Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
karly05
DIS Veteran

I'm in the "don't wanna wear a bracelet" camp. Surely it could be worn on a lanyard, clipped to a bag, etc., as long as it's on your person somewhere. ???
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
LaurieN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
am I the only one not excited about wearing a plasticy bracelet in the Florida heat and humidity! Yucky, sweaty, rubbery, blah!
No you are not alone!!! I hate the idea, not for myself but for my son. He has sensory issues and any kind of wristband bothers him!!! When we go to MVMCP he pulls at the wristband from the minute they put it on him, midway thru the night it's usually off. I can't even imagine him wearing one our entire 10 day trip
Laurie
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
lillykat
DIS Veteran

In addition to all the points made- I am not happy to see that it has names on it. I don't put names on my girls' hats or clothing I am not happy to have their name on a bracelet for anyone to see and read.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
In addition to all the points made- I am not happy to see that it has names on it. I don't put names on my girls' hats or clothing I am not happy to have their name on a bracelet for anyone to see and read.
I'm also afraid that, especially with a too-big bracelet made cheaply, it will be easier to lose and break it. At least with the KTTW cards, I can stick the card, my school ID, gift cards for the day, and any FP's in a small zippered section of my purse and not have to worry about losing it.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
P'colaBeachBum
Go 'Noles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Anybody else notice they are assembled in China? So much for made in the USA
Saw that. Good grief...we need made in America Mickey! Guess I'll have to keep the band in my pocket or elsewhere. I don't wear a watch or bracelets..can't stand anything on my wrists.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

I loved the idea. So much better than carrying around the KTTK card. As long as I can remove it to shower and to sleep I'm more than okay with this idea.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings91 View Post
Terrible idea. I don't want to walk around for week with a bracelet on.

And what happened to the "going green" initiative that eliminated the EMH wristband because they were adding to landfills. I'm no tree-hugger, but I'm saying a electronic, battery powered polyurethane wristband, worn by 10's of thousands of people everyday is a little more polluting then few paper strips.
Probably the same amount of plastic as a kttw card and no batteries . I will give people the not wanting to wear a bracelet.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
CarpeDisney
Mouseketeer

I have mixed feelings about this new system. I'm sure it is going to provide some cutting-edge experiences in the parks, but what I'm really not looking forward to is....

Post-Disney-Trip wrist tan lines.
(If Disney was thinking through this initiative, they'd have a Mickey head cut-out in the bands to give all guests a Mickey head shaped tan mark. How's that for a marketing idea?)

On a serious note, I can't wait to try it out to see just how Disney plans to use it around the parks and resorts.

My Visits:
1984 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 2003 POR, 2005 Poly, 2006 CSR, 2007 CSR, 2007 POR, 2008 Off Site, 2009 SSR, 2009 AKV, 2010 AKV , 2010 Dolphin,
2011 BLT
, 2011 SSR, 2012 BLT, 2013 BLT
CarpeDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Well, I'm happy to hear that they are using active (battery-powered) RFID tags. This kind of technology will make unauthorized skimming much, much more difficult compared to a system using only passive tags. They can use rolling codes or challenge-response authentication.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of using passive RFID tags as room keys. In my mind, it's like leaving every balcony door unlocked. Someone could've discretely skimmed tags from guests' pockets. (Based on my recent post on the DVC boards, most people either don't understand the technology, or simply accept the risk.) I like WDW's proposed active tag system a lot better.

Really, I'm okay with WDW tracking my every move, as long as their system is hacker-resistant. Active tags, with their relatively long reading distance, will allow WDW to do a lot of interesting things.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Well, I'm happy to hear that they are using active (battery-powered) RFID tags. This kind of technology will make unauthorized skimming much, much more difficult compared to a system using only passive tags. They can use rolling codes or challenge-response authentication.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of using passive RFID tags as room keys. In my mind, it's like leaving every balcony door unlocked. Someone could've discretely skimmed tags from guests' pockets. (Based on my recent post on the DVC boards, most people either don't understand the technology, or simply accept the risk.) I like WDW's proposed active tag system a lot better.

Really, I'm okay with WDW tracking my every move, as long as their system is hacker-resistant. Active tags, with their relatively long reading distance, will allow WDW to do a lot of interesting things.
Was it mentioned anywhere that they had batteries?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #26
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Doesn't matter if they are passive or active either way it has to send a signal that can be picked up and copied to another band. Unless you have to scan it and then type in a password it will be subject to hacking. Have we not learned anything from the RFID credit card skimmers??? I would be great for location awareness or anything that is inconsequential but when you attach it to an account (i.e. tickets, room entrance so on) it is not a secure technology.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #27
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
In the article linked in the first post.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #28
DARuss
Tag. You're it.

Is there a date set for these are to begin?
Not just for testing.
Dis Dads Club Dad#16 BushWackers are Baaaaaaack.....a PTR for 1/09 trip
Me DW DD13 DD27
Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 1975, Contemporary Dec '76 & July '85, All Star Movies Jan '07, Pop Century '12, '13 & 14 Boardwalk Villas Jan '08, '09, 10 & '12, Feb '11 & '13.
DARuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARuss View Post
Is there a date set for these are to begin?
Not just for testing.
Well they would have to convert all the turnstiles, FP machines, Photopass readers, cash registers and hotel door locks (did I miss any?). I think its going to take a bit of time.

It could be done in phases but then you would have to carry this and a KTTW card.

As for door locks I know they installed them at AoA because they were all new but I thought I had heard that they may have started at some other resorts. Also how many attractions have the new readers?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
Doesn't matter if they are passive or active either way it has to send a signal that can be picked up and copied to another band. Unless you have to scan it and then type in a password it will be subject to hacking. Have we not learned anything from the RFID credit card skimmers??? I would be great for location awareness or anything that is inconsequential but when you attach it to an account (i.e. tickets, room entrance so on) it is not a secure technology.
Not an expert but its my understanding that adding battery means it can randomly scramble the codes sent like the fob for your car. and/or its has to respond properly to a random code sent from the reader.

One of these days I going to truly figure out public private key encryption. Where I think you somehow give the password out to everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: