Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #31
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR. Your pictures are great and those martinis shouldn't look so yum this early in the morning!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Second Sea Day

My husband spent the morning in the gym or reading.

I spent the morning either swimming, rainforest room, tanning on deck and reading even more books. (I finished 4 books by the end of the cruise!)

At 12:30pm, we headed to the DVC Presentation in the Tube. We already knew we were going to buy on this cruise before we did the presentation but we knew we needed to set up the appointment to buy along with trying for the free shipboard credit that they give away at the presentation. We set up our meeting to be after our Mixology class.

We got lunch by the pool. He had a chicken sandwich and I had some chicken tenders, then it was time for our Mixology class.

It was different than it was when we did the class on the Dream with both drinks and set up. On the Dream, it was set up at the bar itself with a max of 10 students (we were the only 2 there though) Here it was set up around the tables and probably about 25 people total.

We started with the most popular drink of a cruise: The Bahama Mama

He showed us how to make it and brought someone up to mix it.

Our 2nd drink was a martini. It was a play on a cosmo and jokes were made about Sex...err "Fun" in the City because apparently you can't say Sex on a Disney boat. I don't remember what was in it though as I forgot at this time

He started asking a lot of questions during this time, so as we moved to the 3rd drink - which was pretty much a rum & coke w/ lime juice, I ended up getting an additional full size sample because I acted like Ms. Know It All. (I behaved after I got my drink though)

This drink we were able to make ourselves as we based around the liquors so the drink to the side is my partially made drink as I"m waiting on the last ingredient to be based around.

Our next drink we made was a Berry Mojito. We had to muddle the berries and mint and added the rum and club soda.

Our last drink was a layered shot that we attempted to make without a spoon. It looked horrible as I couldn't make it layered. I may have been drunk at this point as I did finish some of my husband's drinks.

After this, we were headed to our meeting with DVC. This is where I'm glad we already knew exactly what we wanted. We ended up purchasing 220 points at AKV & getting 100 one time use points at SSR. This turned this vacation into the most expensive trip to date >.< We arranged to head back at 9:45pm to sign all our paperwork for the closing documents.

We then got ready for our dinner that evening!
Dis_Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
oceangirl
Mouseketeer

Oops, messed up quote function. Trying again.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
oceangirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
Um. I arrived right before the start so maybe I missed the announcement but my camera was in hand and no one said anything. I was sitting in the very back of the balcony and only took 2 pictures throughout the show.
Haha. Sorry, didn't mean to "bust" you - I thought your photo was so good and clear that is must have been a stock photo. Great shot! Enjoying your TR very much.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Loving your TR. Your pictures are great and those martinis shouldn't look so yum this early in the morning!
Glad you are enjoying my report! Martinis look yum at all time of day

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Haha. Sorry, didn't mean to "bust" you - I thought your photo was so good and clear that is must have been a stock photo. Great shot! Enjoying your TR very much.
Its ok. I'm glad you thought it was a stock photo then
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #36
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Palo Dinner

We headed up to check in for dinner. We were a bit early, so we enjoyed a cocktail at Meridian.

Le Grand Bleu - Grey Goose Vodka, Grand Marnier, Blue Curacao Liqueur, Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice, Taittinger Champagne

We shortly were led right next to the table where I was for the Palo Brunch. Our server, Laszlo, was the same one I had during the brunch. He was just as attentive and funny this night as he was before.

Antipasta Selection

Laszlo went over the menu options and we made our selections for our meal. I thought about doing a full review but everything we had was wonderful.

My meal:

Tuna Carpaccio and Lemon Oil Dressing: Thin Slices of Tuna Brushed with our Chef’s Special Lemon Olive Oil

Half Portion of Wild Mushroom Risotto: With freshly-shaved Parmesan and a Chianti Reduction

Our Beef Tenderloin “Palo”: Topped with Palo signature Barolo Red Wine Sauce

Hazelnut Creme w/ Cannoni

My husband's meal:

Sicilian Pesto Marinated Grilled Shrimp: On a Mussel, Crab, and Cherry Tomato Ragu

Half Order of Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli: With a light Burro Bianco

Fagotti di Petto di Pollo con Ricotta e Basilico: Baked Chicken Breast filled with Ricotta, Basil, and Red Peppers served with Pinot Grigio Reduction

Palo Souffle

After dinner, we headed back to the room.

I went to Wishes while my husband stayed back in the room. I wasn't a fan of the show, to be honest.

We went to bed as we knew we would be busy for our next port day.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
bsusanmb
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report and the detail. We leave in 2 weeks for our first 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy. Been on the Dream 4 nights and Wonder 4 nights, really looking forward to this upcoming cruise. Love the drink pictures!

bsusanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
aiken4mickey
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are wonderful....I'm sailing on The Dream next month...DCL cruise #11! Would love to know if you used a special setting, camera...to get such great pictures...Love reading your trip report!
aiken4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsusanmb View Post
Loving your trip report and the detail. We leave in 2 weeks for our first 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy. Been on the Dream 4 nights and Wonder 4 nights, really looking forward to this upcoming cruise. Love the drink pictures!
Enjoy your 7 night cruise! I feel its just long enough to fully relax but not be unconnected too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken4mickey View Post
Your pictures are wonderful....I'm sailing on The Dream next month...DCL cruise #11! Would love to know if you used a special setting, camera...to get such great pictures...Love reading your trip report!
Thanks. I have a Canon t2i. For most of these I was using a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I do use my 55 to 250 mm some but not often. I tend to keep my camera in the aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

St. Maarten

This morning we walked into the lounge and grabbed some Evian for the day before our excursion.

We had a breakfast in Cabanas & headed to the Tube to check in for our excursion.

We had selected the St. Maarten Island and Butterfly Farm Tour and headed to the buses to begin our tour.

We were given some history of St. Maarten as we were driven to the Butterfly Farm (it is on the Dutch side) To be honest, our tour guide had an extremely thick accent that made me tune out a lot of what she said. I know she talked about love a lot.

Butterfly Farm

Once we got to the farm, the owner's daughter came on board to give us our tour of the farm. She talked about the stages of a butterfly, life spans, and why butterflies are important.

After we walked through the farm, we were given the option of having a fruit punch drink or a rum punch drink. (Honestly, it was the same drink either way - one just had rum in it)

We then headed to Marigot for an hour break for shopping, eating, or exploring.

We did a little shopping at the nearby mall. I was able to find some spices at this french shoppe that I can't always find where I live now for a lot cheaper than usual.

We didn't buy much else as my husband couldn't find a watch he wanted.

After this stop, we were driven to an optional stop for the main shopping area on the island but we were just going to do the shopping next to the pier rather than deal with coming back to the ship on our own.

Back at the pier, we looked through the shoppes but ended up not buying anything as one place wanted a minimum purchase before you could use your credit card and my husband didn't like the watches they had for options.

We went back to the ship to grab some lunch up by the pool before we enjoyed the offerings the ship had for some activities.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Pirate Trivia

We got changed & headed to O'Gills to get some drinks to go before trivia.

My husband enjoyed a Pina Colada.

I enjoyed yet another Shipbuilder's Wife.

We enjoyed these quickly & my husband had to get us a refill before the game began.

We had fun but we lost.

As we still had some time before dinner, we headed to the rainforest room until then.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Nice to see your reviews! We're going concierge on the wonder next month, love your Remy and Palo pics! The tastings sound fun. I can't wait to try them!

So glad you finally took the DVC plunge! Will you be doing F&W next year? I'm hoping third year in a row I finally get there!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #43
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Nice to see your reviews! We're going concierge on the wonder next month, love your Remy and Palo pics! The tastings sound fun. I can't wait to try them!

So glad you finally took the DVC plunge! Will you be doing F&W next year? I'm hoping third year in a row I finally get there!
Thanks for joining in! Enjoy your upcoming cruise. The tastings are a lot of fun and a lot cheaper was of getting lots of drinks.

We most likely will be doing F&W next year but as weekends most likely. I just got home from a final interview for a job in Naples, FL so if that works out, we'll finally be Florida Residents which will change how we go to Disney. At the moment, our current trip is scheduled for Feb staying at BLT. I'll be making reservations soon for some weekends in October once I find out whats going on with that job.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Pirate Dinner

Back in 2007, I went on the Magic, sans fiancé (now Mr. Dis_Yoda.) The pirate meal during that trip was one of my favorite meals. In 2010 - we missed the pirate meal as we ate in Remy that evening, so for this cruise we made sure we wouldn't miss it.

Boy, I wish we did miss it!

I began with:

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" - oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

They were really chewy and not the chewy with crispness that is typical with potstickers. Now I realize I am really spoiled when it comes to potstickers thanks to my coworker & some of the local places around here, but these were just bad.

My husband started with:

Jerk Chicken Salad - jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips

He did enjoy the chicken but the salad was over dressed.

I had for my entree

Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi - Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple on a mild curry sauce

The plantain chips were the same as what was on my husband's salad - stale. The Mahi-Mahi was ok but the curry sauce was just too mild & needed seasoning overall.

My husband went for

The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef - thick cut of beef with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with deep red wine glaze

It was alright.

For dessert I went with the,

Banana-Chocolate Crepe - with mango coulis and coconut

Yeah, that was pretty much just a cold banana roll up. My disappointment might have slightly been my fault though I was expecting something more closely related to the nutella-banana crepe that IHOP has with the sliced fresh bananas & chocolate sauce.

My husband had

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake - with raspberry glaze and whipped cream

It was ok.

We were overall lackluster with this meal and as we headed back to the room before the show at 7:45 pirate show, we asked the concierge if we could see the menu for the next night and decide if we would choose something else other than our dinner seating that evening. The menu for that next evening didn't look good so we asked if we could try for Palo that next evening and luckily they were able to get us squeezed in.

As we still had some time before the show, we started our Muppet game around the ship as no one was doing it at that time.

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 10-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #45
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Pirate Evening Entertainment

After getting our stuff set up for the next evening, we headed to Deck 12 to watch the pirate show where there would be less crowds. They were walking around with sunken treasures in speciality glow glasses and as we hadn't gotten any at that time, we purchased 2 drinks for ourselves to enjoy before it began.

Overall it was really not crowded even on the lower deck.

After the show, we dropped off our glasses

and went out to finish our Muppet Mystery! This one was a lot better than the missing Dalmatians we did on the Dream, although taking pictures of the door & the call board helped not having to run back and forth as much.

Once that was completed, we headed to up Meridian to try to watch the fireworks from back there but the outside decks are closed off during the fireworks & 2 officers were having a meal with a lady out there so it was a bit awkward so we went back inside to have a drink before our cognac tasting.

At 10:30, we had a very small cognac tasting with it being my husband and I, 2 of the ladies I enjoyed Palo with and 1 other gentlemen.

One of those ladies brought her bottle of Utopias from Sam Adams and nicely shared it with us at the tasting. (with a larger tasting portion than they used to give at Party of the Senses years ago)

My husband discovered he really doesn't like cognac but having never had it before, at least he knows now. I enjoyed it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: