Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
MrBeast
Earning My Ears

Talking Proposal help

So my gf and I are taking a vacation to Disney on marathon weekend (i'm running!) in January, and i'm planning on proposing while we are there.

I've got a rough idea of what i'd like to do, but having never been there, there are just things you guys would know better than me!

My initial plan was booking a reservation at Victoria & Albert’s for dinner, then going on the Grand Yacht 1 for the fireworks. (GF is fireworks obsessed, and Wishes is supposed to be amazing. After youtubing multiple videos I completely agree, it looks awesome!)
Anyway, when I called (180 days out) I was able to book the yacht, but was told due to fixed start times, that I probably wouldn’t be able to make my fireworks cruise if we ate at V&As.

Onto the back-up plan… was going to book California Grill since I hear the view is to die for during sunset, but alas... Turns out they are closing for a 6 month reno 2 days before we get there. (seriously, what are the odds?!)

I didn’t have a back-up plan for the back-up plan- but now I’m thinking maybe Citrico’s, a walk on the beach and onto the fireworks cruise? I just can’t decide on a restaurant having never been there, and I know as soon as she sees the yacht, she’ll know something is up. Should I propose before we board and use the yacht as a follow-up surprise? Or go with my original plan and propose on the boat during wishes, even if she knows its coming?

And any input on dinner plans? This girl is the love of my life, but absolutely impossible to surprise so I just want to blow her away.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. sorry if this isn’t where this post should go- it is literally my first day on DISboards!
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Welcome!! How exciting!!! What ever way you decide to propose it will me magical....
jesswindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
MickeyP
DIS Veteran

I would tell V&A that you plan to propose. I think they might be a little more flexible. Does V & A seat in sets of people like Cinderella's Castle, or do people trickle in. What time is the yacht cruise? Maybe....they would be flexible too. I would talk to someone higher up in restaurant management. Seriously, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if Disney is as magical as it claims, they will move a mountain to make it happen. NOT for a birthday, but for a proposal, maybe. Don't lose hope. Just update us on what they/you are doing.
MickeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

If fireworks is what you want, they can give you dinner on the Yacht. Your selections are a bit limited, though based on what the boat can accommodate.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
ctl
Mouseketeer

Dinner on the yacht

Dinner on the yacht sounds like a perfect idea, if you can get it. Then you could propse during Wishes like you had planned. Or I agree that V&A might be a little flexible if you tell them about your proposal. definitely worth a try. Congratulations. I'm sure your GF will love whatever you do.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

I don't have any advise, but...

And

Congradulations!

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

If it was me Id like a pre proposal dinner at narcoossees so you can watch the castle while eating then the cruise and pop the question during wishes! That would be amazing! She is VERY lucky !! Congrats Please post whatever you decide! Good luck!!!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS ,DMOM,DB , DSIL,DAunt
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *
julluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
disneyfan123
He got my hubbies steak once
Still crazy about that boy!

It will be so magical however you do it. I would try and call Disney to see if they had any flexibility and if not, ask them if they have any good ideas.
Jan 2008 SSR
Jan 2010 - Animal Kingdom Studio Savannah View!!
March 2011 - Offsite
October 2012 - Bonnet Creek

disneyfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
MrBeast
Earning My Ears

i will call!

Thanks for the welcome and warm-wishes everyone Sounds like everyone is in agreement to call Disney, so thats on the list! I went ahead and made the ADR for Citrico's, I can always cancel.

Julluvsdisney: i've heard great things about Narcoosees, but GF is allergic to seafood, and I think thats their go-to menu item right?

I'd looked at doing dinner on the yacht, but i know when she sees its for us she will know something is up. is that a problem? surprise-ruiner?

I really just want there to be an element of surprise.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
MrBeast
Earning My Ears

time

and i forgot to mention, we are supposed to meet the yacht at the Grand Floridian docks at 7:30. I think V&As only takes 2 seatings, one at 5:30 and one at 8:30 if i remember correctly, and is supposed to be a 2.5-3hr dining experience.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
MickeyP
DIS Veteran

If you feel you are a good enough actor, just casually walk by the yacht and say, "I wonder how much they go for", and have the captain or whoever, say, "Are ya interested? We just had a cancellation." Make it seem like it's their idea, not yours. Have her say yes, not you. Then carry on about the $$. LOL
MickeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyP View Post
If you feel you are a good enough actor, just casually walk by the yacht and say, "I wonder how much they go for", and have the captain or whoever, say, "Are ya interested? We just had a cancellation." Make it seem like it's their idea, not yours. Have her say yes, not you. Then carry on about the $$. LOL
I love this idea. But it could backfire if she says no. LOL Hopefully she won't. Let us know how it went.

Welcome to the Disboards and congrats!

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast
Thanks for the welcome and warm-wishes everyone Sounds like everyone is in agreement to call Disney, so thats on the list! I went ahead and made the ADR for Citrico's, I can always cancel.

Julluvsdisney: i've heard great things about Narcoosees, but GF is allergic to seafood, and I think thats their go-to menu item right?

I'd looked at doing dinner on the yacht, but i know when she sees its for us she will know something is up. is that a problem? surprise-ruiner?

I really just want there to be an element of surprise.
I hate seafood I always have the filet mignon yummy! Please update us on how everything goes!!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS ,DMOM,DB , DSIL,DAunt
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *
julluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
MrBeast
Earning My Ears

hotel

thanks for the ideas everyone! Getting the brain juice flowing!

We already have a hotel booked for the week, but I'd love to stay at the GF for the evening of our engagement. I don't mind paying for two hotel rooms, but would like to surprise her afterwards- we're staying in this beautiful hotel just the two of us! (since we will be vacationing with some friends and they are at the other location)

any ideas about how to pull this off? Can disney move our luggage from one hotel to the other while we're at dinner? Whadya think guys?

Tags
engagement, proposal