Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Don't some laptops have better antennas than others?
If you turn the computer (facing north instead of east) does it work better?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I found the free wifi at the Deluxes pretty good, and had free wifi at the Fort Wilderness cabins in August with no issues. MK was also good but we didn't use it more than a handful of times. I haven't stayed value or mod since they put it in but will be at a mod in February so here's hoping it's not too bad.
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Was there in Sept for a week, stayed at POFQ. Had no issues with the wifi at all. Used it on my iphone only. Do not travel with a computer. Turned off data roaming as being from Canada the charges are crazy stupid.

Used the wifi at both the resort AND MK with no issues anytime I needed it. It can get spotty during high times. But really. your on vacation. Quit complaining about a free service that Disney has put into a park. Go have fun. Really.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Alderbrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
Was there in Sept for a week, stayed at POFQ. Had no issues with the wifi at all. Used it on my iphone only. Do not travel with a computer. Turned off data roaming as being from Canada the charges are crazy stupid.

Used the wifi at both the resort AND MK with no issues anytime I needed it. It can get spotty during high times. But really. your on vacation. Quit complaining about a free service that Disney has put into a park. Go have fun. Really.
They shouldn't advertise it if it's not very good at times. My GF's husband has to have internet & access to his emails for work while he's away. He bought a data plan for while they were away & said they would have been in trouble if he didn't buy it & only relied on Disney's.

I had to go into the common areas to use my wifi & still wasn't great. It was ok if you were near the main building though. We were in building 7 & only late at night would I have a signal & it wasn't very good. I would find if I was in a hotspot all of a sudden my phone would start going off because it would finally connect. I'm not complaining since I didn't need it except to communicate with my friend who was there at the same time, but it wasn't very good IMO. I was using a BB.

My GF tried to change reservations for her dinner one night with her BB & it took her an hour, finally she ended up just using the phone & calling in the change.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderbrook View Post
They shouldn't advertise it if it's not very good at times. My GF's husband has to have internet & access to his emails for work while he's away. He bought a data plan for while they were away & said they would have been in trouble if he didn't buy it & only relied on Disney's.

I had to go into the common areas to use my wifi & still wasn't great. It was ok if you were near the main building though. We were in building 7 & only late at night would I have a signal & it wasn't very good. I would find if I was in a hotspot all of a sudden my phone would start going off because it would finally connect. I'm not complaining since I didn't need it except to communicate with my friend who was there at the same time, but it wasn't very good IMO. I was using a BB.

My GF tried to change reservations for her dinner one night with her BB & it took her an hour, finally she ended up just using the phone & calling in the change.
Not sure what advertising has to do with it? They don't advertise that you are going to get top speeds all day long. When more people are on it doing silly stuff like updating Facebook and Twitter every other second, than the speeds are going to lag behind.

They offer free wi-fi, which is more than they offered a few months ago. If one needs it for work, then it's probably best to pay for it so that way, one knows he/she will have a 100% capable and dedicated connection in which to finish that work. Hubby needs work access at times too, and so we always pay for that data on our phones (we have One Rate CDN/US monthly data on our Blackberries).

Surfing the net or updating Facebook is hardly necessary, but if work requirements are, then I wouldn't rely on Disney's free wi-fi for that.

Incidentally, we've been getting free wi-fi for awhile at the resorts as we are DVC members, and we don't have many issues at all. Old Key West is pretty strong, but we did experience a few glitches @ MK while trying to Facetime my nieces. No big deal as we waited until we got to Old Key West, and it worked a bit better.

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 10-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
Goofy's apprentice
DIS Veteran

One question....

When they say there is wifi at EPCOT do they mean wifi everywhere or that there are certain 'hotspots'?
2006 Apr-BWV, OKW --- Nov-BWV, OKW
2007 Mar-SSR --May OKW/SSR --Oct - SSMC07
2008 Feb - SSR/VWL ---Apr - Vero/SSR --- Nov - BWV
2009 Mar-VWL/SSR ---Oct - BWV/BLT
2010 Mar - BWV/THV --- Oct - SSR (for WWOHP !!!)
2011 Apr - BWV/SSR --- Oct - SSR/BWV
2012 Mar - BWV/BLT --- Oct - BWV
Goofy's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy's apprentice View Post
One question....

When they say there is wifi at EPCOT do they mean wifi everywhere or that there are certain 'hotspots'?
I used Wifi at Epcot just about everywhere...

In fact, I can't think of anywhere it didn't work...

I was even getting strong signals down the tunnel in Soain'

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

I happened to be at Epcot the first day WiFi was enabled.

I posted a mini report.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2981274

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderbrook View Post

The thing is, they are just advertising that they now have it. They haven't advertised that they have the strongest signal, or that it will be uninterupted. they have free wifi. Which is something they have not had before. you've always had to pay for a connection.

and as the poster just prior to this states, if it weren't for so many people 'needing' to be on such useless forums letting the world know what they are eating or doing at any given moment, maybe the signal wouldn't be so bad.

For those that 'have' to have internet for work, then just pay for connection. If you can not go on vacation, to actually get away from work, which is usually why people go on vacation, then don't rely on wifi, its never a gaurantee. Doesn't matter where you are. Not just Disney. Ive had issues with it in lots of places. If you need internet, then pay for it. You won't have a problem then.

And if your friend spent an hour of her time waiting for the wifi to work, then she's a fool for doing so. She could have gone to a desk, guest services, and spent a 1/4 of the time. What a waste.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
NancyK
DIS Veteran

I took my tablet to AKV - Kidani Village in January and Jambo House a couple of weeks ago - and the in-room internet wasn't good at all. It was kind of frustrating. There were two different Disney guest wifi connections - one for in-room, and a different one for the lobby.
When I really wanted to be online, I headed to the lobby where it worked perfectly.
NancyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

I'm using now at the Poly and it has been very good. No problems at all connecting and the speed has been great. Used in MK and Epcot the last couple of days and have connected quickly and done everything I want. The speed has been fine.

You do have to make sure you are logged in though. You can be seeing full bar signal but not be able to surf. That's because on first connection it gives you an address but no DNS info. It sends the DNS address after you acknowledge the login screen.

Connect and login and it's fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: