Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

While I admit that the plan sounds nice enough, I just really don't want to see Avatar going into AK.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Well Disney DOES have a "what's new what's next" announcment coming the day the NFL opens. I'm guessing we may hear some more detail then.

Personally, I'm banking on a Plan B. Disney wouldn't give the reins to JK Rowling so I doubt they'll hand over creative control to known control freak Cameron. I'd much rather see Beastly Kingdom, Australia, South America, or even better...Lord of the Rings!

And finally, I don't believe for one second that information leaks accidentally. Be it from Disney or anyone else. A "leak" is a carefully orchestrated PR move.
Agreed on the "leak"...and I really hope you're right about Plan B. However, as much as I LOVE LOTR and would be thrilled to go to a LOTR-themed park...AK is not the place for it. It doesn't fit any better than Avatar, IMO. Something like that would go better in DHS than AK. I think Australia or South America would be good choices, though.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Interesting. That all matches with the "leaked" plans posted here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3012857

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

One of the "insiders" over on WDWMagic is reporting that Disney and Cameron HAVE reached an agreement. So, as of right now, no plan B.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Here's hoping for plan B

Any conjecture on potential themes? The originally planned Beastly Kingdom would be neat, but that theme seems to lend itself better to a coaster than a Soarin' type ride.
I was thinking Beastly Kingdom too. Some of the things that were mentioned in the article did sound neat, however I like the Beastly Kingdom theme that should of been more then the Avatarland theme that might be.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

What you mean all those "rumors" with absolutely no basis in fact that this has been "canceled" were wrong! I am in complete shock!

(Since sarcasm doesn't come across on the internet - that's sarcasm kids!)

I am all for this. I can't stand the way so many Disney fans on the boards whine that Disney doesn't put anything new into WDW, and then when they do, whine that "Oh, but that's not what I wanted, I meant that not only should they put into something new, but it should be THIS and THIS only, because it's my idea, and I know better than anyone! Wah wah wah!"

I don't think Avatar was a great movie, but I think it good make a great theme park attraction. And if you make a great theme park attraction, then people will love it.

(A good example being Transformers at Uni, I think the Transformer movies are big steaming turds that I would never sit through again, unlike Avatar which I would, but I would never dismiss that they can't make a good theme park ride out of it.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
labattblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I don't think Avatar was a great movie, but I think it good make a great theme park attraction. And if you make a great theme park attraction, then people will love it.
^^^ This. Just because you don't like the movie, you will hate the land? Even better, you have already determined you will hate it, even before it is announced, let alone built?

labattblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
Jonesloonybin
DIS Veteran

It reminds me of the time they announced the Magic, Memories and You. Everyone was so sure that it was going to be awful and how could they even THINK of projecting images onto the castle!

Now, everyone love it.

Trips: May 2011 Pop/May 2012 Pop/February 2013 POFQ
Dining report:May 2011
May 2012 PTR: Don't tell them we are going back!
Jonesloonybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Depends, I don't really like the movie, I don't think it would be really cool to be immersed in an entire land based on a movie I didn't like, even if it has a cool ride or 2. I'm sure it will be pretty to look at though.

I'm not for Carsland in DHS either - they have a Carsland in Anaheim already. I'm more for adding some elements of it and making it a general Pixar thing, adding in a Ratatouille restaurant and some Monsters stuff.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I am all for this. I can't stand the way so many Disney fans on the boards whine that Disney doesn't put anything new into WDW, and then when they do, whine that "Oh, but that's not what I wanted, I meant that not only should they put into something new, but it should be THIS and THIS only, because it's my idea, and I know better than anyone! Wah wah wah!"

(A good example being Transformers at Uni, I think the Transformer movies are big steaming turds that I would never sit through again, unlike Avatar which I would, but I would never dismiss that they can't make a good theme park ride out of it.)
The voice of reason! Thank you!

I've never been a fan of the idea of a whole "land" based on Avatar. But a ride or two, plus a shop and snack/CS area would be fine. Soarin' isn't based on anything, and it is a "must do" for most people. Spalsh Mountain is based on a terrible movie that isn't even available for purchase or rent any more. But the ride is great. What percentage of DHS guests have seen a single original episode of The Twilight Zone? Does that stop them from queing up for ToT?? Aerosmith? Hello!! 1978 called and it wants its hair and Spandex back. But that won't stop me from loving RnR.

Who gives a flip if you didn't like Avatar? If the ride is technologically awesome and visually stunning, you will grab your FP. If "I loved the movie" was a litmus test for appreciating a ride at WDW, most of us would probably stay home, as the majority of rides that we all know and love were either not based on movies at all, or were based on pretty bad ones. People still cry over the loss of the Toad. But the cartoon it was based on? Please!!
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
The voice of reason! Thank you!

I've never been a fan of the idea of a whole "land" based on Avatar. But a ride or two, plus a shop and snack/CS area would be fine. Soarin' isn't based on anything, and it is a "must do" for most people. Spalsh Mountain is based on a terrible movie that isn't even available for purchase or rent any more. But the ride is great. What percentage of DHS guests have seen a single original episode of The Twilight Zone? Does that stop them from queing up for ToT?? Aerosmith? Hello!! 1978 called and it wants its hair and Spandex back. But that won't stop me from loving RnR.

Who gives a flip if you didn't like Avatar? If the ride is technologically awesome and visually stunning, you will grab your FP. If "I loved the movie" was a litmus test for appreciating a ride at WDW, most of us would probably stay home, as the majority of rides that we all know and love were either not based on movies at all, or were based on pretty bad ones. People still cry over the loss of the Toad. But the cartoon it was based on? Please!!
For me, this isn't so much an issue with me not enjoying the movie as not seeing it as a good fit for Disney/AK. As I said when responding to PP who suggested a LOTR theme - although I LOVE those books/movies, I don't think it's the right choice here. It would work better in DHS, and even then I think it would make more sense for them to do something like a Star Wars area in that park before LOTR.

I also agree that while I really enjoy RnRc, I think Aerosmith was an odd choice. In a similar vein, I think the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is a great attraction, but what is it doing in Tomorrowland?

I think you are right in your point that rides and attractions certainly do not need to be based on a good movie to be successful. And I'm not saying Avatarland will be anything less than innovative, immersive, and imaginative. My opinion is simply that there are other themes Disney could choose for this much-needed expansion that will be a better fit for the park.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
A "leak" is a carefully orchestrated PR move.
Except in the case of the work print of X-Men Origins: Wolverine getting leaked.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
jmm476
DIS Veteran

The OP requested that we keep Avatar bashing out of this thread, so I won't state my opinions there. But - is anyone else surprised to see that what was supposed to be avatar "land" is merely a building housing 2 attractions and a gift shop? Sounds a lot like the Land building at Epcot to me, just a larger scale.

I guess I just figured whatever they did, it would be bigger and have more to it...
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm good with a building rather than a full land. I also think AK needs a boat ride. I think some may be holding out for a power coaster but I don't see WDW going in that direction right now - a Soarin type ride sounds about right, hope they put a different spin on it.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #30
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Thanks for the interesting read. I hadn't heard of a reveal date of December 7 before. We'll all see what happens together I guess.
Seems to be a popular week for Disney...
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: