Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
travelitis
DIS Veteran

Tent or rent pop-up?

We are big Disney freaks and have stayed in the cabins but dh and I have not camped since we married. Our sons (Boy Scouts) have camped, but our family always does condos. We have decided to camp at FW in Dec and are deciding between 2 tents and renting a pop-up. We require a lot of stuff, as our son has a disability and travels with a scooter, memory foam mattress, and quite a bit of medication. My husband, who is not a camper and who is a championship complainer, is very gung-ho about the tent scenario, but I am feeling pretty skeptical about his outdoorsman skill, and it's safe to say I have none. Although we have an Eagle Scout, DH will disregard DS input, so if we have rain, we will probably have the tarps wrong and will recreate River Country. To my DH's credit, I think living in a B-Hut in Afghanistan toughened him up when it comes to camping, but it was a plywood box that someone else assembled. My questions are thus:

1) How many electrical outlets are there per site?

2) How hard is it to get the tarps right for a rookie? Do you just put one under and one over? I read something about one inside and also about not extending past the tent.

3) We will need to drive a mini-van and Hyundai plus have 2 tents, as our family of 5 cannot endure sleeping in 1 tent. (This is going to take major negotiations to get 3 kids to coexist in 1 tent.) Will that fit at the site?

4) Are we nuts thinking of tenting? Should we rent the pop-up or cancel this and get a condo as usual? (My son with the disability has to be kept warm and is immuno-suppressed, but we have 2 small heaters plus electric blankets we can bring for the tents IF we have dry weather. I wouldn't want to run them in rainy weather.)

5 Mickey bars ~ $25.00 Picture of kids with an X-Wing ~ $35 losing count of Disney trips ~ Priceless!
travelitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

If money isn't an issue, would your DH consider 1 pop up and 1 tent? I was thinking you and your child with the medical condition would be guaranteed a comfortable space in the pop up. I think this should be justifyable to your DH for your first camping trip.

I would suggest after the camp is set-up to park one of the vehicles in the parking lot near the office. I have four kids, and like yours, so I understand needing two tents. We have a 12-Person Copper Canyon tent, but the older two boys sleep in their own 4-man tent. My 18 year old is a Life Scout because he was behind in his school senior project or helping his bff with his Eagle Scout, never did his own Eagle Scout project. Or else he would have easily made it. He is just a bit lazy. In the 12-person tent, I put two queen size air mattresses in one side and that is where my husband, me, and my 10 and 9 year old sleep. So far the 10 year old boy and 9 year old boy do not complain with this set-up. The other side we keep all of our gear, cooler, small cooler, or set up a small sitting area. Once the younger kids start complaining we will probably split it to a girls side and a boys side. LOL.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
becky1960
DIS Veteran

I vote for the Pop-up camper also, we had a popup for several years and would be a little easier, with additional tent. The rains are un predictable, one year we went to Mvmcp and it was rained out, another time on Christmas day we went to dinner and had about a hour of heavy rain at MK..
becky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

In Dec I have seen a low of 26 and very damp at night. It might be an issue keeping DS warm in a tent. I'd go for the pop up and an extra tent for either stuff and or people.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

I also vote for the rental pop-up. You used the phrase "we require a lot of stuff" so the benefit is the rental is you don't have to spend time setting up camp and breaking it down (if you did the tents). You simply can "move in" to the pop-up then "move out" when it's time to go home. The rental company should come in before you to set up and come in behind you to take it down. That's a lot less stress for the entire family.

I would still bring the electric blankets if you were in the popup. The canvas will keep you dry and off the ground in case of rain. December weather can vary but I think the blankets will be good insurance. The pop-up is most likely plugged into the 30-amp plug at the power/water post which will leave you all 4 15-20 amp (regular) plugs there at the post. Plus of course the pop-up should have a few plugs scattered around inside.

Most pop-ups have two bunks (to sleep 4 people) and the dinette usually folds down to be a sleep bed for the shortest son. So it's up to you if you still want to bring one tent since you would still have setting up/taking down to do.

You will enjoy the Fort in December I hope - some campers have big decorations.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182

Last edited by bama_ed; 10-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Tented1
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="travelitis". My husband, who is not a camper and who is a championship complainer, is very gung-ho about the tent scenario, )[/QUOTE]

Let DH have his "tent scenario" and rent the pop. Then everyone is covered (literally). If the weather is good the tenting may be a great experience for the family members who want to tent. And as you view the beautiful Christmas decorations at the fort u can check out tent set ups (if u want to and have x).

Hoping you and your family have a very merry time!

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
sbnewhampshire1
Mouseketeer

Also go with the pop-up suggestion. It will take a lot of stress off of you knowing your DS will be comfortable. You could also put all of your Stuff in the tent as well as your Dh( hehehe) and whoever else wanted to stay there, if everyone wanted to stay in the Pop there would be plenty of room...Either way enjoy yourselfs and have a Very Merry Christmas the the Fort.
sbnewhampshire1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: