Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Minnie/Mickey's Houses Demolished???

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that due to the new Fantasyland changes that they were or have demolished Mickey and Minnie's houses? I really hope not, they are so cool. I know they aren't rides but Mickey and Minnie ARE Disney. Hopefully, I am confused about the demolition.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post
Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that due to the new Fantasyland changes that they were or have demolished Mickey and Minnie's houses? I really hope not, they are so cool. I know they aren't rides but Mickey and Minnie ARE Disney. Hopefully, I am confused about the demolition.
They're long gone. Toontown, as a whole, is gone, actually, to make way for the Fantasy Land Expansion (FLE).

Pretty much all the structures...Mickey and Minnie's houses, Donalds boat, etc) went bye bye as they were building out the FLE expansion. The only thing left is Goofy's Barnstormer (rethemed) and, I think, the main "Fair" tent (aka giftshop) I think might still be there....rethemed as well.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Luckily Mickey and Minnie have maintained their California residences.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity
Oh ya these have been gone for a long time but you can still visit mickey on main street USA the new area where the houses used to be story book circus is pretty cool with the new dumbo's , updated barnstormer and all
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
cupcakefairy2u
Its just me the cupcake fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
Luckily Mickey and Minnie have maintained their California residences.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

I am all for the new Fantasyland but wish they could have incorporated their houses elsewhere, thought they were a real cool feature.

However, I did hate the photo op with Mickey and Minnie at the back of the houses, it was just so un-inspiring!
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

As many have posted, Mickeys/Minnie's house has been gone for a while due to the expansion.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

So sad but at least we have photos.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Take a trip to Disneyland. Not only is Toontown still present at DL but it's many times better than Walt Disney World's ever was.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Jen413
Earning My Ears

Booo!

I still can't believe that they would just demolish them. I've taken the same picture of my girls on Minnie's fireplace since our first trip in 2007, and I was so sad to find it gone in 2011. Little ones actually believe that Mickey and Minnie live there, and they were always one of the most magical parts of our trip. I like to believe they were able to move them until they find a new home for them one day. It makes no sense to me that they would get rid of such an awesome feature.
Jen413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
bentopher
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
I still can't believe that they would just demolish them. I've taken the same picture of my girls on Minnie's fireplace since our first trip in 2007, and I was so sad to find it gone in 2011. Little ones actually believe that Mickey and Minnie live there, and they were always one of the most magical parts of our trip. I like to believe they were able to move them until they find a new home for them one day. It makes no sense to me that they would get rid of such an awesome feature.
I agree.. I like to think they were some how kept in tact and put into storage to do something with them later. I can't believe they would actually demolish them!

May 2013 Pop Century: Star Wars Weekend. The boys 2nd trip. And first trip with Grandma (who hadn't been in 15ish years).
May 2012 All Star Sports: The boys first Disney Vacation, and my first time back in 15 years!
Several offsite trips as a child, a disney cruise in 1994, and ASMu in 1997 for Disney 25th Anniversary!
bentopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Jedi
DIS Veteran

they never lived there full time, it was just there vacation homes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
dwaters
Mouseketeer

Disney seems to be good at re-purposing old attractions and I hope that will happen here. Those houses were too good to simply destroy. I always liked seeing the letter from Buzz Lightyear with the return address "Infinity and Beyond".

Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.

(But, if kids got to see Mickey and Minnie's house, wouldn't they wonder where Donald, Goofy, and everybody else lived?)
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
bearloch
DIS Veteran

I would be dumpster diving for that if I found out when! lol
I could see them all in myliving room! lol who needs a chair or a table whenI can have a huge Mickey!!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
DolewhipPrincess
Earning My Ears

I believe that I read somewhere that the entire structure was made out of concrete. There was no way to pick them up and move them.
DolewhipPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: