Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #136
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Just for a little side information....I am at BWV now and am having a terrible time connecting to the Disney wifi on computer(laptop) took 30 min to the ipad never got on and another tablet... Oh and I do not own a smart phone and do not want one and do not take phone to park...do not want anyone finding me... and definately do not want Disney knowing where I am either, Oh and had a FP this am for SM for 10:30 and never used it...went on ride when got to MK and went over to TM and never went back to the other side to use it... got there at 9 AM rode SM 2X Buzz 1 walked over to TM side and never went back... do not see the good in this new wristband thing...

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #137
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

The only sure fire way that they can track a bracelet on a person would be to have a huge reliable wifi or cell signal. The wifi in the resorts is proving to be unreliable... do you think in the parks will be more reliable?
If you have a smartphone it has GPS and the cell companies can track you, but do they use it to market new goods and services?
Does everyone know how to turn off the GPS on their cell phones?

You can already be tracked...do you think someone actually pays to see where you are?
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #138
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
The only sure fire way that they can track a bracelet on a person would be to have a huge reliable wifi or cell signal. The wifi in the resorts is proving to be unreliable... do you think in the parks will be more reliable?
Anything that would track a bracelet wouldn't use the same guest wi fi that Disney provides for free. In fact its probably not "wi fi" ie 802.11 a/b/g/n but some other wireless signal.

These bracelets would only have to transmit a serial number not try to down load a web page.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #139
Ryandb2
Earning My Ears

Since it is based on RFID they don't need to track the bracelets by transmitting anything as complex as wi-fi, they just need short range scanners at various points of entry (rides, shops, easily hidden). I'm guess they are using an em based RFID that is powered by the short range scanners that read them, but I haven't had a bracelet to play around with yet. That would be the cheapest, easiest implementation.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #140
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

I heard that they are going to hav little hole in them so hen you take them off at teh end of your vaccation, there is going to be A walt disney logo tan line image.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #141
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Put on your tinfoil hat and try to keep up.
  • I heard they will have microphones in them and if your kid screams "I want a balloon" (where normally you tell the kid "We'll get one later" yea right) a balloon seller will pop out of a secret door and you will have no choice. They will also have your kids favorite color (you entered it when you filled out your park touring profile).
  • They will have scent generators (just like Soaring) and hunger sensors that will generate the scent of whatever your body wants (reads brain waves too). Some one then says "I Smell Cinnamon Rolls" and you say "I do too, lets buy some" of course since they are tracking your every movement this will happen within sight of the Main Street Bakery.
  • Rides can be customized for the exact thrill you want. Sensors read your cortisol (stress hormone) and adrenaline levels and it amps up the ride if they are not high enough. Check your cholesterol levels too (part of the new Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act).

I could go on and on.
You do realize all this technology does exist? Except the checking of cholesterol levels. But when you smell the cinnamon rolls as you pass the Main Street Bakery, you walk in to smell only burnt over roasted coffee instead because a suit forgot to tell so some to cue the new, non-cinnamon roll smell.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #142
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Yep.
2) The main purpose, as we are told, is marketing.
3) WDW can now track you
. . . at every ride
. . . at every eatery
. . . at every place they want to
4) Yes, they can "tailor" your experience.
5) But, it is for their own profitability.
6) BIG BROTHER.
and maybe they can see us avoid things they think we should love, and start putting more money into things we like! ;-)
there is always a good and a bad part to the tracking. It isn't as if they haven't done it before, this will just be more accurate.
I don't have much of a problem with it,since I never attach a credit card to my key card now, and I don't plan on doing it then.
My only worry is getting my sensitive kids to keep it on! What happens if they lose it? And of course, ripping them off for fastpass runs..lol (although, if we get fastpass+, I suppose we won't need that as much!) also, trying to remember when fast passes are for, since I don't have need for a smart phone..will they text me? ;-)
does anyone have an idea of when this will be implemented?

Last edited by awoogala; 10-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #143
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
I heard that they are going to hav little hole in them so hen you take them off at teh end of your vaccation, there is going to be A walt disney logo tan line image.
oh! I would love a hidden mickey tan!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #144
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I didn't read everyone's posts but when are they planning on using these?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #145
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
I'm not sure I didn't read everyone's posts but when are they planning on using these?
No one knows.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #146
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Almost certainly 2013 but no idea if it will be January, December or somewhere in between.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #147
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Ok...so i'm usually the one at the front of Blucher's column leading the charge against Emperor Disney's evil Commercial Imperial Army...

But for some reason i see this "tracking" idea as an incredibly good idea for the consumer.

If disney is able to see where you are going and more importantly...for how long you are there...they will adjust based on what is selling and what is not.

While a little Orwellian...this can be a good thing.
But the burden is on US!...and it is to reject the stuff that is garbage. Don't hang out at ABC Commissary or Nine Dragons...if you go to a gift shop and look for 30 minutes...then don't go to the one right next to it (mgm comes to mind...but they're all the same) which has the SAME 30 products and do it again. Walk out in 25 seconds...they'll see that and then it will start to paint the picture.

All this time...especially the last 20 years of decline in quality, variety and craftsmanship - specifically in regards to merchandise but also in food and construction - the customer has followed along like lemmings and dumped their bucks into the bottomless hole.

Welll maybe this swings the pendulum back...perhaps people can help themselves by just using some much needed common sense. If its crap...leave it...if its great...make the case to management.

WDW management (and of the evil corporate juggernaut overlords) want your money and don't give a pitootie about the method ("magic")...but nobody said they won't give you what you want to do it.

I guess i took my optimism pills this morning. But i'm thinking back to two things that they've done in semi-recent memory that has been overwhelmingly better for the consumer: fast pass and extra magic hours. whatever the reason...my trips are only impacted positively because of those things.

On the other hand...the price of the Halloween or Christmas party...not so good
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 10-25-2012 at 09:30 AM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #148
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Oh and I do not own a smart phone and do not want one and do not take phone to park...do not want anyone finding me...
Just so you know, EVERY cell phone has a signal that allows it to be tracked, not just the smart ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
But for some reason i see this "tracking" idea as an incredibly good idea for the consumer.

WDW management (and of the evil corporate juggernaut overlords) want your money and don't give a pitootie about the method ("magic")...but nobody said they won't give you what you want to do it.

I guess i took my optimism pills this morning. But i'm thinking back to two things that they've done in semi-recent memory that has been overwhelmingly better for the consumer: fast pass and extra magic hours. whatever the reason...my trips are only impacted positively because of those things.
Wow L-O-L, that's the positive post I've ever seen from you. Are you on a morphine drip?

Very good points though - the technology is clearly used to their advantage, but can certainly benefit a more discerning consumer in what they give us.

Though I also want to make the point that they are already starting to learn that the "One Disney" garbage merchandise is a bad idea. See Carsland and Buena Vista Street in DCA, where stuff is flying off the shelves, and now Belle's Village gift shop is apparently all very specific to the new FLE / BatB. Can't say there still isn't a lot of crap, but at least its not as generic crap.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #149
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

Wow L-O-L, that's the positive post I've ever seen from you. Are you on a morphine drip?
Ehhh...i'm booking a trip this week...i guess i get all SOFFFT on these types of days.

next week i'll probably be busier and the nhl is really ticking me off with this no games crapola...so expect daggers to be in full flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Very good points though - the technology is clearly used to their advantage, but can certainly benefit a more discerning consumer in what they give us.

Though I also want to make the point that they are already starting to learn that the "One Disney" garbage merchandise is a bad idea. See Carsland and Buena Vista Street in DCA, where stuff is flying off the shelves, and now Belle's Village gift shop is apparently all very specific to the new FLE / BatB. Can't say there still isn't a lot of crap, but at least its not as generic crap.
of course the specific stuff sells....every four years or so when they put small world stuff out in one lonely stand or kiosk somewhere on property - it disappears in two weeks flat. They have reintroduced the resort wear/ merchandise and i've bought stuff form old key, yacht, beach, and boardwalk in my last two trips (and i buy nothing)

but there is obviously "economic interests" where the rubber meets the road. they apparently save SOOOO much money making uniform sweatshop crap....that the beaners tell them that any variety is killing the dividend.

"four parks, one world" tshirts....Walt disney world 20__ coffee mugs..."disney parks" napkins...
ugghhh! now i'm back out of the good mood.

so many actually cool things are long gone...
case in point: one of my favorites - the Christopher Radko glass ornaments from the christmas shops.
Just couldn't do it...couldnt stand to license/ buy a product from a third party vendor when uglier, less quality, cheap chinese junk direct from disney would do fine.

?????

but oh well...
all i'm saying is make the third world factories with no wages and terrrible, inhuman working conditions change up the screen printers and plastic molds every couple of days or so...is that too much to ask?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #150
gymnastgirlflips
Live, Laugh, Glove <3 VMK

I've always been very scared about the idea of the Magic bands...

No, it's no news to me that anyone with a cell phone can be tracked. I've just never had a problem with my little plastic "Key to the World" card in which I can access the parks and get Fast Passes. For starters, what if you want to use your FP for Space Mountain, but realize you've given your FP to whoever in your party doesn't want to go on it and instead has taken everyone Magic Bands to get another FP on the other side of the park? What then?

Of course, by this point I'm sure FPs are supposed to be reserved six months in advanced and your entire day will be scheduled full of attractions and reserved seating.... unless you're the kind of person who thinks vacations should be more "spur of the moment" or you're a local who just can't decide six months out that they'll be at Epcot at 4:30 pm to ride Soarin'.

The whole new system makes no sense to me. It's just turning a happy place into a huge, "orderly" mess.

The bracelets truthfully remind me of the new World of Color (and now Fantasmic and Mad Tea Party) ears sold at Disneyland and DCA. They use radio frequencies and, depending on your location during the show, light up to choreograph the audience.. at least when they're wearing the ears. This technology is hidden away in a pair of Mickey ears... pretty astounding.

The only plus I can see coming from this HUGE change is that Disney would see what's working and what's not- guest likes and dislikes easily monitered. Entertainment such as Meet and Greets more special if they character knew your name beforehand... things like that. I just wouldn't trade the old system for a bracelet made in China.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: