Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearth View Post
I would demolish the whole thing and start over.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I'm definitely not one that enjoys this ride....and I LOVE movies and movie history.

As I see it, the first problem was that someone had some idea early on in the planning stage that they needed a guide to kind of replicate the success of the MK Jungle Cruise. But, for whatever reason, those corny Jungle Safari jokes always seem to work and the GMR jokes just don't. And I don't think it's always the case that it's the guide not being good at it, or even the material. I think it's more a problem of subject matter. No matter what kind of movie you like, everyone agrees that movies are cool. Corny jokes and stereotypical characters are what the worst movies are made of, not something that should be showcased as Hollywood's success.

A Great Movie Ride should either showcase the best ever movies (and just great Disney movies would be fine with me), or somehow make attendees feel like they are IN the great movies. A GREAT Movie Ride would do both.

I guess I would rather see a short history of film. Start in the queue area with silent films, etc. Then get on the ride, but have the ride take you through popular sets, but also have large screens incorporated that show more movie history. Add a host on screen like they do with Figment or Ellen's Energy. Maybe a treasured Disney character could be the host or even someone like Kurt Russell. Have some simulations that makes the ridegoers feel like they're flying through hyperspace or other great, recognizable scenes from movies.

OR, instead of going through movie history, have the car ride through different genres of film. So, you start with Drama, move to Comedy, enter War, then Animation, then Science Fiction, etc.
A short history of film might be nice and informative. But I think the idea goes hand in hand with something I always thought of as an issue with regards to Hollywood studios / mgm studios as a whole. It's still in the midst of discovering its identity.

If i'm not mistaken...MGM was all about showing people HOW movies are made, later on Hollywood studios kind of set up the concept of putting you into the Hollywood that one always dreamt of, but never was. I dunno doesn't sound specific enough and kinda gets a bit confusing to me when I try to understand it too much. LOL!!

The simple concept of: "putting YOU in the movies", I think probably works best. Oh sure, it's been done before, but at its core isn't that what most people connect with? Aren't movies part of people's want and desire to "escape"? To be part of the story being told?

I think people tend to have more fun when they become immersed in the film, rather than discovering how it was made, or being taught a lesson about its history.

For this reason, i'm more interested in making GMR, about immersing people into various scenes. It might work best, and easiest, using some kind of virtual simulator ride, but there is something to be said, about the tactile, true 3 dimensional look, of animatronics and real physical sets.

How such immersion would actually be accomplished? I leave that to the imagineers. But. perhaps a cohesive story, could tie things together, much like the old figment, set up a story to tell us about imagination. Maybe they could come up with some kind of character that could transport us INTO the movies.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #32
JenLoy
Mouseketeer
 
JenLoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 453

The que definitely needs an update and rather than showing scenes from movies on the big screen bring in more props and costumes for folks to look at as they wound around the que. At one point I remember there being a dinner jacket that Gloria Swanson wore in Sunset Boulevard in one of the glass cases. We need more items from classic Hollywood. The horse from Mary Poppins is great but it takes up so much space. Perhaps it could be hung from the ceiling and have a few more items in the glass cases or shorten the que capacity and place more items all the way down the theater. Also, rarely do I get to the loading area without having the movie start over. The video could be updated and move scenes from more movies to expand the run time.


We need to keep classic scenes from the golden era of Hollywood on the actual ride but there could be some tweaking. For instance, they could do a great scene from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or Seven Year Itch and Marilyn Monroe would be recogonized by most guests. I could replace an existing scene or a trim could be done to one of the others (Tarzan, maybe?)

Have always loved the great movie ride and hated it when the giant hat was plopped down in front of it to hide the Chinese Theater background. I would love to see Disney throw some new life into it.
__________________
November 1990 - Offsite / May 1992 - Big Red Boat Cruise - Contemporary /Nov 1994 - Offsite /Feb 1996 - Port Orleans/Nov 1997 - 25th Anniversary Celebration - Poly / May 2000 - POFQ / August 2000 - GF & POFQ / June 2001 - GF / August 2002 - 100 Yrs of Magic -Contemporary/ October 2003 - MNSSHP - AS Sports / May 2004 - SOG / May 2005 - Happiest Celebration - SOG /Dec 2005 - GF / Feb 2006 - Pop Century / Aug 2006 - Our First Ever Disneyland Trip!!!! / May 2007 SOG /Nov/Dec 2007 - AS Music and CB / May 2008 SOG / Nov 2008 CB/ April 2009 YC, 1st Disney Cruise, and POFQ /Aug 2009 AS Movies, niece's 10th Bday / Oct 2009 CB (Pirate room) - 7th Wedding Anniversary / Aug 2010 Pop Century, niece's 11th Bday /April 2011 Pop Century / D23 Expo - Aug 2011 / Oct 2012 - 10 Year Vow Renewal at Wedding Pavillion - GF and CB / Aug 2014 Pop Century, Niece's 14th Bday / Oct 2014 CB, 1st RunDisney Race TOT 10 Miler

JenLoy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #33
ZoeisMommy
ºoº Earning My Ears
 
ZoeisMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 420

I am sure this will cause enough controversy on the love/hate Alien group (because I LOVE Alien franchise) but its not kid friendly at all. I say replace it with star wars...add the classic Luke/Vader scene

I say shorten Tarzan and add Avatar (instead of a WHOLE land at AK) Keep Casablanca and wizards of Oz. Maybe update the western and mob scenes to newer movies that are in the same genre

And istead of all the corniness I would love to hear the movie facts and tidbits people don't know that went on behind the scenes. I do agree with a PP if you have John Wayne why not Marilyn?? And love someones idea of Forrest Gump. They could create a timeline..2 Oldies, 4 Classics, 2 new movies

But that's just my honest opinion
__________________
ZoeisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
MadameMim
Mouseketeer
 
MadameMim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearth View Post
Ask yourself this, or ask family and friends, how much do you remember about the Jungle Cruise? Describe the different things that happen or what the guide says. Then ask them to describe the Great Movie Ride and what happens. The Great Movie Ride is utterly forgettable.

I'm typically not one of those people that call for changes to Disney stuff because I think a lot of that stems from people going to Disney so much that they're bored with it. They forget that for many people, it's all new to them, BUT The Great Movie Ride is a disaster on first viewing, or at least a missed golden opportunity that could be SO much better.
Aw! I completely disagree with you!

My family just returned from our second WDW trip. The first time (6 years ago) we missed TGMR all together. I was pregnant and sick the day we were at HS and most of our HS park time was spent sitting on various benches.

So anyhow, we all LOVED TGMR! My husband and I both enjoyed it, as did our four children (10, 8, 5 & 3). We were lucky enough to be in in the first row and when the gangster took over the tour we were all surprised and shocked and totally sucked in. He heckled my kids and my daughter's (5yo) eyes were as big as saucers. He was GREAT! It was very memorable and simply an awesome Disney experience.

This thread kind of breaks my heart a little. We had such a lovely magical day at Hollywood Studios and enjoyed it to the max, just as it is.
Well, adding the Monsters Inc. coaster would be fine by me.
__________________
Magical Marvelous Mad Madame Mim
aka Melissa

mom to 12yo boy, 10yo boy, 7yo girl, 4yo boy
WDW trips: 2006 Pop, 2012 POR, 2013 AoA Cars Suite, 2014…trying out FW Cabins this fall
MadameMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #35
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,019

The ride. That's what I would change. I'd rip the whole thing out and build a new exciting (non-thrill) water ride instead, with a Tangled or maybe UP! theme, as I love water rides, there are none in HS, those films are ace and I'd love to see a ride based on one of the newer movies. Plus they would both would suit a water ride.just imagine wht they could o with the lantern scene.... A little random I know.
__________________
Sept/Oct 2005 - WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1 week - honeymoon
Jan/Feb 2007 - WDW - All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Nov 2007 - DLP - Dream Castle Hotel - 4 days
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip!
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip

MAR 2014 - DLP - HOTEL CHEYENNE - 5 DAYS - BIRTHDAY TRIP!
Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #36
ZoeisMommy
ºoº Earning My Ears
 
ZoeisMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss
The ride. That's what I would change. I'd rip the whole thing out and build a new exciting (non-thrill) water ride instead, with a Tangled or maybe UP! theme, as I love water rides, there are none in HS, those films are ace and I'd love to see a ride based on one of the newer movies. Plus they would both would suit a water ride.just imagine wht they could o with the lantern scene.... A little random I know.
What kind of water ride? MK has Splash Mountain and AK has Kali River Rapids. Rumor has it they are replacing the beloved B&TB stage show at HS with Tangled (which I absolutely am OK with)
__________________
ZoeisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #37
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeisMommy

What kind of water ride? MK has Splash Mountain and AK has Kali River Rapids. Rumor has it they are replacing the beloved B&TB stage show at HS with Tangled (which I absolutely am OK with)
I know, but I was thinking more like Pirates of The C./Maelstrom or mabye even like Small World/The Land/Three Caballeros. I love those kind of rides, they don't exclude anyone like thrill rides do, and I wish they'd have a couple of them in HS a couple in AK too. Ain't very likely to happen though, and certainly not exactly the way I'm describing it. I'm guessing rides with tracks are much cheaper and easier to maintain.

I like the B&B stage show! But I think I'd love a Tangled stage show, plus i'd be all new, so I hope the rumour is true. Although I'd rather have both
__________________
Sept/Oct 2005 - WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1 week - honeymoon
Jan/Feb 2007 - WDW - All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Nov 2007 - DLP - Dream Castle Hotel - 4 days
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip!
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip

MAR 2014 - DLP - HOTEL CHEYENNE - 5 DAYS - BIRTHDAY TRIP!
Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #38
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kettering, UK
Posts: 5,983

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearth View Post
I would demolish the whole thing and start over.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I'm definitely not one that enjoys this ride....and I LOVE movies and movie history.

As I see it, the first problem was that someone had some idea early on in the planning stage that they needed a guide to kind of replicate the success of the MK Jungle Cruise. But, for whatever reason, those corny Jungle Safari jokes always seem to work and the GMR jokes just don't. And I don't think it's always the case that it's the guide not being good at it, or even the material. I think it's more a problem of subject matter. No matter what kind of movie you like, everyone agrees that movies are cool. Corny jokes and stereotypical characters are what the worst movies are made of, not something that should be showcased as Hollywood's success.

A Great Movie Ride should either showcase the best ever movies (and just great Disney movies would be fine with me), or somehow make attendees feel like they are IN the great movies. A GREAT Movie Ride would do both.

I guess I would rather see a short history of film. Start in the queue area with silent films, etc. Then get on the ride, but have the ride take you through popular sets, but also have large screens incorporated that show more movie history. Add a host on screen like they do with Figment or Ellen's Energy. Maybe a treasured Disney character could be the host or even someone like Kurt Russell. Have some simulations that makes the ridegoers feel like they're flying through hyperspace or other great, recognizable scenes from movies.

OR, instead of going through movie history, have the car ride through different genres of film. So, you start with Drama, move to Comedy, enter War, then Animation, then Science Fiction, etc.
I agree some old gangster movies, Alien which came out in 1979 and Indiana Jones which came out in 1981 its just lame now rip it out and put something more contemporary in its place.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
Waddler
Mouseketeer
 
Waddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 211

I'd like TGMR a lot more if the statues better resembled the stars that they're supposed to portray. As is, they're kind of creepy. Maybe they could swap them out for very realistic wax figures (like Madame Tussauds).
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23

I think a lot of the difficulty and complexity of this issue with changing GMR is that fact that the subject matter is so dynamic.

Movies are constantly changing, moving with the times, and sometimes helping define the times. Capturing all of that in a bottle (so to speak) is incredibly difficult and complex.

We're not talking about building an attraction off of one movie (TSM, Little Mermaid, etc), we're talking about an attraction that is supposed to center around ALL movies. And that's a pretty tall order.

Personally, a complete re-imagining, redesign, or possibly even replacement of this attraction would be a welcome change.

A truncated history of cinema might work, although I would be more partial to have an attraction that placed you in memorable movie scenes.

- dodging "King Kong" (original black and white) on the empire state building
- soaring through the divided waters in "Ten Commandments"
- travelling through the dark and creepy hallways of the "Alien" spacecraft
- racing through the grid in "Tron" *had to add a disney film LOL!!
- and to add a splash of modernism...trekking through the jungles of Avatar's Pandora.

As I had said, while the history of film would be informative and possibly entertaining, i think placing people "IN" the films would garner much better reactions.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja
 
bellanotte10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mousechusetts
Posts: 2,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronDisney
I think a lot of the difficulty and complexity of this issue with changing GMR is that fact that the subject matter is so dynamic.

Movies are constantly changing, moving with the times, and sometimes helping define the times. Capturing all of that in a bottle (so to speak) is incredibly difficult and complex.

We're not talking about building an attraction off of one movie (TSM, Little Mermaid, etc), we're talking about an attraction that is supposed to center around ALL movies. And that's a pretty tall order.

Personally, a complete re-imagining, redesign, or possibly even replacement of this attraction would be a welcome change.

A truncated history of cinema might work, although I would be more partial to have an attraction that placed you in memorable movie scenes.

- dodging "King Kong" (original black and white) on the empire state building
- soaring through the divided waters in "Ten Commandments"
- travelling through the dark and creepy hallways of the "Alien" spacecraft
- racing through the grid in "Tron" *had to add a disney film LOL!!
- and to add a splash of modernism...trekking through the jungles of Avatar's Pandora.

As I had said, while the history of film would be informative and possibly entertaining, i think placing people "IN" the films would garner much better reactions.
Love this post! Where's the like button?
__________________
bellanotte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #42
DisneyAllyC
Princess Ally
 
DisneyAllyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
The ride. That's what I would change. I'd rip the whole thing out and build a new exciting (non-thrill) water ride instead, with a Tangled or maybe UP! theme, as I love water rides, there are none in HS, those films are ace and I'd love to see a ride based on one of the newer movies. Plus they would both would suit a water ride.just imagine wht they could o with the lantern scene.... A little random I know.
Oooh I want them to do Tangled!!!
__________________
Princess Allyson
"No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true! Everything you do, celebrate you!

1998:First trip to Disney-Polynesian
2004: Pop Century
2005: All Star Music
2007: Saratoga Springs
2009: High School Senior Trip-All Star Sports

4 days until my next trip to Disney World!
DisneyAllyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
The ride. That's what I would change. I'd rip the whole thing out and build a new exciting (non-thrill) water ride instead, with a Tangled or maybe UP! theme, as I love water rides, there are none in HS, those films are ace and I'd love to see a ride based on one of the newer movies. Plus they would both would suit a water ride.just imagine wht they could o with the lantern scene.... A little random I know.
There's no room to do a water ride in there.

Besides, GMR is the reason DHS is there. I can't see it being changed that drastically
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #44
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23

I agree that GMR has a classic (maybe even iconic) value to the park. After all, if i'm not mistaken it was one of it's original attractions. But, if that's the case, such an iconic attraction, needs to be updated every now again...and I don't mean little touches here and there.

Again, this falls back to my thought that "movies" being such a big, general, dynamic subject matter, is quite complex and difficult to "contain" within the confines of any one attraction. The best one can do to get a good cross section of movies, is to continually update the attraction.

Movies are much like music. While there are classics to be sure...music tends to move with time, and the music of past generations many times does not connect with people of the current generation. Ask most kids (or maybe even young teens) who they recognize more: Tom Jones or Pitbull, The Monkees or One Direction.

GMR desperately needs that update.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #45
Agent555
Mouseketeer
 
Agent555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing4PA View Post
Well, my first reaction was going to be that it's fine as it is (not "great" but fine enough) and if they just replaced the Alien section with something else, that would be change enough for me.
But it seems I'd be outvoted! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
That makes two of us. "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship!"



I just don't think the Alien/s series is classic enough to be included. I like the Star Wars idea and also Psycho. The ride is supposed to be a homage to classic Hollywood (as is the entire park) so it gets tricky when you are trying to decide on which modern movies to include. Will they stand the test of time?

When the Studios was built, the Great Movie Ride was supposed to be the super headliner for the park. How times have changed!
I AGREE 3 VOTES FOR REPLACING THE ALIEN SECTION!!! I've been on the GMR at least a dozen times and the Alien scene still freaks me out!!! I close my eyes... I can't watch the movies either.!!!
__________________
M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E...MICKEY MOUSE, MICKEY MOUSE
Dad Mom Sister BrotherInLaw ME BF Brother Harley

No new trips...YET!!!
"It is nice to see people here my age who haven't grown up either." Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by Agent555; 09-26-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: adding info
Agent555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.