Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #136
tink,too
DIS Veteran

I just found your TR a couple of days ago and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about all your adventures. Thank you for sharing your photos too.

We'll be visiting LV next summer then going on a DCL Alaska cruise - can't wait!
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #137
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
We like Sam's town because it's cheap, the prices aren't jacked up like the strip and I enjoy the little "park" in the center. Fran really likes Willy and Jose's for a Mexican dinner and we can entertain our selves for a long time at the cheap Black Jack tables. We don't play for the "gambling" part, just the fun of playing cards, but if we win some money, that's always a bonus. Most of the time we break even, but it's more the skill and luck part that we get into.

V&A's won't set you back too far if you stick with the main dining room. It was the Chef's Table that really knocked our budget out of the park, but it was our 10 year anniversary so we figured we deserved it.

You need to go back and go to Trader Sam's, be sure to sit inside and order some of the Signature drinks, it's really fun. You can probably make a dinner out of it if you order enough of the appetizers, we've done it a couple times, once inside, once out. Maybe next time you go I can come down and we can meet up for a drink.

Don't worry about the photos, there are at least 5-6 people who I'm following that I have that problem with. In fact today, I saw Alicia's pictures from my phone, but I couldn't read the text because I would have had to enlarge the posts so much and scroll back and forth to read each line, so I just enjoyed the Mommy and baby shots. I'll have to go back and read the text now that I'm home again.

Good luck at the career fair!
V&As will have to be a special occasion for us. We just celebrated 5 years, but we're planning to go back to WDW in 2015 I know, so far away... maybe we can celebrate 8 years haha.

We may pop back down to Disneyland in December, if we do I'll let you know and we can definitely meet up at Trader Sam's. This past time we were with another couple and she was pregnant, so we weren't exactly hitting the bars.

I loved the pics of Alicia and Calvin! How beautiful! I can't wait to see more.

The Career Fair was today. I spole with Target's people. I am thinking about going for an Executive Team Leader position, which is basically an assistant manager. I'm just hoping there will be something available when I graduate. I would imagine so, since most people are graduating in May, and they have positions for them. I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
I just found your TR a couple of days ago and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about all your adventures. Thank you for sharing your photos too.

We'll be visiting LV next summer then going on a DCL Alaska cruise - can't wait!
Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions about anything Vegas or Alaska cruise, just ask!
happenin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #138
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Pirate/ Taste of Alaska Dinner

Finally, time to update! Sorry it's been so long. I've had a lot going on at school and outside of school with longs weekends to Disneyland, family in from Mexico, and I just saw Wicked, which was amazing! this past weekend. So I left off with us just having sat down to dinner at Triton's on Pirate night, but with the Taste of Alaska menu.

Chris started with the Alaskan King Crab Legs - with Butter Sauce and fresh Herbs

Sorry for the lighting... I had the Cheese and Carrot Souffle - with Watercress Salad and light Wine Cream Sauce. It was good from what I remember.

Next I had the Yellow Pea Soup - garnished with Sour Cream and Bacon, which I enjoyed.

And I believe Chris had the Creamy Velvety Fish Soup - served with Cod Dumplings and Dill which I refused to try because it sounded gross to me... doesn't look so bad though, does it?

For dinner I had the Roasted Pork Tenderloin - served with Truffle Cauliflower Puree, Wild Mushrooms and Red Wine reduction. I don't remember being all that impressed with this.

And Chris had the Honey-Mustard Marinated Alaskan Salmon - with Sauteed Spinach and New Potatoes with a Aquavit-Sour Cream Sauce, which I told him not to order because I had read so many complaints on here, but he did anyway and he didn't think it was that great. Husbands...

For dessert, I really wanted my usual sampler trio, but I also saw this Cool -n- Crunch Sundae - Chocolate Mint Ice Cream topped with Chocolate Sauce, whipped Cream and Crunchy Meringue and I really wanted it, so I got both

Taste of Alaska Sweet Temptations - a Trio of Chocolate Truffle Torte, Poached Pear Hazelnut Cake, and Vanilla Panna Cotta

And Chris had Sticky Fig and Walnut Pudding - served with Vanilla Bean Custard Sauce and Brandy Cream

Everything was really good. I'm pretty sure that this was the night that we saw The Avenger's. There was a premier night, but we didn't go to it. We went to the smaller showing in the Buena Vista Theatre. I think it was better that way because the theatre was more empty, and I don't do so well in crowded movie theatres... anxiety, maybe, of all the people We loved the movie and just bought it on Blu-ray a few days ago. I can't wait to watch it because it reminds me of being on the Wonder which makes me very happy At some point we returned to our room and found this guy.

I'm going to end here for today. I want to go home (I'm doing this from a computer lab at UNLV while I wait for Chris to pick me up, we carpool on day I have school since his office is very close to UNLV and we live very far) and check my navigator and see if we did anything else that night that I may be forgetting to tell you. I should have some free time on Thursday between classes to do another update for you, too, so don't worry.

Up next: Character Breakfast at Parrot Cay and Ketchican

Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #139
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Thanks for all the pics of 2605. We have 2105 on our cruise next month. How did you find the room as far as location, motion, quiet, etc? Thanks!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #140
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
Thanks for all the pics of 2605. We have 2105 on our cruise next month. How did you find the room as far as location, motion, quiet, etc? Thanks!
The location was great. In the past, we have always cruised on upper decks and thought that it had to be better since it was more expensive. We would have booked a higher deck on this ship but we paid with our DVC points and we used them all up. The low deck was great because there is so much just 1 or 2 decks up on 3 and 4. Short walk up to breakfast, dinner, shopping, shows, and nightlife. It was also a short walk down to get off the ship in port. It was super quiet. We didn't have any problems with children being loud or hearing our neighbors. An Alaska cruise is unique in that while cruising the inside passage, there is rarely movement felt. The open ocean is not connected and the water is as smooth as glass. The captain did warn us the first day that we had to go out into the Pacific before entering the inside passage and that it would be rough, but we never felt anything. The ship is amazing. If you're going down to Mexico, which I have done twice on Carnival, you will most likely feel some more movement because the Pacific is known for being some of the roughest water. Hope that helps and have a great time!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #141
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Ketchikan

I looked over my navigator and it looks like I was right. We just saw the Avengers and went to bed. The next morning we had our character breakfast at Parrot cay.

This is the only day you can get a Mickey waffle, so I had to do it!

Me as Pocahontas

Chris as... a pirate?

After breakfast we went back to our room, to grab a jacket and got off the ship in Ketchikan.

We were really into this tunnel...

This creek runs through the old "red lamp" district.

Our giant heads

There's the district!

And us with the bubbling brook

Not sure what I'm looking at here, but that building behind me looks like the trendy new mid rise condos they're builing around here.

I wanted so badly to find this fish ladder!

But we knew we'd be travelling before the spawing season so there wouldn't be any fish in it. We walked up to the salmon hatchery and bird reserve. It wasn't too far. Maybe 10 minutes? We got to see a lot of really neat houses and foliage on the way. When we got there, we saw this guy.

And they had two injured eagles that were just breathtaking to look at.

Salmon look really different when they're spawning... it's kinda scary.

A short video Chris filmed of the eagles

After this we saw the areas where the salmon are hatched and raised. They were pretty much big tanks, like if you've been to a winery, but cut in half so you can see in the top of them. The whole process was really interesting, but I didn't take any photos of it for some reason...

Up next: More Ketchikan and lunch
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #142
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Ketchikan looks so beautiful! Wow! I'm going to have to go back to Alaska someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
I take it you decided against the November 25th cruise? Which one are you going on and will you do a TR before mine leaves on the 25th?
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #143
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ketchikan looks so beautiful! Wow! I'm going to have to go back to Alaska someday!
It was really nice. The best thing about the ports was that although they were similar, they were all very different. I loved them all for their own reasons. I think with more planning on a return trip, Ketchikan would be my favorite.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #144
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

More Ketchikan and lunch

After we left the salmon hatchery, we walked back to the creek district area and slowly made our way back to the ship.

The Wonder peaking through some trees.

We were really interested in the duck, but the prices were so much better in Seattle, we were going to wait and do it there.

I had been waiting the whole cruise to get a pic of these guys! The ship was always docked in a way that I couldn't photograph them.

We really loved this Bear-tivity scene we found in the Christmas shop, but it was like $79 for a set of 5 figurines, and of course they broke them down into sets that were incomplete so you basically had to get all three sets or it wouldn't make sense. For instance, I think one was 1 wise bear, a sheep, an angel, Mary, and Joseph... Seriously?

Then we went back to the ship for lunch. We had been planning to eat lunch in one of the ports to try some great local seafood, but we couldn't find any places that we didn't feel were complete tourist traps. I know I can go to Maine and get lobster dirt cheap, so why would I pay $20/ plate for salmon (which I don't love) that I'm not sure is even good? Rant over.

I think Chris had Oysters Rockefeller.

And I had shrimp.

I can't find any menu's that look accurate online, so here are our soup pics. I have no idea what they are... They must not have been any good since I don't remember them.

For an entree, I think Chris had a tuna steak.

And I had chicken.

And I decided that dessert was necessary today. Chris' Creme Brulee.

And my sampler.

After lunch, we went back into port, but we just walked around a bit and came back to the ship. We decided, like crazy people, that with a sky looking like it might snow and very low temperatures, that it would be a good time to go sit in the hot tub up at the Cove area and watch the ship pull away from up there. We got all the way up there and it had started raining.... That didn't stop my husband, he's part polar bear. I temporarily froze in my tracks, then made my way to the hot tub. Then we decided we would need some drinks to work up the courage to get back out and to our room. So we had a couple drinks of the day. We stayed there until we pulled out of port around 4:45, then we had to get back to our room to get ready for dinner, very quickly. We found this guy when we got there.

Who knew there were scorpions in AK?

Next up: Dinner at Parrot Cay
Old 10-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #145
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I did it again and re-read a bit i'd read already!

Not in any of your pictures again yet sadly although I think we could have been at lunch together in Tritons on Ketchiken day and I have an identical photo of the back of the ship.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #146
big jack 2002
Mouseketeer

Still enjoying your report!!

I just wanted to let you know we are still enjoying your report and are waiting for the next installment!!
Barbara
big jack 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #147
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Yup! Still here and reading....I wonder if they will have any of the same menu items on the MR cruise? I'm sure the menu is seasonal, but some things like the desserts never go out of season! Looks great!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #148
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your updates. Love the close up photo of the eagle when he's looking right at the camera - you can see every detail of his feathers!

Thanks for the offer of assistance with our trip to LV next year. We'll be staying for a week and will be travelling with our DD11 so it's not going to be a gambling and nightlife type of vacation. We're looking forward to visiting the Grand Canyon (I know it will be a long day, but we can't travel and that way and NOT visit! ) I'm sure we'll see a Cirque du Soleil show as well - just not sure which one yet as there is so much choice!

I'm also considering one of the horse riding treks at Red Rock Canyon as our DD would like to meet some cowboys since we'll be near the desert.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #149
Kim in TN
Disney & Dachshund Lover Lurks daily, posts rarely

Great report, beautiful pictures.
Thanks for sharing!!

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #150
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I did it again and re-read a bit i'd read already!

Not in any of your pictures again yet sadly although I think we could have been at lunch together in Tritons on Ketchiken day and I have an identical photo of the back of the ship.
I still have lots more pictures, so you may pop up in one of those
Quote:
Originally Posted by big jack 2002 View Post
I just wanted to let you know we are still enjoying your report and are waiting for the next installment!!
Barbara
Thanks for checking in! I have some time to write a quick installment now
Quote:
Yup! Still here and reading....I wonder if they will have any of the same menu items on the MR cruise? I'm sure the menu is seasonal, but some things like the desserts never go out of season! Looks great!
I know the Taste of Alaska menu replaces the Pirates in the Carribean, but other than that I would think they'd be similar. You'll just have to let us know! Dessert is my favorite, I had a cupcake for lunch today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Enjoying your updates. Love the close up photo of the eagle when he's looking right at the camera - you can see every detail of his feathers!

Thanks for the offer of assistance with our trip to LV next year. We'll be staying for a week and will be travelling with our DD11 so it's not going to be a gambling and nightlife type of vacation. We're looking forward to visiting the Grand Canyon (I know it will be a long day, but we can't travel and that way and NOT visit! ) I'm sure we'll see a Cirque du Soleil show as well - just not sure which one yet as there is so much choice!

I'm also considering one of the horse riding treks at Red Rock Canyon as our DD would like to meet some cowboys since we'll be near the desert.
I'm not a gambler and I outgrew Vegas nightlife when shortly after I reached the legal age... If you're planning to do the Grand Canyon and back in one day, it will probably be a long day. It is an amazing sight to see, though.

I recommend LOVE as far as Cirque du Soleil. I just love LOVE! I saw it for the third time this past Sunday (it was my husband's fourth time!) I have seen it from all parts of the theatre from the very last row to very close to the front. I think it is best to be further back so that you can see everything that is going on. So much of it is up in the air, if you are too close, you'll be looking up the whole time. The sound in the theatre is amazing and the performers just do an incredible job. If you are interested in that show I would suggest checking out the mirage website (the hotel where the show is) and look into the dinner and show packages. The restaurants are amazing. We got a locals discount on tickets so we couldn't combine it with the show package, but we ate at BB Kings before and had a great time and enjoyed the food. Also, they have special deals for tickets on nights that don't sell well, and they currently have a deal up for 2013, if you're interested. I've also seen O, but I didn't like it very much. Most people love it, but it just wasn't for me.

There is a cool place out near Red Rock called Bonnie Springs. They have a petting zoo, which your daughter might be too old to be interested in, but they also have an old Wild West town and gun fight shows and things like that. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. And if you have any questions, just ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in TN View Post
Great report, beautiful pictures.
Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks! This vacation has definitely produced the best pictures I've ever taken.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: