Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel

Great Movie Ride - what would you change?

Ok...this isn't a rumor, nor is it news.
I just wanted to exercise some thoughts on the matter.

If you were gonna change Great Movie Ride, what would you do?

While some love it, i am definately part of the group that feels that the ride is completely outdated, and requires some changes.

Many believe that updates to the scenes would be welcome. I totally agree. The films currently showcased barely connect with many visitors. At the very least the movie scenes need updates.

But, I was actually thinking, why not re-imagine the whole ride altogether, and make it a moving history biography of Disney's films.

Scenes might include Steamboat Willie, Snow White, and then live action films like The Love Bug, Mary Poppins, and even Tron. I think the last 2 scenes should be easily set up with minimal animatronics so that they can update the ride with new scenes to showcase current movies, every 2-3 years. This year they could showcase Tangled, Brave, or go forward with Wreck-it-Ralph.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

As long as they can incorporate the Alien part into your scenario then I am all good.

Sarcasm....the body's natural defense against stupid.

Last edited by Mad Hattered; 09-12-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronDisney View Post
Ok...this isn't a rumor, nor is it news.
I just wanted to exercise some thoughts on the matter.

If you were gonna change Great Movie Ride, what would you do?

While some love it, i am definately part of the group that feels that the ride is completely outdated, and requires some changes.

Many believe that updates to the scenes would be welcome. I totally agree. The films currently showcased barely connect with many visitors. At the very least the movie scenes need updates.

But, I was actually thinking, why not re-imagine the whole ride altogether, and make it a moving history biography of Disney's films.

Scenes might include Steamboat Willie, Snow White, and then live action films like The Love Bug, Mary Poppins, and even Tron. I think the last 2 scenes should be easily set up with minimal animatronics so that they can update the ride with new scenes to showcase current movies, every 2-3 years. This year they could showcase Tangled, Brave, or go forward with Wreck-it-Ralph.
My only problem with this is that your version is turning into the Great Disney Movie Ride. Disney does update the film at the end every now and then with their newer hit movies, however I personally love the fact that the ride outlines classic "landmark" films. I still love the ride as is and if any change is made, I hope they pick equally classic movies to add in.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

Western and mob versions are awesome. But perhaps change the shows a bit?
same old stuff = boring.
also the que needs to be more exciting, standing around watching the big screen with the same movies kind of sucks. Perhaps a pre show where people interact with games or a Q&A?

Check out my 2014 Pre-Trip Report
Wish It Was May

Check me out on Pinterest!
Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Luv0fDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

I'd make it the focal point of the park. AKA move the F***ing hat.

As for the ride it's classic. All that needs to be done IMHO is update the last scene and update the que.

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
matt615
Earning My Ears

I'm not as big of a fan of this ride as a lot of people. Not sure why, but I don't like being loaded up into one big car with that many other people and then slowly moving from scene to scene. I'd prefer to see it converted into more of a continuously-moving dark ride that seats 2-4 people in a cart, like Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion. You could still take people thru classic movie scenes and the evolution of Hollywood. And make use of animatronics. To me, they're a staple of classic Disney rides and aren't used enough in the new ones.
matt615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
As long as they can incorporate the Alien part into your scenario then I am all good.

YES TO THIS!!!

Haha, but no, I really like that it's not all Disney movies, but includes Disney movies. It shows that Disney is important to the history of cinema, but there's more to film than just Disney! The rest of Disney World is dedicated to Disney movies! So it's nice to have an attraction that includes other movies. Especially since the theme of the park is Hollywood! It'd be just wrong to have a Hollywood themed park but go, "We're only going to focus on the Disney aspect of Hollywood..."

As for changes, I agree with DizCaptain. If you're going to add new movies, add equally classic movies.

Whatever happens with the Great Movie Ride in the future, as long as the Alien part stays, I'll be alright. If they ever get rid of the Alien scene, there better be an entire Alien ride somewhere!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt615 View Post
I'm not as big of a fan of this ride as a lot of people. Not sure why, but I don't like being loaded up into one big car with that many other people and then slowly moving from scene to scene. I'd prefer to see it converted into more of a continuously-moving dark ride that seats 2-4 people in a cart, like Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion. You could still take people thru classic movie scenes and the evolution of Hollywood. And make use of animatronics. To me, they're a staple of classic Disney rides and aren't used enough in the new ones.
That is exactly the ride I thought I was standing in line for the first time I rode it. Came out scratching my head.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel

Well...so far...the running idea is to just update scenes.
Perhaps it IS fair to say that Disney movies are heralded all over WDW, so what's the point of creating a ride to showcase Disney movies yet again.

I wonder though...if they were to update scenes...what scenes would you put in? Also, if Disney actually did this, would they have to pay licensing fees to put likenesses and use names of characters and stuff?

I have a hard time trying to figure out what scene would constitute a "classic" or perhaps a milestone in Cinematic history.

Maybe...
- A Star Wars Scene

- Update the Alien scene to an ALIENS scene. My personal favorite of the Aliens series of films. Maybe a scene of Ripley in a loader fighting off the queen.

- The Matrix??

- Forrest Gump??

- Psycho (the original)

I don't know...maybe i'm not enough of a film buff to make an informed decision. What scenes would guys put in?
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronDisney
Well...so far...the running idea is to just update scenes.
Perhaps it IS fair to say that Disney movies are heralded all over WDW, so what's the point of creating a ride to showcase Disney movies yet again.

I wonder though...if they were to update scenes...what scenes would you put in? Also, if Disney actually did this, would they have to pay licensing fees to put likenesses and use names of characters and stuff?

I have a hard time trying to figure out what scene would constitute a "classic" or perhaps a milestone in Cinematic history.

Maybe...
- A Star Wars Scene

- Update the Alien scene to an ALIENS scene. My personal favorite of the Aliens series of films. Maybe a scene of Ripley in a loader fighting off the queen.

- The Matrix??

- Forrest Gump??

- Psycho (the original)

I don't know...maybe i'm not enough of a film buff to make an informed decision. What scenes would guys put in?
I agree they could do a lot with a psycho scenario and it would be very cool same with forrest gump but universal studios hollywood already did psycho on the studio tour
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Grace4me
Earning My Ears

Too funny - I actually love this ride - it's one of my favorites because it does show how timeless good cinema is. I do however agree that there could be some updating to it. I love all the old stuff like the Casablanca scene and Wizard of Oz. But I do think some new "adventure" movies could be added in - Nix the whole Raiders would be fine w/ me. And the aliens actually scare the crap out of me. lol! Love the Tron idea.
2003 - Coronado Springs
2002 - Offsite Holiday Inn
2001 - Offsite Sheraton
1992 - Family HS Grad trip - Poly
1991 - Offsite High School Band Trip
1982 - Epcot Opening, Offsite
Grace4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace4me View Post
Too funny - I actually love this ride - it's one of my favorites because it does show how timeless good cinema is. I do however agree that there could be some updating to it. I love all the old stuff like the Casablanca scene and Wizard of Oz. But I do think some new "adventure" movies could be added in - Nix the whole Raiders would be fine w/ me. And the aliens actually scare the crap out of me. lol! Love the Tron idea.
My problem with the ride is the presentation. It is slow and awkward - imho. I want a quicker pace ride (even if it moves slow) that ends with a fantastic Hooray for Hollywood type ending!

We always take my dear Mother In Law. She wandered off one day and rode and when we met up she said - I LOVED THAT - you have to do it with me. We all got off - and - so not to offend her said: "Wow - thanks Grandma! - good call". While looking at each other with curious faces behind her back.

I think there are 2 answers to this question:

1) Make it faster paced - more in your face - more 2012ish....
2) Do nothing - not every ride has to be Space Mountain. Appreciate it for what it is worth!

I would form a Posse if they ever tried to change Carousel of Progress - it is timeless in it's own silly way. Maybe this one falls in the same camp?
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiwoo View Post
Whatever happens with the Great Movie Ride in the future, as long as the Alien part stays, I'll be alright. If they ever get rid of the Alien scene, there better be an entire Alien ride somewhere!
Well, my first reaction was going to be that it's fine as it is (not "great" but fine enough) and if they just replaced the Alien section with something else, that would be change enough for me.
But it seems I'd be outvoted! :
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
redheadedmermaid73
Mouseketeer

I'm not a fan of GMR but DH LOVES it. He used to work on it though so he appreciates it more. That being said, it does need updates. If only to improve the anamatronics and make them work better. For example, the gangster car is supposed to move in and out of the tunnel but it never does because its always broken. I like the idea and themes of the movies but on our last trip (last weekend) the kids in front of us had never heard of Casablanca!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteelersMidget View Post
I'd make it the focal point of the park. AKA move the F***ing hat.

As for the ride it's classic. All that needs to be done IMHO is update the last scene and update the que.
I can think of one other thing that could afford to be done....

Give Ripley a makeover. Girl is looking a little pasty these days.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: