Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #31
ktrask
Mouseketeer

I saw the new Cinderella on underpants at Target...she looked like a Bratz doll
ktrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #32
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

We're going 10/14-10/20 and I hope the classic Cinderella is still there. I love classic Cinderella.
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #33
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrask
I saw the new Cinderella on underpants at Target...she looked like a Bratz doll
It Is like a Bratz doll. Ick, ick, ick.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #34
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Not loving any of their make-overs. I wonder what would possess them to change such classic looks.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #35
dillydilly
Mouseketeer

Another dislike here, we passed on the merchandise (specifically clothing) in the Disney Store for our upcoming trip. My teen girls were appalled by the new looks and my 8 year old said it was sad. Please bring back the classic Cinderella Disney!
dillydilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #36
cousinorville3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serendipity View Post
Do we have a source on this yet? I'm tempted to email/call Disney and ask. Our trip is in January and if they'll have changed the park princesses to these new looks, I will honestly probably cancel the trip and go somewhere else (like Europe, which would probably be cheaper than what our trip costs). That's how much I absolutely loathe the redesigns.
Unfortunately I can say its 100% happening. I've looked into it more since my original posting and Cinderella is the first of all the princesses to get the new makeover. Over the next several months they'll be "updating" all of the girls. I spoke with one of the face characters who tested the new outfit and she said the dress is very elegant, but is massive in size (she compared them to Belle and Tiana's dresses).
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinorville3 View Post
Unfortunately I can say its 100% happening. I've looked into it more since my original posting and Cinderella is the first of all the princesses to get the new makeover. Over the next several months they'll be "updating" all of the girls. I spoke with one of the face characters who tested the new outfit and she said the dress is very elegant, but is massive in size (she compared them to Belle and Tiana's dresses).
Maybe we should feel lucky that on our 1st Disney trip we'll get the "old" Cinderella.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #38
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinorville3 View Post
I can't begin to tell you how utterly sad this makes me.
Although it makes me wonder- we had Royal Guest Rooms booked. Are they going to change all the art in those too? What about all the art around with how the princesses are supposed to look? Like the stained glass windows in Cinderella's Castle?

Last edited by Princess Serendipity; 09-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
juliehoey
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...OMDD WINNER!!

Last edited by juliehoey; 09-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.
juliehoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #40
tentaguasu
Mouseketeer

OK, I'll be the dissenter here.... I like the change and I'm glad they did it.

A few caveats:

1. I don't have a big personal connection to the original Cinderella.
2. I'm a guy.

First, everyone seems to see the new look as somehow "overly sexy" - I completely disagree.

Compare the original to the new version.

I spent quite a lot of time comparing the old to the new to see if I could find what many of you are complaining about and really, the only large difference I see is the hair style (which is modern, but nothing scandalous!). Clothes are almost identical. Accessories are almost identical. Make up - I really don't see the big difference. MAYBE more eyeliner, but certainly not a ton more. The colors in general are bolder, but that's the dress and everything - just a more modern color scheme.

Now I DO understand that some of you have long and fond memories and associations with Cinderella. For those of you who have those memories, I can see why the change would be unwelcome. It always stings to see changes to our memories. (I'm a Wisconsin football fan and I HATED when they changed the old style "W" helmet to a more "modern" "W" style... I get it...)

BUT... I'm glad to see Disney having the foresight and initiative to update their characters. After all Cinderella is not for us (the old folks) as much as it is for the young kids coming up. They have to imaging being Cinderella, and a 2010 girl is just not going to connect as well to a 1950 Cinderella. It just makes sense that she look more modern. I expect in 2050 she'll have to be updated a bit again. Remember, the Mickey Mouse we know today is NOT the original Mickey Mouse (thankfully!)

If we want Disney to remain relevant to people (especially young girls) for years to come, Disney has to walk a difficult and fine line between respecting and acknowledging tradition, staying faithful and true to the spirit of the Disney characters, and STILL connecting those characters to the modern world. Otherwise Cinderella and the rest will end up feeling like museum pieces.

I think a great example of "Disney-modern" is Rapunzel in Tangled. I loved that movie for many reasons, but most of all, because I really loved Rapunzel. She was the model for a modern young "Disney" woman - smart, brave, irreverent, daring, kind-hearted, noble, good, etc. (and [spoiler alert] a spiky short brown hair-do too!) In short, she was a totally modern interpretation of a classic Disney princess - to my mind exactly what Disney should be doing.

To me the bigger question is not whether to update characters now and then (to which I'd say absolutely YES), but rather, is this a GOOD update. And I say Yes! - I think they got it right with "Cinderella 2012". This change is modern yet faithful to the original. It in no way violates the sense of who she is - it's not like she's running around in skinny jeans and green hair.

Same clothes, same accessories, same fundamental style - just perked up a bit with a new "do", some extra-shine on the accessories, and a bolder color scheme.

And - by pure chance - just a few days ago I also ran into the Cinderella dolls at Target (before this came up), noticed the difference, and really liked them! In fact I compared them to Barbie and other dolls and told my wife how much I appreciated a modern take on Cinderella that seemed genuinely nice, appropriate, and "Disney" as compared to the garbage that other toy manufacturers are churning out.

The new Cinderella is not Barbie-ish at all to my eyes, let alone Bratz-ish.
tentaguasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #41
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post
Words.

I don't know much about kids. It's been a while since I've been one and I don't have any, and I don't really hang around them. But from what I recall and what I know, I don't think they really notice looks as much as we think. Yes, things need to be pretty, and kids are pretty distracted by shiny things, but I think the love of a character trumps any "outdatedness." This is one thing I'll sort of back down on, because like I said, I don't know kids very well.

That said.

My issue is not that she is overly sexy. She's not. My issue is that A) I don't think the classics that Walt made should be redesigned like this. Mickey Mouse has changed over the years, but not that much (if at all) since Walt's time. Mickey Mouse is also more of a modern meta-character. Cinderella is a fairy tale character in the Victorian period.

B) The changes not only go against who some of the characters are (Cinderella especially), I'm going to even venture that they are promoting our "photoshop" culture. If you look at the original Cinderella, she is slightly older and more mature looking, with a larger ribcage and more of a developed figure. The newer Cinderella is younger looking (to me, she seems a 15-year-old girl going to prom) and thinner- they even made her ribcage smaller! We girls have it bad enough as it is comparing ourselves to the Disney Princesses, but if you go back and make them even younger and thinner?

You said it in no way violates who Cinderella is. I disagree. Cinderella's main thing is that she was very much into simple elegance. If you look at the other young women in the movie (at the ball scene), it's huge bustles and hoop skirts and ruffles and giant ribbons and bows and layers and opulence. In comparison, Cinderella's ballgown (also, it was supposed to be silver, and they keep making it blue-er as the years go on) is very simple and understated, and that is what makes her stand out. Her wedding gown- WEDDING GOWN- was simple and understated and elegant. A girl will probably never dress any fancier in her life than she will on her wedding day, and yet Cinderella chose such a simple design? It speaks of her maturity, I think. The redesign is much more girlish, with brighter colours and more complexity, a flashier hairstyle, and a bigger skirt. So I do think it is very much going against who Cinderella is.

You also said that Cinderella is for kids, not adults. I again disagree. She is the quintessential rags-to-riches story, the epitome of believing in your dreams, and a genuine princess- elegant, kind, and graceful. I would much rather see adults looking up to her than, say, reality TV show and pop stars. Some of us would still rather wear the glass slippers over Manolo Blahniks. Modern is not necessarily better.

If keeping the Princesses classic makes them museum pieces...well, what's wrong with that? It will make them stand out from the sea of "Modern" heroines. It helps distance them from the real world, keep them in the world of fantasy that Disney tries so hard to project and maintain.
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #42
DulcetDiscord
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serendipity View Post
more words
I agree. Cinderella is my LEAST favorite princess for two main reasons: I feel like she's shoved down my throat everywhere I go; and Disney executives let her steal the color blue from every other princess (Particularly my favorite, Aurora). Cinderella's gown is silver. SILVER. Making her dress bluer really only pisses me off. Not to mention that "make it sparkle" is the worst answer to the question, "how can we get females to like this?"

Furthermore, MOST of the princess movies were made for previous generations. Yes, we share them with our children--Sleeping Beauty came out in 1959, the year my mother was born, and it's still my favorite--but that doesn't mean we suddenly stop liking them. Disney's entire thing is creating experiences the whole family can enjoy, not just the kids.

And I like some of the other iterations of Princess lines. The designer stuff is pretty, and the ballerina things were at least cute. But the best part about those is that they were on the side. You could see them in the stores, but they didn't replace the main look.

Now, all that said, Rapunzel is probably the only princess who hasn't suffered a makeover in the past, and only because she's so new. It seems like every time I look at the princesses they look slightly different, more makeup, more vibrant colors, and OMG I swear they keep getting thinner and they were already super impossibly thin.

I think this is just a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that little girls are more interested in superficial celebrities than princesses, so let's make our princesses look more like that. Have you seen the ads for the newest Barbie movie? "The Princess and the Pop Star." I don't think the English language has the appropriate words to describe how disturbing, upsetting, and vacuous that is.

And don't even get me started on Barney's use of Minnie and Daisy.

'94 Dixie Landings~'95 All Star Sports
Summer '07 Off property~Winter '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Spring '08 All Star Music
Winter '09 Fort Wilderness Cabins~Spring '09 Fort Wilderness Cabins
Fall '09 Caribbean Beach (Pirate Room)
Spring '10 MOVED TO FL
Spring '11 5-night Dream Cruise
DulcetDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #43
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I just checked out the new look at Disney Store.com and I have to say my problem is they all look so generic...Cinderella especially looks way too much like Barbie dressed as Cinderella. They also made Ariel look older and also more generic. It's not so much that I mind a little update, but Disney dolls had a certain look and they have taken away the "Disney" ... they look like every other doll out there. I was trying to be objective, but no, I hate the new merchandise look. The new 12" are really bad and look cheap. The Belle and Aurora dolls are especially awful, if it wasn't for the dresses they have on I wouldn't even know who it was supposed to be.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #44
a11ie
"I only hope that we Do Not lose sight of one thing -- That it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

Yes, the new Cinderella is more modern. Am I upset? Certainly not.
Dec '92.(US trip)_____Nov '93 (offsite)
Dec '94 (Dixie Landing)_____Sep '95 (BC)
Disneyland '96______Oct '97 (??)
Nov '99 (DL)_____May '00 (BWV)
May '01 (S&D)______Nov '01 (POR, BWV)
Disney Cruise '02______May '03 (BWV)
Oct '04 (BWV)______Sep '06 (BWV)

My DS FIRST trip at 14mo Nov '10 (BWV)
Had 2nd, surprise, trip with Grandma and Papa Oct '12 (BWV)
Planning to go back Sep '13. (BLT&BWV)
ME DS
a11ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I just checked out the new look at Disney Store.com and I have to say my problem is they all look so generic...Cinderella especially looks way too much like Barbie dressed as Cinderella. They also made Ariel look older and also more generic. It's not so much that I mind a little update, but Disney dolls had a certain look and they have taken away the "Disney" ... they look like every other doll out there. I was trying to be objective, but no, I hate the new merchandise look. The new 12" are really bad and look cheap. The Belle and Aurora dolls are especially awful, if it wasn't for the dresses they have on I wouldn't even know who it was supposed to be.
I agree. I don't know if it was all the "upgrades" but I did see for sure the Cindy upgrade on Friday. All the dolls were in a row and I thought they all pretty much looked the same face wise.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: