Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #106
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer5150 View Post
I think its an awesome idea too.
I have no notions that I'm so important that Disney is going to track me personally and if you think about it, knowing excact wait times or that an area needs more staff attention is brilliant. My credit cards already have rfid in them so the idea of my info on a bracelet doesn't scare me either. Criminals aren't going to go to crazy lengths when there are much easier, faster, and less visible ways to go about their dishonesty.
These are my feelings exactly
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #107
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Newer credit cards have an RFID chip in them but are at risk, so hoping these will be not as easy to rip off the info. Thief just stands next to you and they get the info. So if you see someone stand by you then suddenly run towards your next FP-try to beat them there.

Or keep it covered in aluminum foil between rides.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5772197...ds-purse_.html

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Systems
A thief cannot scan "conventional" credit cards through the walls of a purse. He can, however, target a new generation of credit cards that use "hands-free" RFID technology. Designed to save consumers time at the checkout counter, hands-free credit cards can be read by the register from a range up to 18 inches.

How to Foil Would-Be Identity ThievesQuite simply, use foil! Inserting sheets of aluminum foil inside the lining around your purse will block or "attenuate" both incoming scanner radio waves and any response signals emitted by your card.
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #108
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSF View Post
How wide are most of the walkways? They probably will simply line the borders with scanners, who knows perhaps allowing multiple scanners to triangulate where you are rather than giving simply 10m location bubble.
The point is having a AP every 10m is an IT impossibility. They will not be using these to actively track where everyone in the park is at every second. The range insinuates triggers or tracking at selected points such as entering a ride queue or at purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSF View Post
Not sure how they do the KTTW cards when you say you can charge with them, but I was under the impression it simply had a "charge" tag when you swipe it, then it used its own internal network to get your CC info to charge with, so there could be know "skimming" of your credit card info as it's not actually on the KTTW card... at least I HOPE that's the way it's done. I doubt the bracelets will be much different, you're not going to have any valuable information stored on them so no worries about them being stolen.
If someone skims you're KTTW at WDW and makes a replication they can do the same things that you're KTTW card can do. Make purchases, enter parks and even your room. I agree that the info gleaned would not be useful outside the parks as it is probably just an identifier to the Disney computer systems that houses the real info.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #109
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco

If someone skims you're KTTW at WDW and makes a replication they can do the same things that you're KTTW card can do. Make purchases, enter parks and even your room. I agree that the info gleaned would not be useful outside the parks as it is probably just an identifier to the Disney computer systems that houses the real info.
They don't get your resort or room number though, and it would be caught at a fast pass or admission location. Once it's caught, they can invalidate it pretty easily, and they'll reverse any charges or admission uses. Even if they do figure out your resort and room number, all of your valuables are in the safe, right?

It's just not a useful thing for thieves to go for. Far easier and more useful to skim credit cards.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #110
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

One has to wonder why Disney..

Would go to these bands if they could not profit in some way from them. Paper ticket stock costs a fraction of what these bands will cost to produce. I agree Disney will somehow use them to track you and use it to their advantage some how, some way. Disney is in the business of making money first everything else is a bonus. They must have plans on using these for some type of profit generating just not sure how at this time. In time we will eventually all get the story of why they are purposely cutting into their ROI.

I do not wear anything on my wrists and hate the idea of having to do so. Plastic in summer will sweat like crazy.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #111
MikeSF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
The point is having a AP every 10m is an IT impossibility. They will not be using these to actively track where everyone in the park is at every second. The range insinuates triggers or tracking at selected points such as entering a ride queue or at purchase.
I dunno, I would think planting all the flower that they do would be a landscaping impossibility... yet they do it :D

Maybe not every 10m, but I'm sure there will have quite a few of them around the park, simply using them for rides/purchases seems like such a waste. Granted my deviant mind does tend to go a little deeper, but simply knowing how many people are in a given area could help dictate whether to put additional concession stands, or remove sidewalk shows because it's creating too much of a bottleneck, or even in a very Disneyian future where you see a board with ride times, perhaps you can also see how crowded certain areas of the park are! It would be way awesome for parades so you can see where to go without wasting your time.

Overall, this is primarily for Disney info though, much less for convenience for patrons unless its a side effect (i.e. accurate ride times), at least that would be my guess.
MikeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #112
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I am so confused. Once the geek terms start going my mind goes blank so could someone please explain what this means in layman's terms? Thank you.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #113
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
Would go to these bands if they could not profit in some way from them. Paper ticket stock costs a fraction of what these bands will cost to produce. I agree Disney will somehow use them to track you and use it to their advantage some how, some way. Disney is in the business of making money first everything else is a bonus. They must have plans on using these for some type of profit generating just not sure how at this time. In time we will eventually all get the story of why they are purposely cutting into their ROI.

I do not wear anything on my wrists and hate the idea of having to do so. Plastic in summer will sweat like crazy.
Who ever said it was going to be mandatory and/or free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
I am so confused. Once the geek terms start going my mind goes blank so could someone please explain what this means in layman's terms? Thank you.
Which part?

Disney is implementing RFID technology throughout Walt Disney World. RFID is a short-range wireless radio signal tech which has many applications. The most obvious application is the door locks at Walt Disney World resorts. Most resorts have already had the RFID locks installed. Now, instead of swiping your room key through a magnetic strip reader, you simply tap the plastic card on a small door panel. The short-range RFID signal unlocks the door and you're in.

Other applications they appear to be working on include:
- Park admission (tap to enter the park)
- Fastpasses
- Payment system (tap to pay)

And more.

It's clear Disney is working on some sort of interactive attraction queues which would leverage the RFID tech. Depending upon what sort of personal information Disney wishes to collect and the information you wish to provide, as you walk around the parks interactive features could be programmed to know the names of people in your party, special events (birthday, anniversary, etc.), favorite characters, favorite colors, park you visited yesterday, things you did earlier in the day ("did you enjoy riding Space Mountain?"), things you haven't done yet ("there is only a 5 minute wait for Pirates of the Caribbean now") and so on. No specifics are known at this time but given the technology involved, the possibilities are endless.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC

Last edited by tjkraz; 10-10-2012 at 11:01 PM.
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #114
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Who ever said it was going to be mandatory and/or free?

Which part?

Disney is implementing RFID technology throughout Walt Disney World. RFID is a short-range wireless radio signal tech which has many applications. The most obvious application is the door locks at Walt Disney World resorts. Most resorts have already had the RFID locks installed. Now, instead of swiping your room key through a magnetic strip reader, you simply tap the plastic card on a small door panel. The short-range RFID signal unlocks the door and you're in.

Other applications they appear to be working on include:
- Park admission (tap to enter the park)
- Fastpasses
- Payment system (tap to pay)
And more.

It's clear Disney is working on some sort of interactive attraction queues which would leverage the RFID tech. Depending upon what sort of personal information Disney wishes to collect and the information you wish to provide, as you walk around the parks interactive features could be programmed to know the names of people in your party, special events (birthday, anniversary, etc.), favorite characters, favorite colors, park you visited yesterday, things you did earlier in the day ("did you enjoy riding Space Mountain?"), things you haven't done yet ("there is only a 5 minute wait for Pirates of the Caribbean now") and so on. No specifics are known at this time but given the technology involved, the possibilities are endless.
Sounds very 1980's futuristic like right out of Back to the Future part II lol
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #115
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
This part does absolutely ZERO for me.

Having someone wish me Happy Birthday or call me by name because the computer chip triggered it means ZERO to me. Sort of like getting a birthday postcard from my insurance agent.

Now, having the Fairy Godmother call my daughter by name because it's the SAME Fairy Godmother we have met and chatted with for years because she REMEMBERED?

Pure Disney magic. And you'll never replicate that with a computer chip.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #116
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I think for a small child it wouldn't matter if the CM knew his or her name because she remembered or because she was told.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #117
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
How about a Fairy Godmother CM you've never met before knowing your daughters name because it's transmitted from her RFID bracelet and transmitted to her earpiece?
Nope. Zero. Means nothing to me.

I love Disney because of the moments of real magic we've experienced there. Human moments involving people without a touch of technology involved. THAT is what impresses me.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #118
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Yea personal stuff forget it-BUT if Grandkids are in the future I may change my mind.

But FP and ride times would be nice, esp what FP dist times currently are (even in other parks), that way we can leave EPCOT and know RNR FPs will still be avail for example.

I hope it has a temp on it, just to see what the weather is and the pool temps etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #119
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

This bracelet will be a major problem for parents of kids with special needs like autism. My son is on the spectrum and hated having any kind of bracelet, usually the paper ones, when going to amusement places that required them. He would not wear it and I had to carry it around for him.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #120
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
How about a Fairy Godmother CM you've never met before knowing your daughters name because it's transmitted from her RFID bracelet and transmitted to her earpiece?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Nope. Zero. Means nothing to me.

I love Disney because of the moments of real magic we've experienced there. Human moments involving people without a touch of technology involved. THAT is what impresses me.
Those moments are great, but I personally have never had a moment as you described, of someone remembering me from years before. (In fact, I've more often experienced meeting a CM later in a trip and NOT being remembered.) Now, I've had some pretty great magical moments over the years, including Jasmine and Aladdin getting out of there M&G area to go get our daughter who was being shy, but I could easily see how these magical moments could happen more often with a bit of technological magic.

So, I'm gonna argue that it may mean nothing to YOU, but for a kid to have Cinderella or Aladdin call him/her by name can be a pretty amazing and memorable thing. And if it makes a magical memory for my child, I have a hard time saying that has zero meaning.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: