Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

You know, at the beginning of a vacation, how you have that hair standing up on the back of your neck, come on, hurry up, we HAVE to get going, NOW, feeling!!??!!

We've all been there, right? Usually after all the preparation, packing, preparing, purchasing and philandering, whoops, think that should be on Dr. Phil, so leave out the last 'p', we get to go!!

Well, prior to leaving Grammie sent Mommy to sleep over at her friends house. After all, Mommy had a lot of hours of driving ahead!! The car was packed, the grandmunchkins were watching cartoons, movies and charging their i-pads and Mommy was sleeping.

So, in the deep of night, er, early morning, we were off!!

No pictures at 0400, so as not to awaken the grandmunchkins. The thing about driving to Orlando from central TX, is that is takes a LONG time just to get out of TX. But soon, it was light out! Someone is excited!!

The grandmunchkins, err, not so much. But at least they were busy!!

Sept. 2012 TR: It's a Jungle Out There!!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989662
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

So, as you can see, we were a little but 'tucked in.' The stroller sat between the boys on the way to Orlando. On the way home it found a new home, donated to Marriotts Cypress Harbour, as they accepted it as a loaner.

We got a good start traveling, stopping at Wal Mart for a break and a breakfast break at their Mickey D's. Sorry, no picture, except for these.

Yeppers, it really says that on cups from TX.

Here is our car, in the Wal Mart parking lot, somewhere in small town TX.

And, yes, we bought even more stuff to fit into the car!!

One thing I can say about TX, is that the roads, even the roads through rural areas are well maintained and easily navigated. Here is an example.

So, we were on our way, and doing quite nicely, both time wise and traveling mode wise.

Sept. 2012 TR: It's a Jungle Out There!!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989662

Last edited by ShortStuff; 10-01-2012 at 03:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

So, 'on the road again', which unfortunately for my daughter and grandmunchkins, they did hear a time or two.

I wont bore you with the two hundred and seventy six pictures through TX, however, I will show you our first traffic jam. Road work in Louisiana, but hey, that's what lets us keep traveling, right?!

This next picture was a mile or so up the road, and it made me miss our Dodge Durango, sitting in the driveway at home.

When what to our wondering eyes should we see!!?? Yeppers Lake Charles, with visions of Steamboat Bills, dancing in our heads.

But alas, it wasn't time for lunch yet, the grandmunchkins were being good travelers, so we put our seafood cravings aside, and figured we would stop in Rayne at the candy store instead!! Oh, the harships of life.

Last edited by ShortStuff; 10-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

One of our favorite stops in Louisiana is the Candyland Cottage in Rayne, LA. It is great, as it has a lot of old fashioned candy and gum, 'toy' candy, like the little planes filled with hard candy, ice cream and the Worlds Larget Gunny Bears and worms. Yeppers, worms. My grandsons love this place. We often end up stopping on the way back from Orlando, but this was mid morning and time for a break.

You can find some really fun things, some of which I remember from childhood. I'll let you 'feast your eyes'.

Cute, but I've never bought one.

This was so huge, that my grandmunchkins gave up after about a fifth was gone.

My attempt at 'artsy'

More candy!!

Sorry, can't find the gummy pictures right now, but I shall try later and will post them then!!

Last edited by ShortStuff; 10-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Found the largest gummy bear and worm:

The grandmunchkins haven't asked for one.....yet.

Rayne is not only known for Candyland Cottage, but for being the frog capitol of the world. Having lived in CA most of my life, I thought that was Calavares County and annual frog jumping contest. Live and learn. Please excuse the glare, but this will give you the idea.

A couple of more random shots, including one of the whole brood!! Make sure and sign the guest book if you visit. I added my Dis name in the book.

And of course, the obligatory clean/themed bathroom shot.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yeah! You finally started. Great road trip so far. You grandmunckins are adorable!

Ok - that is seriously one small car. But, I admire your worthwhile attempt to save gas expenses. And as long as you got everything in the car and everyone was comfortable, well then Yeah!!!!!!

That is definitely the biggest gummy worm I have ever seen. Wow!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yeah! You finally started. Great road trip so far. You grandmunckins are adorable!

Ok - that is seriously one small car. But, I admire your worthwhile attempt to save gas expenses. And as long as you got everything in the car and everyone was comfortable, well then Yeah!!!!!!

That is definitely the biggest gummy worm I have ever seen. Wow!
You're sweet!! We saved a ton over driving the Durango and for the most part we were pretty comfy. Bye the time we got home and unloaded, I had no idea how we ever got everything in the car!! I'll be posting more soon!! Thanks so much for reading!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

So after our much needed respite, to stretch legs, as well as the little ones tummies, we were back on the move!

We were really quite blessed! The weather was gorgeous, the traffic minimal and the roads smooth!

Our next big landmark is 'the bridge'. Anyone who has traveled this route, knows the bridge and what it signifies. To us it means we have reached our half way point and a little more!!

This is beginning to feel like our drive. Too long. Soon is was evening and we stopped at the Waffle Shop to eat. I had hash browns and my daughter had a sandwich. The boys got a waffle and and egg. None of us ate much, as we had been in the car so long We pushed on, until we reached,

Love this tunnel as we are in Alabama and soon will be in Florida!!! They grandmunchkins love the tunnel also and this really got them excited! They love big cities and whenever we went through one, they were convinced we needed to move to a city just like it.

Well we drank 5 hour energy drinks and coffee, but by 4 am, 24 hours after leaving home, we were done. My daughter suggested we try to sleep for an hour or two in the car, but the boys woke up as soon as we stopped.
we knew we were only about 3 1/2 hours away, but we found a place to sleep and shower.

The night time manager gave us a 'deal' and said we could have a 2 queen room, for $40, free breakfast if we were up in time, or we could sleep until noon. The room was clean, but the next morning we were happy we hadn't really looked around too closely, as there were a lot of beer bottles lying around the first floor.!

The boys loved the room, in fact they woke up as soon as we got inside.

So we took off their shorts, tucked them in and got up again around 9:30 to shower and get on our way!!

Before we knew it we were clean, stopped for breakfast at a drive by, we had charged i-pads and were on our way!!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #24
mom24mouseketeers
Earning My Ears

Signing on! Can't wait to read more!

T
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom24mouseketeers View Post
Signing on! Can't wait to read more!

T
Thank you so much for joining!! I should have more chapters up later today, but first post trip groceries, laundry etc.

I am looking forward to more of your trip also!!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
littleaussie
I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25% Australian

Looks like you arrived the same day we did .

But you got to stay much longer than us, lucky duck!!!

Love the pics so far, grandkids are super cute
January 2012 - Celebrating engagement with a Disney trip with a stay at WH
January 2011 - WH trip that will not be repeated!
December 2009 - Oak Plantation stay with Disney visit disaster
May 2008 - Traveling the WB Repo 2008 with an ex. . .
January 2006 - WDW at Oak Plantation+ Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
2003 and earlier - Numerous family trips too many to count!

Tags
akv, budget, fiat, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: