Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I hope they don't get rid of the Sorcerers hat. It is an icon! It could be put to better use though. I seem to remember there is only a pin shop there- there should be a larger attraction IMO.

I also hope that they expand Star Wars into a land. That would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Yeah they didn't make sense there, so why follow poor logic and continue to misplace things...

Just make the show theme Pigs in Space dancing to Thriller and problem solved.

Of course updating it to Call Me Maybe may fit Miss Piggy better.

But seriously, if they add Cars/Pixarland and SWland at HS the Muppets will likely slide into obscurity there. Whereas at Epcot the Muppets would be prominent as one of the few kid friendly attractions. If you love the Muppets it could be the best thing for it in the long term.

Last edited by Q-man; 11-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadrwilntwrmickyears View Post
By 2015, Hollywood Studios will have a complete refurbishment. They are going to have 7 worlds in the park, just like Universal does. The Star Wars deal was the key to this refurbishment. The only worlds I know of will be the much rumored Cars World, Monstors Inc World, Oddity World, Toy Story World and the number 1 world, Star Wars World.

Star Wars will look exactly like tatooine. They will even have a restaurant that will feature that alien band, that plays that one song over and over again in the movie, where Obi and Luke look for Han Solo. The restaurant will have several animatronic type characters, that we have seen in the movie, along will Hans sitting at the table with Greedo.

This is all due to a study done in 2011-2012. They looked into guests staying in the resorts with at least a 7-day park hopper. What Disney found out is that everyone goes to Magic Kingdom and Epcott several times on their trip. Followed by Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios being the least favored park. It was found that more than 35% of guests with a 7-day park hopper will only go to Hollywood Studios 1 time during their stay.

This Star Wars deal was in the process at the time of the Star Tours refurbishment. Thats why now, we see so many Star Wars Characters. They new the deal was going to get done and thats why they were able to announce the release date so quickly, of Star Wars episode 7 in 2015, which will be two months after the Star Wars World is complete.

Along with other refurbishment plans, The hat is definetly a goner. From what I hear, there has been a 2 year development of the Hat's replacement that is nearly finished. I was told it of course will be something to do with Star Wars. Most Likely a huge replica of Vader fighting Luke.

Oddity World sounds like it will be very interesting, It will be near the Tower of Terror with perhaps Hitchcocks crazy themes. Areosmith ride will be changed as well and renamed.

Monstors inc will look exactly like the set of the film, with a thrill ride roller coaster being added.

From what I hear, Muppets and a few other places will be relocated to other parks to make room for each of these huge worlds. The Great Movie Ride, The Car Stunt Show and Backlot tour will be eliminated. With whats coming in, those will not be missed at all. All of the new worlds will have huge animatronic characters that will pretty much put Universal Studios to shame.

Lastly, Magic Kingdom is not done being renovated. Big time rumor has it that Stitch is a goner. That ride is going to be some sort of star wars walking conveyor type ride. A free flowing line like the TTA, but instead of sitting in cars, you will stand on a conveyor. It may be a tour of all the planets talked about in the Star Wars movie, or it might be a type of Great Movie Ride, with scenes from all the movies and secrets about the upcoming stories.

Thanks.... I needed the laugh.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #34
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
I have no other words for what is bolded other than...disgusting.

Star Wars is ok I guess, but I don't think it should be the main theme of DHS. In fact, I'd probably go less than I do now. A smallish Star Wars themed section, sure...but having a giant Vader/Luke take the place of Sorcerer Mickey's Hat? I highly doubt that would happen. They can stick that in the Star Wars section, but don't replace Mickey's hat with that.

Why would they make Monster's Inc. Land and Toy Story Land? Wouldn't they just expand the Pixar Studio's area they have now?

Let's just say...I'm definitely not holding my breath about this one.
As a huge Star Wars fan, I agree. Keep a Star Wars section, but don't turn DHS into Star Wars Park. Keep the great movie ride, the Hat, and the muppets. Anything that is movie related.

Other than that, I love the rumors. My mind is spinning with the possibilities they could do with Star Wars area. Anyone have the email of some imagineers so I can forward my ideas too?

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Soarin4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
We may find out how credible the source is in as little as ~5 weeks since credible sources have been saying big announcements on Dec 6. They'd pretty much have to announce it and get started then to get anything done by 2015. Seems to me Disney needs to add rides at some of the parks if they are implementing a FP+ reservation system.
Good idea. Outside of the Figment ride, there really isn't much else in that area. Never been a big fan of the Honey I shrunk the Audience movie.

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Soarin4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #36
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
As a huge Star Wars fan, I agree. Keep a Star Wars section, but don't turn DHS into Star Wars Park. Keep the great movie ride, the Hat, and the muppets. Anything that is movie related.

Other than that, I love the rumors. My mind is spinning with the possibilities they could do with Star Wars area. Anyone have the email of some imagineers so I can forward my ideas too?
I am agree with you, I hope they keep DHS as is with then expand outward.

I am willing to bet DHS is going to get a massive $1Billion plus expansion, there is a ton of land behind indy and star tours. DAK and DHS IMHO are going to be full day parks 5-7 years from now
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #37
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I LOVE the Sorcerer's Hat. If they take it down, I will cry.

Hollywood Studios is my favorite park. It feels so good to walk there - almost spiritual. The back streets are a "pretend land" for adults. You can make the stoops & house fronts anywhere & anything you want them to be.

Toy Story Mania & One Man's Dream are 2 examples of what the Studios was meant to be. "Let's have fun" at TSM & "let's remember" at One Man's Dream. Taking the hat down would be taking a piece of the park away. The Hat IS the center of Studios. That's where you go to find great pins. That's how you find your way around. That is the meeting place so you can meet up with your friends. It would be strange without it.

PLEASE leave the hat where it is! Thank you!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #38
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Taking the hat down would be taking a piece of the park away. The Hat IS the center of Studios. That's where you go to find great pins. That's how you find your way around. That is the meeting place so you can meet up with your friends. It would be strange without it.
It has only been there the last 11 years before that Grauman's Chinese theater's facade did the same thing from the entrance and it really transported you to Hollywood blvd. It was put up for the 100 year celebration and was supposed to be removed after that but they just removed all the interactive kiosks under it about the history of Walt's life and his company's history(a mini One Man's Dream but with more details) and put in a pin store. The hat ruined the recreation of Hollywood blvd. I cringe every time I see it still there. Put it out in front of the gates somewhere.

Last edited by Q-man; 11-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #39
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
It has only been there the last 11 years before that Grauman's Chinese theater's facade did the same thing from the entrance and it really transported you to Hollywood blvd. It was put up for the 100 year celebration and was supposed to be removed after that but they just removed all the interactive kiosks under it about the history of Walt's life and his company's history(a mini One Man's Dream but with more details) and put in a pin store. The hat ruined the recreation of Hollywood blvd. I cringe every time I see it still there. Put it out in front of the gates somewhere.
I agree. The old Earful Tower was the original park icon. I would rather see the Chinese Theater than the old hat. If they want to keep that as the icon, they should move it outside the front gate or something. But I am a fan of just taking it down totally.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Dabelsteen
Earning My Ears

That really big post makes no sense to me....at least not on that timeline. They have already announced and are committed to (contractually) building Avatar attractions at AK for between 375-500 million depending on who you listen too. Assume the same cost for a Star Wars land you're looking at almost 1 billion to the parks with only half disclosed to share holders?......Not gonna happen. Fun ideas though!

1974 Ramada Inn, 1977 Holiday Inn, 1985 Days Inn Maingate, 1987 Super 8, 1989 Larson's Lodge, 1995 Holiday Inn, 2001 Coronado Springs, 2002 West Gate Lakes, 2004 Holiday Inn Main Gate West, 2005 POP Century, 2006 Travel Lodge Hotel Main Gate East, 2006 Seralago Suites, 2008 Caribe Royal, 2007 Fun Spot Hotel, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Seralago Suites, 2011 Holiday Inn Main Gate East, 2012 POP Century
Dabelsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
I am agree with you, I hope they keep DHS as is with then expand outward.

I am willing to bet DHS is going to get a massive $1Billion plus expansion, there is a ton of land behind indy and star tours. DAK and DHS IMHO are going to be full day parks 5-7 years from now
Usually i agree with you...

but a big fat NOPE on this one.

While i do think they'll "flesh out" animal kingdom and do some additions to studios...i don't think you'll see that kind of monetary investment - certainly not in that timeframe.

They have always been effective as "feeder" parks - particularly studios - so there is little money to be gained by changing that.

Perhaps AK - because of unavoidable high overhead - needs more of a "full day" draw. I can see that being the goal (since it was from the first place and the weasel accountants pulled the plug for evil Mikey).

but not studios.
WDW wants more people in its parks - no question. But they currently don't have an issue fitting people - which means strategically more money at Downtown, EPCOT, and perhaps AK make more sense.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #42
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post

Thanks.... I needed the laugh.

Agree x 1000...

That is a blasé 3 billion dollars of construction costs just passively being "guaranteed"...with as much gravity put to it as a feather on the moon.

people should not be allowed to make posts written in crayon.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabelsteen View Post
That really big post makes no sense to me....at least not on that timeline. They have already announced and are committed to (contractually) building Avatar attractions at AK for between 375-500 million depending on who you listen too. Assume the same cost for a Star Wars land you're looking at almost 1 billion to the parks with only half disclosed to share holders?......Not gonna happen. Fun ideas though!
perhaps because its 110% complete Bibbi-babka?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #44
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

I don't like the hat but I wouldn't mind it being moved outside the gates. Move it and put the security bag check under the hat. I like the idea of opening DHS back up the way it used to be.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Yeah, that big post from vadrwilntwrmickyears is a whole load of crap. There's no way they are putting that kind of money into the Studios to re-do the entire park. Not to say there can't be a blue-sky plan like that, there is NO WAY this is ever going to happen.

Now, if he had said "Carsland replacing backlot/LMA, Star Wars adding restaurant/ride" OK fine, but re-theming the whole park? Monster Inc World? Oddity World? C'mon on. As they say..."I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night."

There are a lot of rumors swirling around. Disney KNOWS that Star Wars is the one park product that can possibily be seen as a bigger draw than Harry Potter. I have a hard time believing we will not see SOMETHING coming within the next 3 years. But not to this level.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: