Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #466
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 21,546

I was explaining your dilemma to Fran, and she said "why doesn't she just use ours?" I have two fairly modern ones (meaning later than 2001). I had one from circa 1950's, but that one broke. I replaced it with one that I got at a garage sale for $7. My other one we bought new in 2003 when we got our first video camera to tape the band.
__________________
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #467
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I was explaining your dilemma to Fran, and she said "why doesn't she just use ours?" I have two fairly modern ones (meaning later than 2001). I had one from circa 1950's, but that one broke. I replaced it with one that I got at a garage sale for $7. My other one we bought new in 2003 when we got our first video camera to tape the band.
That is an option I hadn't considered and please thank Fran.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #468
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure
 
KCmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,463

Sorry it took me this long to join the report.

I personally would leave the tripod at home. I don't like being weighed down by equipment. Look at I'm Mikey's shot of Carsland at night. He placed his camera on a trash can to get that shot. Be creative and leave that 3 legged monster at home.

Alright now I need to go back and start this report from the beginning. Are there any Cliff's Notes?
__________________
Follow me on Flickr here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/90024104@N08/
"WDW Vet Who Found His New Home in Disneyland"
2014 Boston 2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee


Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #469
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Sorry it took me this long to join the report.

I personally would leave the tripod at home. I don't like being weighed down by equipment. Look at I'm Mikey's shot of Carsland at night. He placed his camera on a trash can to get that shot. Be creative and leave that 3 legged monster at home.

Alright now I need to go back and start this report from the beginning. Are there any Cliff's Notes?
Don't start right at the beginning....it will be my PTR/TR from Jan 2011. But there will be quick links in the second post if you want to scan quickly.


Cliff Notes for this trip??

I'm going to CarsLand.

ETA. I didn't realise that Mikey used a trashcan for his shot. I've certainly done the same in the past; but thought he'd scoped out a prime position to place a tripod. Okay. That makes a HUGE difference to know that.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #470
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 21,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
ETA. I didn't realise that Mikey used a trashcan for his shot. I've certainly done the same in the past; but thought he'd scoped out a prime position to place a tripod. Okay. That makes a HUGE difference to know that.
Still, maybe I SHOULD take the scooter. Today we went and looked at "Pre-Owned" Cars. Just the walking that I did on the dealer's lot has made my feet hurt. I think I might want the scooter that day. I can't afford to be crippled for the next 2-3 days after you leave.

We have a BIG bag that goes on the back and it fits lots of stuff, so you can use one of my tripods and we'll put it in the scooter bag. You'd be surprised what it holds. It's almost as good as Hermione's bag.
__________________
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #471
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by
 
ACDSNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 9,594

I'm sure you're DS is going to enjoy his time with the DGP and be spoiled rotten by the time your get home.

Your trip will be here soon.
__________________
Angela

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #472
dhorner233
Disneyophile
 
dhorner233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barstow, WA
Posts: 14,458

Hi Princess, Thanks for cueing me! Your plans are great! Too bad you only get one day in DLR!

I will be in DLR on the day that you will be there! Here are the crowd levels for Friday, Nov. 2

DLP 9:00 - 11:00 Crowd 3.2
DCA 10:00 - 9:00 Crowd 3.6

My priority for the day is to see Fantasmic! at either 9:00 or 10:15.

As far as the tripod. I have a little (12 inch) "gorilla" grip tripod that I bring with me. It sits on tables, wraps around railings and sits comfortably on the handle bars of the electric wheel chair I will be renting.

I saw "I'm Mickey"'s photos of Carsland!!! My DisCousin went out and bought a new camera today he has been so inspired by I'm Mickey! I didn't know he put his camera on a trash can for those shots!
__________________
Denise
dhorner233 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #473
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran
 
mvf-m11c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5,710

Just like you said that you shouldn't bring your tripod during the trip unless you bring a very light one. You also could consider a monopod. You already know me that I would bring my tripod to the parks during the nighttime show. Another idea is to get a locker at the resort and get it anytime you need it during the day.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #474
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 21,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorner233 View Post
Hi Princess, Thanks for cueing me! Your plans are great! Too bad you only get one day in DLR!

I will be in DLR on the day that you will be there! Here are the crowd levels for Friday, Nov. 2

DLP 9:00 - 11:00 Crowd 3.2
DCA 10:00 - 9:00 Crowd 3.6

My priority for the day is to see Fantasmic! at either 9:00 or 10:15.

As far as the tripod. I have a little (12 inch) "gorilla" grip tripod that I bring with me. It sits on tables, wraps around railings and sits comfortably on the handle bars of the electric wheel chair I will be renting.

I saw "I'm Mickey"'s photos of Carsland!!! My DisCousin went out and bought a new camera today he has been so inspired by I'm Mickey! I didn't know he put his camera on a trash can for those shots!
I'm not sure what the crowd level indicators mean, but perhpas the three of us should meet up for a moment to say "Hi". I've really wanted to play "where in the...." but my time has become so thinly spread and Mel keeps guessing all the DL answers I just wasn't able to play any longer....perhaps if time works out maybe we could say "hi".
__________________
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #475
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Still, maybe I SHOULD take the scooter. Today we went and looked at "Pre-Owned" Cars. Just the walking that I did on the dealer's lot has made my feet hurt. I think I might want the scooter that day. I can't afford to be crippled for the next 2-3 days after you leave.

We have a BIG bag that goes on the back and it fits lots of stuff, so you can use one of my tripods and we'll put it in the scooter bag. You'd be surprised what it holds. It's almost as good as Hermione's bag.
I think that you should take the scooter for yourself if that's what will be easiest for you.

Given what KCMike posted, I think I'm going to leave my tripod behind. And there is the option for me to borrow one of yours. We'll just see. I suspect that I'll be wanting to travel light and just use whatever is in the park if I want to go with a long exposure shot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm sure you're DS is going to enjoy his time with the DGP and be spoiled rotten by the time your get home.

Your trip will be here soon.
Aside from being here soon, we'll be meeting F2F!

Can't wait!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorner233 View Post
Hi Princess, Thanks for cueing me! Your plans are great! Too bad you only get one day in DLR!

I will be in DLR on the day that you will be there! Here are the crowd levels for Friday, Nov. 2

DLP 9:00 - 11:00 Crowd 3.2
DCA 10:00 - 9:00 Crowd 3.6

My priority for the day is to see Fantasmic! at either 9:00 or 10:15.

As far as the tripod. I have a little (12 inch) "gorilla" grip tripod that I bring with me. It sits on tables, wraps around railings and sits comfortably on the handle bars of the electric wheel chair I will be renting.

I saw "I'm Mickey"'s photos of Carsland!!! My DisCousin went out and bought a new camera today he has been so inspired by I'm Mickey! I didn't know he put his camera on a trash can for those shots!
Denise - thanks for taking the time to follow the breadcrumbs.

What a bonus! Are you going to be there at the same time? Seriously?

Are those crowd levels low numbers? I'm guessing so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Just like you said that you shouldn't bring your tripod during the trip unless you bring a very light one. You also could consider a monopod. You already know me that I would bring my tripod to the parks during the nighttime show. Another idea is to get a locker at the resort and get it anytime you need it during the day.
Bret - My tripod is one that has a monopod built in. But for the long exposure shots, I really wouldn't use the monopod.
If I were going to be longer at DLR, I would definitely bring it. But most of this trip is going to be in NorCal and it will take up space and weight in the luggage.

I'll see how I go this time without it. I'll definitely be bringing it in Oct 2013.


Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm not sure what the crowd level indicators mean, but perhpas the three of us should meet up for a moment to say "Hi". I've really wanted to play "where in the...." but my time has become so thinly spread and Mel keeps guessing all the DL answers I just wasn't able to play any longer....perhaps if time works out maybe we could say "hi".
I agree. We should try to find a time to meet up with Denise.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #476
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran
 
mvf-m11c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Bret - My tripod is one that has a monopod built in. But for the long exposure shots, I really wouldn't use the monopod.
If I were going to be longer at DLR, I would definitely bring it. But most of this trip is going to be in NorCal and it will take up space and weight in the luggage.

I'll see how I go this time without it. I'll definitely be bringing it in Oct 2013.
I see. Using a monopod won't do for long exposure shots since you can't move it. I do have a tripod that has a monopod built in it. I never took that combo tripod in the park since it is so heavy while a mid size one is perfect for me for the shows. That makes sense for you not to bring a tripod since it will take up luggage space. I am planning on bringing my tripod to WDW in a couple of weeks for the nighttime shows. You are correct that bringing a tripod takes about 1/4 of my traveling bag.

Can't wait to hear from you of how the pictures turn out without the tripod.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #477
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I see. Using a monopod won't do for long exposure shots since you can't move it. I do have a tripod that has a monopod built in it. I never took that combo tripod in the park since it is so heavy while a mid size one is perfect for me for the shows. That makes sense for you not to bring a tripod since it will take up luggage space. I am planning on bringing my tripod to WDW in a couple of weeks for the nighttime shows. You are correct that bringing a tripod takes about 1/4 of my traveling bag.

Can't wait to hear from you of how the pictures turn out without the tripod.
Bret - Given our current plans, you'll probably get to see them in situ when we DisMeet.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #478
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran
 
mvf-m11c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Bret - Given our current plans, you'll probably get to see them in situ when we DisMeet.
Your absolutely right. I will also remember to show you my pictures from my trip to WDW as well.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #479
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Your absolutely right. I will also remember to show you my pictures from my trip to WDW as well.
You'll show me yours if I'll show you mine???





(But its a deal!)
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #480
dhorner233
Disneyophile
 
dhorner233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barstow, WA
Posts: 14,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm not sure what the crowd level indicators mean, but perhpas the three of us should meet up for a moment to say "Hi". I've really wanted to play "where in the...." but my time has become so thinly spread and Mel keeps guessing all the DL answers I just wasn't able to play any longer....perhaps if time works out maybe we could say "hi".
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Denise - thanks for taking the time to follow the breadcrumbs.

What a bonus! Are you going to be there at the same time? Seriously?

Are those crowd levels low numbers? I'm guessing so.

I agree. We should try to find a time to meet up with Denise.
Yes! I am leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow to drive down. 2 nights 3 days on the road. So, I will arrive on Tuesday, Oct. 30th. I am going with my cousin. We are going to the Halloween party on Halloween night as our favorite dwarfs, Dopey and Grumpy.

We will be there until we leave on Monday, Nov. 5th. And, your one day is Friday, Nov. 2, if I remember correctly. And we were planning to hit the parks that day. It would me nice to meet at least for a moment!!

The numbers; 3.2 and 3.6 are from Touringplans.com and are based on a maximum of 10. So crowd levels of 3.2 and 3.6 are pretty good! Only a third of maximum.

Oh, and please stop by Where in the Land again. Mel has quit doing that!! She realized everyone quit playing and has even PM'd me saying we should put on easier puzzles to encourage more people to play!!! So, please give it another try sometime.
__________________
Denise
dhorner233 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: