back of the swap were deciding on stacks from M's or J's, because not everyone had access to both stores sometimes and their stacks are different sometimes. Plus another draw back was you were spending money instead of using your own stash, but lots of us do that anyway Just a new swap idea? Then if you did get one photo mat, you could easily make more matching ones.

We also had sister swaps, when you were paired with someone and sent them something they would need monthly (like what you were working on). This was nice because it wasn't a lot of work or mass production, and it was great to get specific stuff. Similar to the surprise swap, but mailed a little more often so not as much work.
Love the idea of the DCWV Swap!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
Disney_rider
I'm a walking contradiction... Finally married 10-2-10

If I can add my 2 cents I know its been awhile since I have participated but...Honestly its because I forget...
Is an email or text reminder list out of the question. There are Swaps I see and I want to Participate but I NEVER remember or know when the sign-ups are. If I gave my phone# or email to someone....Could that be possible?

As for the swaps I'm glad new elements are being reccomended but things like "borders" does anyone actually still use the big thick borders? I havent seen them used on anything in a while.

I miss the recipe swap. My fav is the letter swaps dis and non-dis weell that and the DL-DCA swap ...have we ever had a Kids and Family Swap??? I did do a "Card Front Swap" it's just the front of the card and then you can attach it to a white peice of cardstock. I loved the ATC Swap and I liked the Tag Swap maybe this time around we could do like a Tim Holtz type of tag as a catagory.

The completed pages are a big help to me maybe even and 8x8 completed page so you could have an entire album by the time your done!!! That would be SICK!!You can even give them as gifts!!! Do a Disney Visit one, Baby, a Tink and Fairies, Star Wars, Sea World,Zoo and Just General Disney.

Well there are some things I've thought about...I hope to be swapping soon
Hugs to all you ladies
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-akj View Post
I like this idea...This could be rather dangerous
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
threeiscrazy
DIS Veteran

Location: Home is where the Navy sends us, for the moment Northern Virginia

I'm subscribing. I don't have any input as it's been quite a while since I've swapped, but I'd like to join in this year.

Discover
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
scrappinstevie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeiscrazy View Post
I'm subscribing. I don't have any input as it's been quite a while since I've swapped, but I'd like to join in this year.
Me too. I'd like to join in again this year.
I'm not much for swapping page kits/sketches. You need to have so much of all the same paper/supplies. And it is also more expensive to package and ship back and forth....I just find it easier to work from my pictures rather than make my pictures fit a certain page/sketch.

I am interested in page elements/titles/borders/paper piecings for WDW and Disneyland. I would really like to zero in on an Animal Kingdom swap as I kept missing out on those. I also missed out on a paper doll swap.

I don't care much about photo mats or journal boxes as I can make my own.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
scrappinstevie
Mouseketeer

Is there a calendar for what is coming up in 2013? I can't find a listing?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: