Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Pascal1210
Earning My Ears

Jan 2-12 2012 Honeymoon Trip Report

Hey everyone, this is my first trip report and I am also new to DISboards as well. It's definitely keeping me occupied from being so sad from getting back from Disney World!

First a little background information. My name is Becca and my husband's name is Derek. I grew up surrounded by a family love for Disney, and so did he, but the only difference is that I went to Disney World seven times, and he had never been! Last year, we were visiting friends in South Daytona FL for a week and we decided to go to the Magic Kingdom for one day. I wanted to make sure he liked it before we dived in for a full vacation! Needless to say, he loved it!

We stayed Jan 2-12 at Port Orleans Riverside.

I hope everyone enjoys reading about our trip, because I love reading everyone's trip reports!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Pascal1210
Earning My Ears

Day 1

We got up at 3:30 a.m. to go to the airport. We were staying at my Grandma's because she lives close to Newark, and we were flying out of Newark airport in NJ. We took a car service to the airport. I was freaking out that they would get lost and not show up on time, but I was so happy to find out that they showed up 15 minutes early!

We went through the airport fairly smoothly, and had plenty of time to wait at our gate before boarding.

We arrived and got a little lost trying to find the Magical Express pick up, but we found it after about five minutes. We got on and our resort was the first stop!

We were so surprised to see that the resort was still decorated for Christmas! I had always thought that decorations always went down directly after New Years.

Our first day was very low key. We decided to spend all day in Downtown Disney and get all of our shopping done so we wouldn't have to worry about finding anything in the parks. Good in theory, but we still bought a lot in the parks. We thought it would be best to avoid the crowds since it was only one day past the holiday and that the crowds would drop on the 3rd. Boy were we WRONG. More about that later. We started out with a few hours in Disney Quest. Derek loves video games so it was right up his alley.

We loved the new Lego sculptures! Derek was really into Legos as a kid.

We have started a tradition of getting ice cream at Ghiardellis so we headed over there. Of course, it was starting to get freezing, so thankfully we were able to find a table inside. It was delicious, and I actually finished it! I rarely finish any food that is put in front of me.

We went back to the hotel after that because we had a horse and carriage ride reservation. The carriage and the driver were out there early, so we took off about 15 minutes early. She was very friendly and the ride was beautiful, going along the paths of the French Quarter along the Sassagoula River. Blankets were provided which was thoughtful! It was cold! Our horse's name was Abraham De Lacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley - Tom for short!

Time for bed. Hollywood Studios on Day 2!

First trip ever July 1995 Dixie Landings (now POR), February 1998 Coronado Springs,
New Years Eve 2003-2004 All Star Movies, Senior Trip 2006 All Star Sports,
June 2007 Caribbean Beach, August 2009 All Star Music,
August 2010 All Star Movies and Honeymoon January 2012 Port Orleans Riverside!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Pascal1210
Earning My Ears

Day 2

Day two and we were off to Hollywood Studios! A few years ago I would have said that HS was my least favorite park, but I appreciate it more as I get older. Derek really geeked out over the theme and the back stage props because he has a degree in broadcasting.

When we first got there we walked around aimlessly for a few minutes because I had never been in HS alone with someone else who doesn't know where they are. It was like the blind leading the blind! We managed to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid (one of my top to-do's for the park) and we took photos of all the celebrity hand prints in the cement in front of the Great Movie Ride. The ride wasn't open yet so the place was empty!

Around mid-morning we met up with my Aunt Susie, who had just gotten off the New Years Disney cruise that morning. Some people thought we were nuts for letting her tag along for two and a half days, but we LOVED spending time with her. She is a Disney fanatic, and it made our time more enjoyable.

We saw the Backlot Tour (Derek loved it!) and caught a glimpse of the Pixar Pals Parade before lunch.

We went to Prime Time 50's cafe. Derek was yelled at for putting his elbows on the table, and for having his phone out during family time. I was good this year. For all the foodies on here, you will not be disappointed! Took loads of food pictures on this trip. I got Mom's old fashioned pot road, and Derek got a sampling of Mom's favorite recipes. Smore's for dessert!

After lunch it was time for character meet and greets, more rides and shows until it was time for Fantasmic and Osborne Family Lights. We thought Toy Story Mid Way Mania was AWESOME. Derek won by a land slide.

When we first arrived at the hotel and we saw the Christmas decorations still up, I had only thought they would be up for another day at the latest. To find out that the Osborne lights were still up was a huge treat. I have never seen them before. We were in complete awe and we probably spent about an hour looking at all of it. Aunt Susie had heard of the story of the purple cat. When the Osbornes were packing up the decorations to give to WDW, a halloween decoration purple cat accidentally got put in. They put it up every year, but it is hard to find. After a while of searching, and getting hints from Cast Members, Derek spotted its reflection in a high up window. We moved a little closer, and we saw it up on the roof!

Once we were done with the lights, the park was about ready to close. Unfortunately this messed up a bit with dinner plans because all of the quick service stations were closed too. We just had to head back to the hotel and have a late dinner there. This is something that I have NEVER done, and something that will never be done again probably! I have the mind set of: Eat at the resort and waste time??? What???

We were also planning on going mini golfing that night, but it was just too cold! When we had packed, the coldest day was supposed to be 62. Well by the time we were ready to leave two days later (we had to drive out to my parents in NJ to drop off our cats, and then head up to to my grandma's) the lowest temperature was then going to be 45. We were NOT prepared. I was so glad I packed warm pajamas because hotel rooms usually are cold even when you adjust the temp. Off to bed to rest up for Day 3 Magic Kingdom!

Hope everyone is enjoying the trip report so far. Read and comments are welcome!!!!

First trip ever July 1995 Dixie Landings (now POR), February 1998 Coronado Springs,
New Years Eve 2003-2004 All Star Movies, Senior Trip 2006 All Star Sports,
June 2007 Caribbean Beach, August 2009 All Star Music,
August 2010 All Star Movies and Honeymoon January 2012 Port Orleans Riverside!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
lovenerds81112
Forever cute and nerdy.

Great report!!! Leaving for my disneymoon in 14 days!!!
JUNE 2014:AULANI!!!-JUNE 2013: BAY LAKE-DECEMBER 2012: OLD KEY WEST
EPIC DISNEYMOON AUGUST 2012: BOARDWALK-->DISNEY DREAM-->WILDERNESS LODGEDisneymoon TR
AUGUST 2011: DISNEYLAND PARIS-MARCH 2011: PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER (FIRST STAY ON-PROPERTY!)-JUNE 2006: DISNEYLAND PARIS
JUNE 2002: TOKYO DISNEYLAND-NOVEMBER '89, '90, '91: WDW (OFF PROPERTY)

Tags
honeymoon, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: