Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Need Tablet Advice

I posted this in the other place too, but thought I'd stick it here in case more eyes might see it here.

I know there are several dads that have iPads. Does anyone else have any other tablets?

We've never owned one, but DW has wanted one for a while. I'm thinking about getting her one for Christmas, but getting it early so she can use it on our drive to the World.

We both have Android smart phones and really would like to stick with the Android OS, but like the iPad as a device. I think right now the iPad and Galaxy are probably at the top of the list. Does any body have experience with a Galaxy? As for the iPad, is the newer one worth it, or should I save some money and get an I Pad 2?

And finally, is it worth it to get one that we can attach to our mobile data plan? I can see where it could come in handy from time to time, but not sure if it is worth the extra expense when we'll be able to use wifi at home.

Sorry to ramble, but I guess I just kind of want to know from any tablet owners what you do or don't like about your device.

Thanks!
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney

I use an iPad 2 and love it. DM is buying us as a fairly an iPad 3 for Christmas. I like the iPad 2 and think it is a good tablet. No experience with the galaxy but it looks ok.
I don't have the cellular setup and the new one won't either. Never see the point since me and DW have iPhones. But if you think you will us it and the monthly charge is ok with you than it could be nice. I don't know anyone that has bought the cellular service yet.

I am partial to the Apple products but you just have to look at what will fit you best. I know there is a slight difference in size and that might make a difference I you are holding it a lot.

Jousey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Technology changes so fast, wait and see what android tablets are coming out closer to Christmas.

Don't bother with getting a 4G tablet, download FoxFi and tether the tables to your phone for free.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
shinzon911
Earning My Ears

I am an expert in the field due to my job and I will state that the New iPad from Verizon Wireless with the connected LTE radio is by far the best product on the market.

Educationally it is the most widely adopted of all the tablet devices on the planet. Not to mention the Disney/Apple affiliations.
shinzon911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

We have an ipad (wifi version), Nook Color, and Kindle Fire in our family. Of the 3 the Ipad tends to be the most user friendly although the Galaxy is probably similar. While I have tethering on my phone I only have a 4 gb data plan. DW would like to get a newer Ipad with lte for car trips in the future. Through our carrier its about an extra $10 a month to add the data plan and at that price I think it'll be worth it. We currently use tablets to entertain 1 child when they are sitting around waiting for the other child to finish a lesson and it'd be nice in those situations to not have to worry about turning on tethering. If the cost was going to be much more than $10 a month I don't think the added convenience would be worth it.

They bottom line from our families experience would be that wifi does have some additional value, but there are ways that you can get similar functionality through tethering. It's up to you if the convenience outweighs the additional $$. I would lean towards the iPad but I am sure you can find pro's and cons for both devices. I don't think either is a bad choice. On apple we use a single itunes account to share apps across devices since we have multiple apple devices. Since you have android phones I am not sure if there would be a similar benefit to having another android device.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
IamTrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We're going to get something soon, so that we have it for our trip at the beginning of December. At this point I think we're leaning towards the iPad. I checked into it with our carrier and we can add 2GB of data to our plan and add the iPad to our account and it will only cost us an extra $10, so I definitely think that is the way we're going to go.

Still trying to decide if the new iPad is worth $100 extra. I see that it is 4G LTE, as opposed to the 3G in the iPad 2, but any thoughts as to whether the features available on it are worth the extra.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

I'm not a dad, but my DH and I both own iPhones. My DH wanted a tablet last December and I tried to convince him to go with an iPad. He didn't because one of his friends convinced him that knowing two systems (iOS and Android) was an advantage. He rarely uses his Android tablet is more difficult to use than our iPhones and I think he would have used the iPad a lot more.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

We have an iPad2 and iPad3. We love them both. I had a Galaxy Tablet for work but we had all kinds of issues with it freezing up. Later I found out I was not the only one.

The iPad's are very user friendly and very simple to use. However, being that you already have Android based phones it may be easier to stay in that line of items.

Just a note, the rumored iPad mini could be something to consider if the price of the normal iPad is too expensive.

DisDad Member #188

We're adopting!! Updated - 4/12/14! Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

As a first time tablet owner, I have the Windows phone and iPad Gen 1, and DW has Kindle Fire (android). There is no comparison as the Ipad functionality is way better than the Kindle. I really like the Windows operating system on th phone, but I won't go with an Android product. As the features, I bought I refurb Gen 1 iPad when they were leasing Gen 3 (I think), so I don't have all the bells and whistles. It would have been nice to face chat on iPad, but I think that is the only thing I miss.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Ok, we've picked one out. I ordered her a Gen 3 iPad with the 4G service. I figured it was worth $10 a month to just go ahead and have that capability to use it anywhere.

Thanks for the input and I guess now we'll just have to see if having an iPad in the house is going to be enough to make us want to give up our Android phones next time around.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Ok, we've picked one out. I ordered her a Gen 3 iPad with the 4G service. I figured it was worth $10 a month to just go ahead and have that capability to use it anywhere.

Thanks for the input and I guess now we'll just have to see if having an iPad in the house is going to be enough to make us want to give up our Android phones next time around.
I have the new Ipad3 and the kids use the old original Ipad. If you use Verizon, you can turn the 4G off and on whenever you want. For example, you can turn on the wireless service for a week if you are traveling and pay for that specific time without having to pay all the time. The service only charges for when you have it on. I do this for work travel. Leave off when home, but turn on when on the road. Saves $ when you don't need it.
Not sure if other plans allow you to turn on/off.

I was going to suggest looking into the new miniIpad that is coming out in November, but I see you already ordered the Ipad3. The screen is smaller, but it seems a little more portable and really cool. I think Apple was scheduled to release information on it next week.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
I have the new Ipad3 and the kids use the old original Ipad. If you use Verizon, you can turn the 4G off and on whenever you want. For example, you can turn on the wireless service for a week if you are traveling and pay for that specific time without having to pay all the time. The service only charges for when you have it on. I do this for work travel. Leave off when home, but turn on when on the road. Saves $ when you don't need it.
Not sure if other plans allow you to turn on/off.

I was going to suggest looking into the new miniIpad that is coming out in November, but I see you already ordered the Ipad3. The screen is smaller, but it seems a little more portable and really cool. I think Apple was scheduled to release information on it next week.

I'll have to do some research into how the on/off thing works. They don't seem to advertise that much... I wonder why? I'm on Verizon too, so I appreciate that info.

I asked DW if she wanted a regular full size tablet or if she was interested in one of the smaller ones and she chose the full size version.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I'd want a small tablet if I had one myself either. I've got a phone with a 4.5" screen, so I don't see the benefit of a tablet that is anything less than twice that size.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Apple

DisDad Member #188

We're adopting!! Updated - 4/12/14! Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
bmd1555
Earning My Ears

I just picked up an Acer iconia tab a200 from games top for $199. Walmart is still selling this tablet for $350 so I jumped on this deal. I love this tablet. The best part about it is that it has a full size USB port which means that you can use a jump drive for more storage. Just a thought.
bmd1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd1555
I just picked up an Acer iconia tab a200 from games top for $199. Walmart is still selling this tablet for $350 so I jumped on this deal. I love this tablet. The best part about it is that it has a full size USB port which means that you can use a jump drive for more storage. Just a thought.
Interesting, was unaware any of the tablets offered this feature. I guess I have been to Apple focused. DM is buying a iPad for the whole house this Christmas.

Jousey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: