Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings91 View Post
Terrible idea. I don't want to walk around for week with a bracelet on.

And what happened to the "going green" initiative that eliminated the EMH wristband because they were adding to landfills. I'm no tree-hugger, but I'm saying a electronic, battery powered polyurethane wristband, worn by 10's of thousands of people everyday is a little more polluting then few paper strips.
Those were exactly my first thoughts, too.

Not excited about the prospect ~ at all.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Was it mentioned anywhere that they had batteries?
From the link in the OP

Quote:
The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio."
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
DisFamily73
Earning My Ears

I think it's an all-around bad idea as well even though something clearly needs to be done to fix the existing system.
DisFamily73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Well, I'm happy to hear that they are using active (battery-powered) RFID tags. This kind of technology will make unauthorized skimming much, much more difficult compared to a system using only passive tags. They can use rolling codes or challenge-response authentication.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of using passive RFID tags as room keys. In my mind, it's like leaving every balcony door unlocked. Someone could've discretely skimmed tags from guests' pockets. (Based on my recent post on the DVC boards, most people either don't understand the technology, or simply accept the risk.) I like WDW's proposed active tag system a lot better.

Really, I'm okay with WDW tracking my every move, as long as their system is hacker-resistant. Active tags, with their relatively long reading distance, will allow WDW to do a lot of interesting things.
It's passive RFID, not active.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #35
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

I hate wearing bracelets. I don't wear a watch or anything else around my wrist. Even long sleeves bug my wrists. I will probably leave this in my pocket (not that it will fit as well as the KTTW did).

I just hope they aren't like wrist bands at the local water parks that aren't removable without cutting them.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
DARuss
Tag. You're it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Well they would have to convert all the turnstiles, FP machines, Photopass readers, cash registers and hotel door locks (did I miss any?). I think its going to take a bit of time.

It could be done in phases but then you would have to carry this and a KTTW card.

As for door locks I know they installed them at AoA because they were all new but I thought I had heard that they may have started at some other resorts. Also how many attractions have the new readers?
I assumed this as well but haven't heard any other rumors yet. Can we assume that it is already installed in the new Fantasyland?

Just wondering if the is a timeline rumored yet???
Dis Dads Club Dad#16 BushWackers are Baaaaaaack.....a PTR for 1/09 trip
Me DW DD13 DD27
Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 1975, Contemporary Dec '76 & July '85, All Star Movies Jan '07, Pop Century '12, '13 & 14 Boardwalk Villas Jan '08, '09, 10 & '12, Feb '11 & '13.
DARuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I would think they'd have to be removable for showering and sleeping.

I'm wondering if servers in restaurants will have to carry scanners (ipads) for guests to charge meals and/or tips to the rooms? Another thought is that perhaps these will be color-coded for resorts to prevent pool hopping? Will they eventually be tied into the refillable mug stations (remember the RFID testing at AS Sports?)?

I wear bracelets all of the time and don't mind something on my wrist as long as it's loose-fitting and comfortable. I think it would be more convenient to scan your wrist for purchases, using a FP, using a room key, etc. that it is to dig out a card from a bag or pocket. I liked the RFID room cards at CSR last month. It was just a quick tap and we were in the room.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

I think it should be a necklace, and if you try entering two different parks on the same day without a park hopper ticket it'll blow up your head a la Scanners.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #39
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Anybody else notice they are assembled in China? So much for made in the USA
It says "Designed in the USA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings91 View Post
Terrible idea. I don't want to walk around for week with a bracelet on.

And what happened to the "going green" initiative that eliminated the EMH wristband because they were adding to landfills. I'm no tree-hugger, but I'm saying a electronic, battery powered polyurethane wristband, worn by 10's of thousands of people everyday is a little more polluting then few paper strips.
RFID does not work by a battery. There is a capacitor inside that is charged when it come in close contact with a transmitter and then drains quickly. It is a passive technology.

----

I expect them to be removable. This would allow them to be put anywhere a KTTW card could and to not be worn when showering. It would be a plus to be able to wear then to swim and not have your card left with your stuff.

Last edited by ilovemk76; 10-06-2012 at 10:24 AM.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #40
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Anybody else notice they are assembled in China? So much for made in the USA
That caught my eye as well.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #41
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

The other day I went to Six Flags America in Maryland and had something similar to this for ride reservation times. You'd hold it up to a machine to choose a ride and time, and the machines were scattered throughout the park. They were tight enough to stay on easily, but made of a stretchy material so they could be removed.

I would object heavily to a non-removable bracelet, even if it was waterproof. I simply would not want to wear something like that nonstop for multiple days, and I can't imagine it being popular with children (or their parents).
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #42
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

I DO NOT like these on the wrists. For comfort, security, looks, ... I don't like them for the parties, I don't even like the ones for the beach club pools..

I hope they are something you can take on and off, so person can go for fast passes and such.
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I like it! Great Wolf Lodge already do this and it makes it so convenient. Once you're checked in there, my wallet goes in the safe for the duration. The wristband gets me into my room, the waterpark and if linked toa credit card, all my onsite purchases. What Disney is doing looks exactly the same and I think it's about time.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #44
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
It says "Designed in the USA".

RFID does not work by a battery. There is a capacitor inside that is charged when it come in close contact with a transmitter and then drains quickly. It is a passive technology.

----

I expect them to be removable. This would allow them to be put anywhere a KTTW card could and to not be worn when showering. It would be a plus to be able to wear then to swim and not have your card left with your stuff.

The bracelets will have a coin cell battery.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #45
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

It would be great if they could tie these in with the refillable mugs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: