Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #46
katla33
Mouseketeer

I resent the negative comments about Texans! My DD1 is a native of Fort Worth! She was born when we were living there in 2002.
Seriously though, Texas is a great state. Love it. My husband is interviewing with a company in Houston so who knows, we might move there. I have tons of friends and some family in Texas.

I wish this rumor was true! Houston is only 5 hours away from where I am and Orlando is 12!

katla33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL
I mean think about it......Houston would be great because it's the 4th largest city in the country, and we don't have any kind of theme park here. Not only that, but within a few hours you have the huge Dallas Metro area, within a couple of hours, you have Austin and San Antonio. New Orleans is just 5 hours away. You would also attract people from West Texas, Oklahoma, and Mexico. It's a huge area and there is a market for sure. The weather is great. Sure, the Summers get hot and humid, but no worse than Orlando, and there isn't any greater risk of Hurricanes than Orlando has.

As a family, we try to hit Disneyland once a year. If there were a park in Texas, we would get Annual Passports and go a LOT. I was discussing this with some co-workers who said the same thing. Sure, people still have the option of the Disneyland Resort in California (my preference since I grew up going to that one) or WDW, and those people may only get to go once a year or once every few years, but if there was a park closer, those same people would go several times each year.

The area where they hold the Ren Fair every year would be great. There is nothing out there and plenty of room to build, yet it's still close enough to Bush Airport and within an hour drive of Downtown Houston.

I too remember when people said that they wouldn't put a Disney Cruise ship in stinky old Galveston, well.....the maiden voyage just happened folks. It just makes sense to add a park here!!!!

Oh, and all you Texas haters......what gives? Have you ever even visited Texas? I've lived all over the U.S. and am now spending my 4th year here and I love it, and am happy that I will be raising my Texan children here!

Don't mess with Texas ya'll!
I think it's comments like "Don't Mess with Texas" that leads to people hating on Texas. It belays a certain attitude and arrogance that gets stereotyped to Texans and rubs many the wrong way.

As for Houston, valid points... That being said, given the size of the area, why haven't other Theme Parks popped up? LA has a Ton, NY and Chicago have a few. Why not Houston? Are the Six Flags and other parks considered too close?
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #48
Nomad70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katla33 View Post
I resent the negative comments about Texans! My DD1 is a native of Fort Worth! She was born when we were living there in 2002.
Seriously though, Texas is a great state. Love it. My husband is interviewing with a company in Houston so who knows, we might move there. I have tons of friends and some family in Texas.

I wish this rumor was true! Houston is only 5 hours away from where I am and Orlando is 12!
I wouldn't let it bother you. Our middle child was born in Texas as well, but we would never ever choose to live there again. We joke that he was the best thing that ever came out of Texas. People say negative things about California all the time, and as a California native I couldn't care less what people think. I love my home state, always will. As a military family we can't choose right now where to live, but when my husband finishes 25 years of service you better believe that will be the first state he puts resumes in.

New DVC Members as of September 2012!!! WOOHOO!
Nomad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #49
katla33
Mouseketeer

Ha! I was just kidding. I am not really upset about the comments.

But I do like Texas!!

Astroworld was in Houston for a long time. Water World, too. We used to visit a lot when I was a kid. Wish it was still open!

katla33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #50
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katla33
Ha! I was just kidding. I am not really upset about the comments.

But I do like Texas!!

Astroworld was in Houston for a long time. Water World, too. We used to visit a lot when I was a kid. Wish it was still open!
Well the Houston theme park thoughts were legitimate questions on the whys...

I figured your Texas comment was tounge in cheek... However, I've sadly met several Texans with that kind of sentiment in real life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: