Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearth View Post
I would demolish the whole thing and start over.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I'm definitely not one that enjoys this ride....and I LOVE movies and movie history.

As I see it, the first problem was that someone had some idea early on in the planning stage that they needed a guide to kind of replicate the success of the MK Jungle Cruise. But, for whatever reason, those corny Jungle Safari jokes always seem to work and the GMR jokes just don't. And I don't think it's always the case that it's the guide not being good at it, or even the material. I think it's more a problem of subject matter. No matter what kind of movie you like, everyone agrees that movies are cool. Corny jokes and stereotypical characters are what the worst movies are made of, not something that should be showcased as Hollywood's success.

A Great Movie Ride should either showcase the best ever movies (and just great Disney movies would be fine with me), or somehow make attendees feel like they are IN the great movies. A GREAT Movie Ride would do both.

I guess I would rather see a short history of film. Start in the queue area with silent films, etc. Then get on the ride, but have the ride take you through popular sets, but also have large screens incorporated that show more movie history. Add a host on screen like they do with Figment or Ellen's Energy. Maybe a treasured Disney character could be the host or even someone like Kurt Russell. Have some simulations that makes the ridegoers feel like they're flying through hyperspace or other great, recognizable scenes from movies.

OR, instead of going through movie history, have the car ride through different genres of film. So, you start with Drama, move to Comedy, enter War, then Animation, then Science Fiction, etc.
A short history of film might be nice and informative. But I think the idea goes hand in hand with something I always thought of as an issue with regards to Hollywood studios / mgm studios as a whole. It's still in the midst of discovering its identity.

If i'm not mistaken...MGM was all about showing people HOW movies are made, later on Hollywood studios kind of set up the concept of putting you into the Hollywood that one always dreamt of, but never was. I dunno doesn't sound specific enough and kinda gets a bit confusing to me when I try to understand it too much. LOL!!

The simple concept of: "putting YOU in the movies", I think probably works best. Oh sure, it's been done before, but at its core isn't that what most people connect with? Aren't movies part of people's want and desire to "escape"? To be part of the story being told?

I think people tend to have more fun when they become immersed in the film, rather than discovering how it was made, or being taught a lesson about its history.

For this reason, i'm more interested in making GMR, about immersing people into various scenes. It might work best, and easiest, using some kind of virtual simulator ride, but there is something to be said, about the tactile, true 3 dimensional look, of animatronics and real physical sets.

How such immersion would actually be accomplished? I leave that to the imagineers. But. perhaps a cohesive story, could tie things together, much like the old figment, set up a story to tell us about imagination. Maybe they could come up with some kind of character that could transport us INTO the movies.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: