Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
ALFranklin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.
There is also a business called Theme Park Connection and they get some of those old figurines and displays from The Disney Store as well as the parks and they re-sale them.

Here is a link to their page. They have some really cool stuff!
http://www.themeparkconnection.com/
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #32
dwaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFranklin View Post
There is also a business called Theme Park Connection and they get some of those old figurines and displays from The Disney Store as well as the parks and they re-sale them.

Here is a link to their page. They have some really cool stuff!
http://www.themeparkconnection.com/
Thanks-- looks like a fun site to check out- especially the Haunted Mansion replica house.
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
Zoie
Mouseketeer

I too am really sad about Mickey's and Minnie's homes. I always tell the kids that Disney World is where Mickey and Minnie live, and it went right along with that story to then go to their houses. Not to mention, there was a lot of stuff in those houses that made REALLLLLLY cute pictures, especially if you dressed your child as Mickey/Minnie!!!

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in. Seriously, how popular is Dumbo compared to Mickey and Minnie?? I know the ride is popular with little ones -- but not the whole circus theme! You can see a circus anywhere -- Mickey and Minnie are special!!

And I was really really upset to see the new Mickey and gang meet and greet pictures. All this bizarre circus garb??? REALLY? I don't even WANT my kids to see those hideous characters!!! I'm taking them to Disney World and outside of Mickey who I hope and pray is still his normal self, they aren't even going to SEE the main characters.

We'll have to go see them in Epcot, which is completely devoid of the magic you find at the MK, sigh... I just hope and pray they remain in their original costumes there.

How lovely for my little girls to go dress like Minnie to have their pictures made together, only to find that Minnie doesn't even dress like Minnie anymore and they don't match at all...
Zoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
ALFranklin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
Thanks-- looks like a fun site to check out- especially the Haunted Mansion replica house.
It is fun to just look and dream of having anything in their auctions. However, I'd personally rather have a house modeled after The Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie View Post
I too am really sad about Mickey's and Minnie's homes. I always tell the kids that Disney World is where Mickey and Minnie live, and it went right along with that story to then go to their houses. Not to mention, there was a lot of stuff in those houses that made REALLLLLLY cute pictures, especially if you dressed your child as Mickey/Minnie!!!

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in.
Only specifically addressing this, because I agree to some degree about the circus outfits.

The problem here is that story isn't accurate to what Disney built. WDW's Toontown Fair had Mickey and Minnie's COUNTRY Homes. It was where they went on vacation. Toontown in DL is where they "actually" live.

And the story you tell them is simple. In this economy, Mickey and Minnie couldn't afford to keep a second house.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #36
RussTKD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post

And the story you tell them is simple. In this economy, Mickey and Minnie couldn't afford to keep a second house.
Either that, or explain eminent domain.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I'm still heartbroken over losing Mickey and Minnie's houses. They were adorable and pure Disney.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #38
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
Only specifically addressing this, because I agree to some degree about the circus outfits.

The problem here is that story isn't accurate to what Disney built. WDW's Toontown Fair had Mickey and Minnie's COUNTRY Homes. It was where they went on vacation. Toontown in DL is where they "actually" live.

Well, in the OP's defense, I think if I recall correctly, When the houses were build as part of Mickey's Birthdayland, There were billed as Mickey and Minnie's Real houses.

I think I even remember that story being the same as Mickey's Birthdayland transitioned into Mickey's Starland.

the DL Toontown (If I recall correctly), was actually built AFTER Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland, so the Country Home story for Florida I don't think came into play until later..... Maybe even around the time Starland started it's transition into Toontown Fair. (With the elimination of Duckburg, Minnie Moo, and the introduction of the Barnstormer)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #39
franchescadisney
Earning My Ears

I am sad, along with everyone else though, Mickey and Minnie really live in California and the houses in WDW were just their vacation homes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie View Post

I hate this whole circus theme stuff, and I don't understand why Disney would do away with Mickey's and Minnie's HOMES to put all this circus junk in. Seriously, how popular is Dumbo compared to Mickey and Minnie?? I know the ride is popular with little ones -- but not the whole circus theme! You can see a circus anywhere -- Mickey and Minnie are special!!

And I was really really upset to see the new Mickey and gang meet and greet pictures. All this bizarre circus garb??? REALLY? I don't even WANT my kids to see those hideous characters!!! I'm taking them to Disney World and outside of Mickey who I hope and pray is still his normal self, they aren't even going to SEE the main characters.

We'll have to go see them in Epcot, which is completely devoid of the magic you find at the MK, sigh... I just hope and pray they remain in their original costumes there.

How lovely for my little girls to go dress like Minnie to have their pictures made together, only to find that Minnie doesn't even dress like Minnie anymore and they don't match at all...
It's always sad when favorite attractions are replaced. I can completely understand being disappointed if you really enjoyed Mickey and Minnie's houses.

For me, though, I always felt that Toontown was sort of...a waste. It looked a bit cheap to me, and it was clear that it was meant to be temporary (even if temporary did end up being many, many years!).

May I ask if you've been to the new Storybook Circus yet? I was there a couple of weeks ago and was really, really impressed! DS absolutely LOVED Storybook Circus, and I enjoyed all of the thoughtful Disney details they incorporated into the area. DS had no interest in standing in line to meet characters, so we met Mickey and the gang at Garden Grill in Epcot and Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Both were quite magical, and we had great interactions.

I understand your disappointment (I'm disappointed that SWSA closed, even though I'm excited about the other FLE additions!). Change can be difficult. But if you haven't seen it in person yet, I urge you to give the new areas a shot before you make up your mind. It's all really beautiful and fun, and I saw tons and tons of excited kids (and adults!) enjoying the new Fantasyland.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: