Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

Wow... I have a lot to respond to

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderALLIE View Post
I personally like the idea of the DP on wedding night but that's because I'd rather have wedding dress firework photos then a nice dress fireworks photo.

Whatever you decide will be right for you.
Yea, I feel you on that... I just didn't know if it was too much on one day. Plus, I know this is probably really dorky, but I always envisioned our reception ending with the Jiminy Cricket line from after Wishes... "Thanks folks for making this little gathering of ours so extra magical..." That wouldn't really work if we were heading off to the DP after. I guess that means that we couldn't do Wishes DP on the night before because they would hear it twice and it would kind of lose its effect! Or I could tell them to make sure they cut the feed off right before it. Those 2-3 minutes right after Wishes with the slower music in the background with the warm Florida night and headed for an ice cream cone on Main Street is my absolute favorite moment ever... it's my most favorite time and place ever. Ok I'm getting sappy now lol.. moving on.

PS When you first posted on this thread, I had just told my sister, Allie, about the thread on the phone and then saw that "CinderALLIE" had just posted. I assumed it was her!! I called her up and told her how cute I thought her login name was and she had no idea what I was talking about! I thought it was funny. Does "Melb, Australia" mean Melbourne? I spent 2 weeks on the around Melbourne and the Gold Coast back in 2004 and LOVED it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedream88 View Post
Yay for having a date!!

With the 2:30pm time, a dessert party the night of the wedding will really cut into your reception time (like shortening it by over an hour and a half). But if that's what you want to do then it's all good. Plus who doesn't love Illuminations??

You can also do the dessert party the night before as a welcome party or a rehearsal dinner replacement. Just keep in mind though that if the dessert party is on the night before, none of those costs count toward your minimum expenditure. If that doesn't matter then you should be set.

...Thanks! I made sure to keep track of those little details. I'm a 2013 bride too (August), and I'm actually doing the 12pm wedding so I could have my DP the night of. It was easier, since I wanted a full reception in addition the DP.

Also Christie, I went to a wedding at Corpus Christi back in January - it is such a beautiful church!!!!
I'm thinking we might have to up the ceremony time to 12 then... Is it really too early to do a dinner reception after? Can you still count it as a lunch if the reception starts at 1? Yay for lower minimums for lunch!!

Did Corpus Christi need many decorations? I really don't want to pay for floral and decorations twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysStarTrader View Post
Hi Christie! Love what you've posted so far, I never knew that little hideaway existed next to the Universe of Energy. What an adorable proposal! And he caught you completely off guard now you two have your own special place in Epcot!

I'm subbing and can't wait to hear more! I'm a 2013 bride too (October)

This is a really good point about the minimum. If you were to have your ceremony at Corpus Christi and needed to make up your minimums, you'd need to have the DP on the day of your wedding. Obviously the choice is yours! Would you like a smaller number? Would you like to build up the wedding day excitement? If you really wanted your DP on the day of your wedding, maybe you could move your wedding time a little earlier, say noon if it's available, so as not to cut into your reception time. I think that would be a shame personally if you had to cut it short
Thanks for following along! October will be such a nice time in Disney. I don't think we are going to have any problems meeting minimums... too many people want to come! I think you're right... if we are paying for the full time at ADH, I should use it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckledginger View Post
Hi Christie!

You got your date!! That's fantastic news!! You must be so excited! It all starts to feel a bit more real when you have the date, eh?

I can imagine that it's a bit challenging to decide between having the ceremony in WP or in a Catholic Church... I guess it depends on personal preference. Did you always picture yourself getting married in a Church? No matter what you decide, the wedding will be gorgeous. I've seen photos of brides who elected to get married in a church and then hold their reception on WDW property, and those weddings looked lovely. So I think you'll be a winner with either venue

Yay for adding a DP! I think they're so fun! Selecting between Illuminations and Wishes is a difficult choice... Because the Food and Wine Festival is going on during my wedding, Illuminations was out for me. I was looking at either Wishes or Fantasmic. I prefer Fantasmic as a show, but the location where the party is held is at the back of the theatre and not as picturesque (in my opinion) as the GF.
As far as Illuminations versus Wishes: a lot of brides seem to choose Illuminations because it allows for the wedding party to go into a theme park, and you're really close to the action. Wishes is a fantastic show, and you don't have to pay venue or viewing fees for your guests, but may have a bit more of a removed feel since you're not actually in the park. I'm not too worried about this... I think the experience will be fabulous, but I guess it depends on what you envision the DP being like.

I can't really comment on whether it's better to have the DP on the night of the wedding or not, since as a DCL bride, mine is going to be a separate event. We're doing it as a welcome party the night before the cruise departs. I thought it'd be a good way to get people excited about the wedding. If it helps with your minimum though, as the other brides mentioned, may be helpful to have it on your wedding night. For your guests, it would be the cherry on top of an amazing day!

Good luck with your planning! I'm looking forward to hearing more!
It's a tough call. I would love it either way, but I know my dad really wants us to get married in the church. Diane, the wedding planner I've been talking to, says some people get married officially in a Catholic church before they come and use the ceremony at the WP as a "vow renewal" of sorts. I'm excited about seeing pictures from your DP at the GF. Are you doing Sago Cay or the Marina? Diane said my group would probably be too big for Sago Cay and would have to go to the Marina. Are you having photography for your DP?

And I know this might be blasphemy to even ask such a question on the Disboards (Especially in this section), but have you girls ever had second thoughts about being married at Disney and the cost? I know you can definitely do it at the minimum, but not with the number of people that want to come for me. Part of me thinks we should do it at home and put the rest of the money towards a DVC membership. The thing is, I know somewhere deep down that if I do it at home because I think it will be cheaper, we will wind up spending the same because of all of the extra people (probably over 200 as opposed to 75 or so).
Cmdbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

And now I'm sitting here watching youtube videos of Wishes (as if I haven't seen it 50+ times and used to listen to it on repeat while I was studying)... I think Nick is going to lose out on this battle. Man, I love that show.

"We're all just children reaching for our dreams, shining high above us... and even though it seems so far... we put our faith and hope on a shooting staaaaaar..." (why isn't there a singing smiley??)

Last edited by Cmdbuddy; 09-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
enchantedream88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdbuddy View Post
I'm thinking we might have to up the ceremony time to 12 then... Is it really too early to do a dinner reception after? Can you still count it as a lunch if the reception starts at 1? Yay for lower minimums for lunch!!

Did Corpus Christi need many decorations? I really don't want to pay for floral and decorations twice!
Nope, not too early! Food won't be served (realistically) until 3-3:30pm anyway, so you should be okay. And if your pre-reception is starting at 1, you will still get lunch pricing.

I don't remember if Corpus Christi needed much decoration. I think you may want a little floral, but not a ton.

And, if your consultant is the same Diane I had, she is amazing! I loved working with her! I hope my planner is just as good as she was.

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

D&B's Wishes Wedding PJ - August 3, 2013
enchantedream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
CinderALLIE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PS When you first posted on this thread, I had just told my sister, Allie, about the thread on the phone and then saw that "CinderALLIE" had just posted. I assumed it was her!! I called her up and told her how cute I thought her login name was and she had no idea what I was talking about! I thought it was funny. Does "Melb, Australia" mean Melbourne? I spent 2 weeks on the around Melbourne and the Gold Coast back in 2004 and LOVED it!!
That's too funny with your sister.

Yes Melb is my abbreviation for Melbourne as they wouldn't let me put the whole thing and Australia. I'm actually 30 minutes from Melbourne but it's easier to say that then people going "where?" LOL.

Glad to hear you loved your Aussie holiday.

18/10/09-9/9/09 - First trip to Disneyland with side trip to Walt Disney Family Museum *Backstage Magic Tour and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel*

MY LIFE SUCKS!! No trips planned, hopefully late 2014 or sometime in 2015
CinderALLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

Well not much going on here. I think we decided on the Arndt's for photography. They will do a engagement session for us when we are down in December. I am also 100% sure we are going to do the 12:00 ceremony instead of 2:30. Waiting for a call back from Diane on that one.

I went to my first bridal show the other day. Let me just say, I'm not the most girly girly person, and I really stepped out and went to this scared to death. I didn't have anyone with me, and honestly most of it was local vendors. This creepy videographer tried to convince me to fly him down to Disney. No thank you. I tried a piece of cake and then got incredibly uncomfortable when these people tried to convince me to do boudoir photos for Nick. Not that I'm against it or anything, just didn't want to talk about it. So I got all embarrassed and left. It was kind of a waste of $20... I could have gotten a whole cake for that much from the grocery store I had tried to get Nick to go with me and he goes "it's not a bridal and groomal show" *sigh*
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
enchantedream88
Mouseketeer

I'm using the Arndt's for my wedding too! We are doing our engagement shoot in November. I'm so excited - they are so awesome!!! Plus Vicki is a sweetheart!

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

D&B's Wishes Wedding PJ - August 3, 2013
enchantedream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
Freckledginger
Mouseketeer

It's a tough call. I would love it either way, but I know my dad really wants us to get married in the church. Diane, the wedding planner I've been talking to, says some people get married officially in a Catholic church before they come and use the ceremony at the WP as a "vow renewal" of sorts. I'm excited about seeing pictures from your DP at the GF. Are you doing Sago Cay or the Marina? Diane said my group would probably be too big for Sago Cay and would have to go to the Marina. Are you having photography for your DP?

And I know this might be blasphemy to even ask such a question on the Disboards (Especially in this section), but have you girls ever had second thoughts about being married at Disney and the cost? I know you can definitely do it at the minimum, but not with the number of people that want to come for me. Part of me thinks we should do it at home and put the rest of the money towards a DVC membership. The thing is, I know somewhere deep down that if I do it at home because I think it will be cheaper, we will wind up spending the same because of all of the extra people (probably over 200 as opposed to 75 or so).
[/QUOTE]

Hi Christie,
I agree it's a tough call about the ceremony venue. At least you have a couple of options DCL brides are required to have legal ceremonies before the ship departs, so our actual wedding ceremonies I guess are technically just vow renewals. I just think of it as the legal part is being done separately from my ceremony. So maybe doing more than one ceremony would work well for you. You could do a religious commitment ceremony in a Catholic Church near home, and then have your wedding ceremony and celebration at Disney World.

Our DP is going to be at Sago Cay. I love the look of the Marina, but since we're only going to have about 40 people, SC was a better size for our group. I've never been there before, but I'm really excited about the DP. The venue looks really pretty, and we're having the area modestly decorated as well, so hopefully it'll be a good environment for the party I am having photography at the DP. One of the bonuses of having it outside a theme park is that I can hire an enternal photographer to take photos. So I've asked my Boudoir/Engagement/Wedding Photographer, Jessica Cumbie, to photograph the event. I'm not too fussed about getting photos of us in front of the fireworks (maybe a couple, but I'd rather enjoy the experience than have to pose for the camera), so she's mainly going to try to capture the food/decor and people.

I think you raise a really valid point about the cost of a DFTW. After I had started booking things, I realized how quickly the costs were adding up, and was like geez, should I really be spending this much? I think it's really a personal choice. For me, it was really important to have a nice wedding. I knew I could afford big and nice, so I went for small and nice. DF has said many times that he would be happy with just a small courthouse wedding, but he's happy indulging me Would it be possible for you to do a small wedding and reception at WDW with your closest family and friends as well as a commitment ceremony and at home reception for everyone else? Or is that just over complicating things?

Yay for getting the Arndts! Their work is brilliant!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

Pre-RSVPs

Super Stoked!!

Was home this weekend and got more details ironed out- enough to create our Pre RSVPs. They are printed and stuffed... just waiting for us to finish collecting addresses to send them out. What do you guys think?

The "newsletter" is in a "booklet" fold in half 11x17 thing and the blue page is separate for them to send back to us. I couldn't bring myself to fold them in 3rds for a regular envelope (they are just so pretty...), so I sprung for the full sized white envelopes. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Just following along...your newsletter is amazing!!! I would've sprung for the larger envelopes too, since I hate when things get wrinkly in the mail. Looking forward to reading more
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
LyndsayJ
Mouseketeer

Everything looks great so far!

I love your story...penpals that reconnected after so long...so cute! My fiance is in the Navy...so I could relate a little on the deployment...we've been through 2 together (he's had 3 total).

Thomas (the fiance) is also a converted Disney fanatic...he had been once before meeting me and we've since gone several times! Star Wars Weekends certainly doesn't hurt in convincing him to go.

Very clever on the date you picked! I wouldn't have thought to schedule around a holiday to have that 3 day weekend on anniversaries.

I can relate on the cost of a Disney wedding...right now, we have 129 confirmed guests and I hate looking at costs. My parents are paying for the majority of the wedding, but I can't help but feel bad about the costs. They've told my fiance and I to consider it as them making an investment in our relationship...and therefore if we screw it up, then they'll be pissed because we aren't making good use of theis investment.

Your newsletter looks great! I wish we would've thought to do something like that to get a better idea of how many we thought would be attending...we have the same hotels in our room block too.
LyndsayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
MickeysStarTrader
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my squishy

I love the newsletters!! You are so organized having that down so quick!
MickeysStarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Daydream View Post
Just following along...your newsletter is amazing!!! I would've sprung for the larger envelopes too, since I hate when things get wrinkly in the mail. Looking forward to reading more
Thanks! Hopefully they won't be too much more to mail... I have some going to Canada and England!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndsayJ View Post
Everything looks great so far!

I love your story...penpals that reconnected after so long...so cute! My fiance is in the Navy...so I could relate a little on the deployment...we've been through 2 together (he's had 3 total).

Thomas (the fiance) is also a converted Disney fanatic...he had been once before meeting me and we've since gone several times! Star Wars Weekends certainly doesn't hurt in convincing him to go.

Very clever on the date you picked! I wouldn't have thought to schedule around a holiday to have that 3 day weekend on anniversaries.

I can relate on the cost of a Disney wedding...right now, we have 129 confirmed guests and I hate looking at costs. My parents are paying for the majority of the wedding, but I can't help but feel bad about the costs. They've told my fiance and I to consider it as them making an investment in our relationship...and therefore if we screw it up, then they'll be pissed because we aren't making good use of theis investment.

Your newsletter looks great! I wish we would've thought to do something like that to get a better idea of how many we thought would be attending...we have the same hotels in our room block too.
Aww... bless you guys for going through multiple deployments together. We have this discussion a lot Me: "aren't there any jobs that prevent you from being deployed" Nick: "Not really..." I ask like every other week hoping the answer will change

Love converted Disney fanatics. I grew up with it, so I couldn't see how anybody would think otherwise. My mom told me I should have put at the end of the "Fast Facts" saying that he's caught the Disney bug... "or else I wouldn't have said yes!" Which is kinda true.

Wow, that's a lot of guests! I'm gonna go read your PJ as soon as I post this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysStarTrader View Post
I love the newsletters!! You are so organized having that down so quick!
Thanks you! I understand how planning a Disney vacation can be stressful for some people (I don't see how or why, I love it!) so I wanted to give them enough heads up!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
LyndsayJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks! Hopefully they won't be too much more to mail... I have some going to Canada and England!

Aww... bless you guys for going through multiple deployments together. We have this discussion a lot Me: "aren't there any jobs that prevent you from being deployed" Nick: "Not really..." I ask like every other week hoping the answer will change

Love converted Disney fanatics. I grew up with it, so I couldn't see how anybody would think otherwise. My mom told me I should have put at the end of the "Fast Facts" saying that he's caught the Disney bug... "or else I wouldn't have said yes!" Which is kinda true.

Wow, that's a lot of guests! I'm gonna go read your PJ as soon as I post this

Thanks you! I understand how planning a Disney vacation can be stressful for some people (I don't see how or why, I love it!) so I wanted to give them enough heads up!
Deployments are not easy...but doable! He just came back from his last one in May actually. Luckily, he is up for shore duty orders and will be separating from the ship in a little over a month! That means 4 years of no deployments...although the job he is going to still has potential for a lot of travel...it won't be 6 - 8 months at a time!

I kinda grew up with it as well...however Disney and I had a love/hate relationship early in life. The first time I went, I was about 3 years old and was terrified of EVERYTHING!! Not just everything at Disney, but everything in general. I cried, screamed, and whined through It's a Small World, even...my dad had to leave the Indiana Jones show about 5 mins in due to me being too scared...in short, I ruined our family vacation. We all laugh about it now. My dad and I went to Disney on our own a few years ago...just went a day ahead of everyone else since we had the day off work...I then learned that he had actually never returned to watch the Indiana Jones show. As we sat down he said something about 'redemption' and I asked what he meant...that's when he told me he never went back since he drug me out of there when I was three.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
Cmdbuddy
Mouseketeer

Asked My Bridesmaids...

Thanks to pinterest, a simple thing that should just be a phone call turned into a full blown crafting event that lasted several weeks. Hopefully none of them will stumble onto this thread in the next few days, since they just went out in the mail today.

The pin that inspired the whole thing is this one: DIY Ask Bridesmaids. I had to make it Disney-style.

So here we go.. you can pretend like you're opening the boxes.

I had to make these address labels because I accidentally folded the box upside down and when I closed the top, "12x9x6" was smack dab in the middle. Oops! I thought the labels came out cute though.

Right when you open it...

Take out the tissue paper...

Take out the ears...

The make up bags have a mini mascara from 100% pure in them... they are fruit dyed!

Take out everything else...

The all had notes in them to each girl that I wrote on these:

In other news... walls are going up in my office this week!!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
LyndsayJ
Mouseketeer

The boxes look really cute! I only made phone calls and kicked myself when I saw the cute stuff / ideas pop up on Pinterest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: