Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
WebmasterLeah
Moderator
 
WebmasterLeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,612
DISboards Moderator

new blog: Walt Disney World Transportation Ė Flawed or Convenient?

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...or-convenient/
__________________
Me DH DS8 DS6 DD3


WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,540

Quote:
Do the flaws of Walt Disney World transportation outweigh the convenience?
Excellent article. I agree with everything you said, except, perhaps, the legal advice. You deserve better legal advice. . . .

I used to doubt the podcast team when they said a car is more convenient than the buses (paraphrasing). They were right. I was wrong. The WDW bus system will no longer waste my vacation time.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Now living near the parks!
Posts: 42,076

I will add my opinion. I have to admire the work that Disney does to manage their transportation system. They are always adding new busses, they are redoing the bus charter lot at the TTC to accomodate the new bus loop at MK.

I do get to ride the transportion options at Disney quite often and never have a problem. I don't use it at closing though unless it is a monorail.

I try to give them some leeway since it is a "free" system. Just imagine WDW without their transportation options and everyone driving cars. It could be a lot worse.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,343

oh boy I have LOTS to say, can't imagine why

But am busy atm, I'll add more later
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,343

Iím so glad this topic came up, because Iíve got a LOT to say, both good and bad. Letís start with the good:
First, letís take a look at a map thatís been circulating on the Transportation boards. Just take a look at this thing:


Itís huge! Before criticism can be rendered, we have to look at just how massive this operation is and give credit where credit is due. Unofficially, 17 million people visited MK alone last year. Due to the setup, every single one of them had to use Disney transportation to get to MK except those who walked from the Contemporary, which is a relatively small amount of the overall population. That means 34 million used Disney transportation just at MK alone! Now add the resort to DTD routes, park to park routes, people going to dinners, we move a LOT of people in a year. For the size and scope of the operation, overall things run pretty smooth.

Now obviously when crowds rush transportation, there can be issues. Iíll start with monorails since theyíre the red headed step child of transportation. They suck, they break, parts fall out and start fires, bus bars fall off the beams cutting power, I could go onÖand onÖand on. Yeah sure, theyíre ďiconicĒ but what theyíre iconic FOR is starting to change and itís not a good thing. 3 major holidays in a row they broke and caused a LOT of people to be stranded at MK due to boats being down for wind(1 of those 3 times). Iíve seen strings of people walking from MK to TTC in these situations. When monorails break it causes mass chaos for both MK and the other parks because buses have to be brought online to assist watercraft with getting guests out of MK and to the TTC. And itís not just major break downs that cause a problem, it can be a medical emergency, someone puking and the need to clean it up, or a squirrel on the beam that can bring monorail operations to a halt. For this reason, I think it would be a horrible idea to spread monorails to other areas on property. They can barely keep the operation they have running, how on earth are they going to handle more? They have made steps in the right direction by reducing monorail hours to perform maintenance(and thatís a decision I will forever back management on because I see the negative effects of their lack of maintenance the last 10+ years), but that doesnít mean they are ready for an expansion.

Now itís on to buses. Buses are absolutely the work horse of transportation. We run nearly 300 buses every single day. Buses are deployed partially by an automated system and partially by human intervention. This can mean an inconsistent experience depending on who is deploying the buses and what circumstances might be happening elsewhere. For instance, monorails being down and forcing buses to divert causes delays everywhere else. Disney runs X number of buses according to foreseen demand. They canít just start up a bus and send it somewhere, it takes time to bring additional buses online and it takes staff they might not immediately have. Additionally, the biggest difference between buses and ďmonocraftĒ is they do not just simply run a route. The dynamic deployment makes things much more complicated. This is the biggest reason why Disney says and I frequently preach allow at least 1.5 hours to get to your destination when using Disney transportation. There are many variables and you should always be prepared for them.
Having said that, I see Disney is addressing the bus problem. When AoA came online, more buses were added and they have tested those bendable buses as a way to increase capacity on routes and make it at least a little bit more comfortable for people. Thatís not going to prevent lines at peak times, but the idea is to move more people quicker and more efficiently. They are aware of the increase in traffic and are making efforts to prepare for it.

And lastly we get to Watercraft: Bailing out monorails for over 40 years. First, the resort routes at MK are pretty well set and boats do get dynamically deployed after fireworks to move the crowd as quickly as possible. But this is definitely a situation where we need more boats. The addition of BLT had a big effect on the blue route, to the point where we had to change the flow of the 2 launches to accommodate the crowds. Again, itís all the same in the end, but we were able to make a modification that at least makes it look better. The same is inevitably going to happen when the GF DVC opens. The gold route only has 2 launches and we only have 1 spare launch. What we need is at least 1 if not 2 additional cruisers, but apparently the resorts donít want to pay for it. With the current setup, the red/green routes suffer when there is lightning (which shuts down the launches) or when the monorails break(which is likeÖdaily). It forces a cruiser to be transferred to the gold and the red and green routes experience longer wait times because of it. So yes, we need more boats, preferably in the form of cruisers since they are ECV capable and have a much higher capacity than the launches. In addition to that, we need the ability to take boats out for maintenance and cleaning without worrying about the operation. 1 spare launch and 2 insanely slow MK boats are not cutting it.
Next itís on to the ferries. First, as indicated in the blog, I think there has been an increase in the number of people driving. In the last 3.5 years I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of people taking the ferryboats. I doubt itís because anyone listens when we say itís quicker at fireworks time to take the ferry than the monorail, so I can only assume itís because more people are driving. That said, there is really one main issue with the efficiency of the ferryboats which is that we cannot unload and load at the same time. Therefore, more (ferry)boats will only make the situation worse, not better. In order to address this problem, the queue areas at TTC and MK need to be redone to allow simultaneous loading and unloading. Recently we have begun experimenting with the idea by having a ferryboat docked in both the main slip and temp slip at MK during the fireworks exit. The problem is due to the angle of the temp slip at the TTC, it can only be utilized in an emergency situation as it creates a difficult situation for ECVs and strollers. So they are not helping anything with the test they are doing, except putting 1200 people on 2 boats and making them wait to dock. Truthfully, itís all the same in the end. Until they effectively make 2 main slips on each dock and properly configure them, more boats will not help the situation. I also want to add it takes at least 45 minutes to get a ferryboat out of dry dock if monorails go down. If the 3rd boat is already out, it takes 20 minutes to get a crew across, do the necessary checks, and bring the boat online. Again, itís a combination of having the necessary staff and equipment available to help the situation.
The benefit to the boats is if there is a mechanical, medical, or security issue, we have backup slips to utilize so the operation does continue even if it slows things down.
With all that said, information IS being gathered to take a look at the MK watercraft operation. GPS units have been ordered for the boats which will help with more efficient deployment and Iím hoping (speculation here) will lead to some kind of wait time indication being given either on LCDs on the docks, through the My Disney Experience app, or both. Disney is absolutely aware of the increased guest flow and is trying to do something about it, but like any huge corporation, it takes planning, budgeting, etc to get anything done and they move at a snailís pace!

I hope Iíve given a true double sided view here. Iím often critical of Disney, but I see they are making some decisions with regard to transportation that is a step in the right direction. Yes, there are issues, but again, for the size and scope of this privately run operation, we do a pretty good job. Ultimately itís up to the time vs reward value of each individual.
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer
 
LionKingRules84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 408

I can only put my own personal opinion since it's all I really have. :P

I'm from a fairly large city with crappy Public transit and even crappier crowded roads. Around here if you don't live near a public transit hub don't bother using it, driving is easier but parking sucks. Walking or public transit is usually better than worrying you will get towed or get a parking ticket. In that sense I'm fairly use to waiting for trains, buses or even taxis. While I at least twice in 2007 remember waiting a bit longer than I would like for a bus to get 'home' or to a park it still beat driving and getting lost(which happens a lot). There is also the added expense of paying for parking. Since driving is a necessary evil in America and pretty much everyone has to drive to and from work for a living I don't see people not using Disney transportation if it is offered at least once during their vacation especially if it's free with your resort stay. With that said unless gas prices magically get better and the parking goes down, if I stay at a disney resort or any resort that offers a bus, train boat etc. unless I'm waiting hours for it(I never truly waited more than maybe 45 mins for a bus) I'm more likely to take that than drive.

I'm a bit nervous at driving on my upcoming trip to France but since it isn't the US it seems more adventurous. The fact I don't have to be adventurous at Disney World is worth that added hassle of waiting with others on vacation. Usually the buses keep coming and I found that if you wait till after the crowd leaves after the fireworks you can usually get a much less crowded bus to get 'home'. I did this in MK after Wishes on my visit and enjoyed an ice cream at the plaza whiling watching everyone leave. After I finished my ice cream most of the crowd had left with the buses and magically there was an empty bus waiting for us when we went to go 'home' for the night, it was one of the most memorable nights of my vacation. Well that and they 'upgraded' my husbands ice cream. The pure terror(you had to be there)on his face from it was priceless! ahem anyway unless the driving in Flordia is less stressful than in most of the east coast I don't know if I will ever drive. Although I still haven't done Sea World or Bush Gardens Tampa yet so I guess I would have to drive to do that.
__________________

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
angelztreazurez
Mickey's best Friend
 
angelztreazurez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 52

transportation

I think they also need to change the way the handicap riders work.

While waiting for a bus a wheelchair and their family of 15,pulled in and got right on the bus with no wait. Funny thing was the next day at the pool at the hotel the same handicap person was involved in the pool games dancing and jumping in the pool having a great time ...hmmm....

I have over heard many conversations how its worth the extra money to pay for a wheelchair to not wait in lines...... WOW !!!!

maybe this needs to also be addressed !!!!!









Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Iím so glad this topic came up, because Iíve got a LOT to say, both good and bad. Letís start with the good:
First, letís take a look at a map thatís been circulating on the Transportation boards. Just take a look at this thing:


Itís huge! Before criticism can be rendered, we have to look at just how massive this operation is and give credit where credit is due. Unofficially, 17 million people visited MK alone last year. Due to the setup, every single one of them had to use Disney transportation to get to MK except those who walked from the Contemporary, which is a relatively small amount of the overall population. That means 34 million used Disney transportation just at MK alone! Now add the resort to DTD routes, park to park routes, people going to dinners, we move a LOT of people in a year. For the size and scope of the operation, overall things run pretty smooth.

Now obviously when crowds rush transportation, there can be issues. Iíll start with monorails since theyíre the red headed step child of transportation. They suck, they break, parts fall out and start fires, bus bars fall off the beams cutting power, I could go onÖand onÖand on. Yeah sure, theyíre ďiconicĒ but what theyíre iconic FOR is starting to change and itís not a good thing. 3 major holidays in a row they broke and caused a LOT of people to be stranded at MK due to boats being down for wind(1 of those 3 times). Iíve seen strings of people walking from MK to TTC in these situations. When monorails break it causes mass chaos for both MK and the other parks because buses have to be brought online to assist watercraft with getting guests out of MK and to the TTC. And itís not just major break downs that cause a problem, it can be a medical emergency, someone puking and the need to clean it up, or a squirrel on the beam that can bring monorail operations to a halt. For this reason, I think it would be a horrible idea to spread monorails to other areas on property. They can barely keep the operation they have running, how on earth are they going to handle more? They have made steps in the right direction by reducing monorail hours to perform maintenance(and thatís a decision I will forever back management on because I see the negative effects of their lack of maintenance the last 10+ years), but that doesnít mean they are ready for an expansion.

Now itís on to buses. Buses are absolutely the work horse of transportation. We run nearly 300 buses every single day. Buses are deployed partially by an automated system and partially by human intervention. This can mean an inconsistent experience depending on who is deploying the buses and what circumstances might be happening elsewhere. For instance, monorails being down and forcing buses to divert causes delays everywhere else. Disney runs X number of buses according to foreseen demand. They canít just start up a bus and send it somewhere, it takes time to bring additional buses online and it takes staff they might not immediately have. Additionally, the biggest difference between buses and ďmonocraftĒ is they do not just simply run a route. The dynamic deployment makes things much more complicated. This is the biggest reason why Disney says and I frequently preach allow at least 1.5 hours to get to your destination when using Disney transportation. There are many variables and you should always be prepared for them.
Having said that, I see Disney is addressing the bus problem. When AoA came online, more buses were added and they have tested those bendable buses as a way to increase capacity on routes and make it at least a little bit more comfortable for people. Thatís not going to prevent lines at peak times, but the idea is to move more people quicker and more efficiently. They are aware of the increase in traffic and are making efforts to prepare for it.

And lastly we get to Watercraft: Bailing out monorails for over 40 years. First, the resort routes at MK are pretty well set and boats do get dynamically deployed after fireworks to move the crowd as quickly as possible. But this is definitely a situation where we need more boats. The addition of BLT had a big effect on the blue route, to the point where we had to change the flow of the 2 launches to accommodate the crowds. Again, itís all the same in the end, but we were able to make a modification that at least makes it look better. The same is inevitably going to happen when the GF DVC opens. The gold route only has 2 launches and we only have 1 spare launch. What we need is at least 1 if not 2 additional cruisers, but apparently the resorts donít want to pay for it. With the current setup, the red/green routes suffer when there is lightning (which shuts down the launches) or when the monorails break(which is likeÖdaily). It forces a cruiser to be transferred to the gold and the red and green routes experience longer wait times because of it. So yes, we need more boats, preferably in the form of cruisers since they are ECV capable and have a much higher capacity than the launches. In addition to that, we need the ability to take boats out for maintenance and cleaning without worrying about the operation. 1 spare launch and 2 insanely slow MK boats are not cutting it.
Next itís on to the ferries. First, as indicated in the blog, I think there has been an increase in the number of people driving. In the last 3.5 years I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of people taking the ferryboats. I doubt itís because anyone listens when we say itís quicker at fireworks time to take the ferry than the monorail, so I can only assume itís because more people are driving. That said, there is really one main issue with the efficiency of the ferryboats which is that we cannot unload and load at the same time. Therefore, more (ferry)boats will only make the situation worse, not better. In order to address this problem, the queue areas at TTC and MK need to be redone to allow simultaneous loading and unloading. Recently we have begun experimenting with the idea by having a ferryboat docked in both the main slip and temp slip at MK during the fireworks exit. The problem is due to the angle of the temp slip at the TTC, it can only be utilized in an emergency situation as it creates a difficult situation for ECVs and strollers. So they are not helping anything with the test they are doing, except putting 1200 people on 2 boats and making them wait to dock. Truthfully, itís all the same in the end. Until they effectively make 2 main slips on each dock and properly configure them, more boats will not help the situation. I also want to add it takes at least 45 minutes to get a ferryboat out of dry dock if monorails go down. If the 3rd boat is already out, it takes 20 minutes to get a crew across, do the necessary checks, and bring the boat online. Again, itís a combination of having the necessary staff and equipment available to help the situation.
The benefit to the boats is if there is a mechanical, medical, or security issue, we have backup slips to utilize so the operation does continue even if it slows things down.
With all that said, information IS being gathered to take a look at the MK watercraft operation. GPS units have been ordered for the boats which will help with more efficient deployment and Iím hoping (speculation here) will lead to some kind of wait time indication being given either on LCDs on the docks, through the My Disney Experience app, or both. Disney is absolutely aware of the increased guest flow and is trying to do something about it, but like any huge corporation, it takes planning, budgeting, etc to get anything done and they move at a snailís pace!

I hope Iíve given a true double sided view here. Iím often critical of Disney, but I see they are making some decisions with regard to transportation that is a step in the right direction. Yes, there are issues, but again, for the size and scope of this privately run operation, we do a pretty good job. Ultimately itís up to the time vs reward value of each individual.
__________________
I LOVE DISNEY !
angelztreazurez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
monkistan
Mouseketeer
 
monkistan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 98

Disney World is roughly 1.5 times the size of Manhattan, a city I'm well acquainted with. I guess I'm just used to the imperfections of any mass transit system, and feel lucky that Disney offers the service for free. All in all, I've found there to be few times when things were crazy crowded, and even then it was only for a few minutes. It beats the city bus during rush hour.

I've always been a fan. I'd image, however, that if you weren't used to mass transit, that it may seem slow or crowded, but I think it comes with the territory of moving that many people.

That said, sure it would be nice to have an extra bus or two around closing time. But I'm pretty low key and will sit if I need to, or run when I need to.

overall I think they do a pretty good job!
monkistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran
 
SharonLowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,704

Long time visitor

We have been going to WDW at least annually for over 22 years now (ugh, that makes me old) and always stay on site, varying our resorts from deluxe to value. The bus service has seriously deteriorated over that time and keeps getting worse. I know the resort system has gotten bigger over that time but the bus system has not kept up with it. You used to be able to get a bus to/from your resort to/from any park every 10 minutes and you didn't share with any other resort. The first sharing we experienced was when we had the 2 Port Orleans resorts but it wasn't bad because the buses were frequent, any time of the day. Fast forward to today and you maybe get a bus from your resort to a park every 20 minutes and you will always share with at least one resort, if not more, even in the deluxe resorts. In fact, it seems sometimes that the value resorts get more frequent service because they are so much larger. When AKL opened, we were very happy to stay there and the bus service was great to any park. Now, we avoid it because the bus service has deteriorated so much - much longer waits for any bus, including those going to AK. We now stay only at resorts where we have options other than buses and sometimes use our car or taxis to get around, especially to Downtown Disney (don't get me started on that one and the water parks). I am particularly upset with the bus service at deluxe resorts - if I am paying a premium price for a deluxe resort, I do not expect to have to share buses with other resorts or wait 20 minutes or more for a bus to get me someplace. Coming back from a park near closing is ridiculous - no one should have to wait that long or endure the crowded conditions that we face.

I have always loved WDW because it was a safe and fun place to visit - when I was a single mom, I could bring my DS and we could have a great vacation - never had to drive anywhere, felt totally safe, and we had good, fun meals at the restaurants. Now with a new DH and DD, it is still safe but not nearly as much fun - we have to plan meals 6 months in advance, the food isn't nearly as good, you have to wake up super early and get to the parks so you don't spend hours in line, and the transportation is horrible so we end up driving more than we want or spending money to take taxis. We still come to visit but we end up spending more time doing other things - going to Universal, Sea World, etc. - or just spending more time at our resort at the pool, etc. Nothing wrong with that but we are almost to the point of not visiting anymore - my DH doesn't come with us most times now because he can't stand paying so much and having to spend so much time waiting. When DD and I went in June 2012, we spent more time hanging at our resort than we did at the parks and we didn't even go to HS.
__________________
Sharon



Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
We have been going to WDW at least annually for over 22 years now (ugh, that makes me old) and always stay on site, varying our resorts from deluxe to value. The bus service has seriously deteriorated over that time and keeps getting worse. I know the resort system has gotten bigger over that time but the bus system has not kept up with it. You used to be able to get a bus to/from your resort to/from any park every 10 minutes and you didn't share with any other resort. The first sharing we experienced was when we had the 2 Port Orleans resorts but it wasn't bad because the buses were frequent, any time of the day. Fast forward to today and you maybe get a bus from your resort to a park every 20 minutes and you will always share with at least one resort, if not more, even in the deluxe resorts. In fact, it seems sometimes that the value resorts get more frequent service because they are so much larger. When AKL opened, we were very happy to stay there and the bus service was great to any park. Now, we avoid it because the bus service has deteriorated so much - much longer waits for any bus, including those going to AK. We now stay only at resorts where we have options other than buses and sometimes use our car or taxis to get around, especially to Downtown Disney (don't get me started on that one and the water parks). I am particularly upset with the bus service at deluxe resorts - if I am paying a premium price for a deluxe resort, I do not expect to have to share buses with other resorts or wait 20 minutes or more for a bus to get me someplace. Coming back from a park near closing is ridiculous - no one should have to wait that long or endure the crowded conditions that we face.

I have always loved WDW because it was a safe and fun place to visit - when I was a single mom, I could bring my DS and we could have a great vacation - never had to drive anywhere, felt totally safe, and we had good, fun meals at the restaurants. Now with a new DH and DD, it is still safe but not nearly as much fun - we have to plan meals 6 months in advance, the food isn't nearly as good, you have to wake up super early and get to the parks so you don't spend hours in line, and the transportation is horrible so we end up driving more than we want or spending money to take taxis. We still come to visit but we end up spending more time doing other things - going to Universal, Sea World, etc. - or just spending more time at our resort at the pool, etc. Nothing wrong with that but we are almost to the point of not visiting anymore - my DH doesn't come with us most times now because he can't stand paying so much and having to spend so much time waiting. When DD and I went in June 2012, we spent more time hanging at our resort than we did at the parks and we didn't even go to HS.
This is all the result of massive growth and a system that is perhaps too dynamic. Thanks to the rise in international tourism, slow periods are nearly non existent. I think the majority of transportation complaints still stem from buses. I also think that even if you go in peak times, you CAN avoid the long lines if you know how to strategize. That doesn't mean meticulously planning the day. It just means doing what everybody else isn't. If everyone else is leaving at fireworks, wait until after the crowd. Or watch the fireworks like half way down main street, turn around and walk straight out afterwards. You'll be way ahead of the crowds. I know people shouldn't "have" to do these things, but it really has become a situation where you have to always be one step ahead of everyone else. That's what makes a site like this so great, because you have so much information and tips that believe it or not, most visitors don't know. Some still don't know what a fast pass is....
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelztreazurez View Post
I think they also need to change the way the handicap riders work.

While waiting for a bus a wheelchair and their family of 15,pulled in and got right on the bus with no wait. Funny thing was the next day at the pool at the hotel the same handicap person was involved in the pool games dancing and jumping in the pool having a great time ...hmmm....

I have over heard many conversations how its worth the extra money to pay for a wheelchair to not wait in lines...... WOW !!!!

maybe this needs to also be addressed !!!!!
well the joke is on them because the guest assistance pass is free and gets you much quicker access to lines. That said, Disney will never be able to punish abusers of the wheelchair situation like that. One wrong move and discrimination would be claimed, a lawsuit would erupt, etc. Some things are just the result of the deterioration of society and there's nothing even Disney can do about it.
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,822
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelztreazurez View Post
I think they also need to change the way the handicap riders work.

While waiting for a bus a wheelchair and their family of 15,pulled in and got right on the bus with no wait. Funny thing was the next day at the pool at the hotel the same handicap person was involved in the pool games dancing and jumping in the pool having a great time ...hmmm....

I have over heard many conversations how its worth the extra money to pay for a wheelchair to not wait in lines...... WOW !!!!

maybe this needs to also be addressed !!!!!
I'm always amazed at how well people can document the transgressions of those in wheelchairs and how the stories are always amazingly similar.

Family of 15 pulled in front and boarded bus, seen dancing and jumping next day.

What was the rest of that family's day like? What else did they do? Was their entire day fun and frolic or did they wait longer at attractions for the designated ride vehicle? Did anyone in the party give up their fun day at a park to push the wheelchair and have to spend all of their attention watching out for people who were oblivious to the fact that they arent alone in a theme park?

I'm sorry to pick this particular post apart, but every time there is a discussion of transportation at Disney or the use of wheelchairs at Disney, someone posts of the horrible family that boards the bus as the group, forcing everyone else to wait and then joins the limbo contest the next day.

And because this story comes up over and over again, I will continue to post the same thing I always post in response.

Thank God no one in your party needs to use a wheelchair. Thank God that you are in the position to wait the extra 15 minutes. I'm sure the party in the wheelchair would gladly change places with you.

Even if the party you saw was taking advantage of the "rule"...why punish those that truly need the "rule" because of the actions on an idiot?
__________________
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
YetanotherMouseFan
Mouseketeer
 
YetanotherMouseFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 276

I would just like for the busses to return to being busses,with actual seats, and not "cattle cars". I really want to start mooing when I'm in a crowd being herded into one of the new buses, with barely any seats, and lots of standing room with nothing close to hold on to. Does Disney realize that many small children also have to ride standing, and there is nothing at their level to hold on to? Someday, there is going to be a suit from somebody being seriously injured in a sudden stop when the whole darn crowd falls down....
__________________
A bad day at WDW beats a good day just about anywhere else.

WL 3-14
POLY 8-11
POFQ 5-10
CR 12-09
WL 2-09
POR 11-08
And too many more to list!

YetanotherMouseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,803
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelztreazurez View Post
I think they also need to change the way the handicap riders work.

While waiting for a bus a wheelchair and their family of 15,pulled in and got right on the bus with no wait. Funny thing was the next day at the pool at the hotel the same handicap person was involved in the pool games dancing and jumping in the pool having a great time ...hmmm....

I have over heard many conversations how its worth the extra money to pay for a wheelchair to not wait in lines...... WOW !!!!

maybe this needs to also be addressed !!!!!
Unfortunately, there are some flaws in your argument. Sure, you can get a GAP. But, it doesn't cost anything. And merely being in a wheelchair doesn't get you easier/quicker access to most things. The vast majority of attraction lines are now wheelchair/ecv accessible..so you go with the flow. If the line isn't, then you use a different line, but you don't get to just board..you will have some kind of wait times.
As for the buses??? There are new 'suggestions' at the bus stops. The wheelchair/ecv rider is supposed to be at the bus stop, waiting, when the bus arrives. They are supposed to be accompanied by a set number of family members...I can't remember what it is now, but it's a fairly good number.
Other members of the family must board with the rest of the guests. And you need to remember that those people that preboarded, in wheelchairs/ecvs, have to remain on that bus until everyone else is off before they can get off.
Are there abuses? Sure there are. And there always will be.
But, in my 30+ stays in WDW, I don't think I've seen bus abuse, of that nature, more than twice. It's just not the issue that many seem to think.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelztreazurez View Post
I think they also need to change the way the handicap riders work.

While waiting for a bus a wheelchair and their family of 15,pulled in and got right on the bus with no wait. Funny thing was the next day at the pool at the hotel the same handicap person was involved in the pool games dancing and jumping in the pool having a great time ...hmmm....

I have over heard many conversations how its worth the extra money to pay for a wheelchair to not wait in lines...... WOW !!!!

maybe this needs to also be addressed !!!!!
Whenever I see this post....apparently this 15 person family goes to Disney every day and stays at every resort, because everyone has seen them...I always wonder why no one ever posts about all the families that I always see with someone in a wheelchair that "obviously" needs it, having a wonderful time enjoying the parks because of the accessibility that Disney provides? Truly, if I ever see the evil family above I'm okay with just waiting for another bus while counting my blessings and knowing that the vast majority of those I see in wheelchairs or on ECV's certainly wish they weren't, but are so happy to be able to come and enjoy Disney with their families like everyone else.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.