Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #271
tinytinkmom
I work to support my vacation habit!

Thanks for all of the great info! We have only stayed at POP and FW, and I was torn between AoA and POFQ for our upcoming trip... Seeing pics and reading these posts make me feel good about the decision!
WDW Offsite---August 1990 * Offsite---May 2003 * FW---May 2007 * POP---Jan 2009 * POP---March 2012 * POFQ---Dec 2012 DL Too many times to count! DCL Western---May 2007 * Eastern---Jan 2008 * MR---March 2011 * Double-Dip---March 2012 * Eastern---Dec 2012

Check out my blog: www.springintodisney.blogspot.com

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #272
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyfan608 View Post
We plan to check in late in the evening, well after dinner. Do we have a better chance of getting our room requests if we do online check in? If we don't like our location and decide to do online check in, how easy is it to switch rooms?
Online check-in does not actually make a difference to your room location. Unless a room has been pre-blocked due to special requests or a multi-room booking, your actual room number is normally assigned from the pool of currently available rooms when you walk up to the desk. The main advantage of OLCI is that all the paperwork/etc should be done and ready for you, which speeds up the process at the front desk - they just need to activate your keycard.

And yes, if you're not happy with the location they have given you, you can still ask for it to be changed. Obviously the later in the day you arrive, the less choices may be available though. I'd suggest faxing 3-5 days before you arrive, letting them know that you are checking in very late and asking if they could pre-assign your room request in advance. Online checkin does not make any difference to their ability to do this.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 06-26-2012 at 02:22 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #273
Jillianv29
Mouseketeer

I also have an 8am Bfast here. What time would you recommend leaving the hotel. How long did it take you to walk from the entrance of Epcot to Akershus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullily View Post
Yep, 15 mins late for a 8am ADR at Akershus one morning. Waited 20 mins for the bus, it left POFQ and then decided to turn around and go back into POR. We were as much to blame though for not allowing enough time.

Was there at the beginning of June and have to say I thought the buses were excellent, had no problems at all really, shared sometimes, didn't others. 9.9 times out of 10 they picked up and dropped off at FQ first.

Loved POFQ and for everyone who's not been before you're in for a treat
Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #274
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianv29 View Post
I also have an 8am Bfast here. What time would you recommend leaving the hotel. How long did it take you to walk from the entrance of Epcot to Akershus??
From the bus drop-off at Epcot, through security, and to Akershus is at least 20 mins in itself. Plus it's nice to take advantage of the empty park to get some pictures while you walk.

To be safe, I would give yourself a good hour from when you get to the POFQ bus stop to getting to the restaurant podium.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #275
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Oops, wrong thread...

Last edited by andrewilley; 06-26-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #276
slyster
Mouseketeer

quick ? for you POFQ experienced travelers. The boat ride to Downtown Disney. Does it pick up from Riverside first or is it a separate boat that picks us up? we have dinner reservations at 6:30 our first night and we would love to take a boat ride there. Not sure how much time we need to give for that.

Is it a long wait to get on the boat especially at dinner time? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #277
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyster View Post
quick ? for you POFQ experienced travelers. The boat ride to Downtown Disney. Does it pick up from Riverside first or is it a separate boat that picks us up? we have dinner reservations at 6:30 our first night and we would love to take a boat ride there. Not sure how much time we need to give for that.

Is it a long wait to get on the boat especially at dinner time? Thanks in advance...
It picks up from Riverside first. I know at lunchtime we had to wait for another boat as the first one filled too quickly. I'd give yourself plenty of time - better to be early.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #278
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyster View Post

It is a separate boat to DTD. POFQ takes a little less time, since POR is further and passes POFQ on the way to DTD. The boat is usually 15 minutes from POFQ and 20 minutes from POR, but you should allow at least up to an hour to get anywhere in WDW just incase. 45 minutes earlier might work too!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #279
beautifullily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
From the bus drop-off at Epcot, through security, and to Akershus is at least 20 mins in itself. Plus it's nice to take advantage of the empty park to get some pictures while you walk.

To be safe, I would give yourself a good hour from when you get to the POFQ bus stop to getting to the restaurant podium.

Andre
I'd agree. Think we were at the bus stop at 7.15am, but like I said it just wasn't enough time. Akershus were very good though with our late arrival and we still joined the queue to meet Belle pretty much straight away.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #280
DisBamaGirl
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if the Pop Warner football events normally impact POFQ?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #281
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisBamaGirl View Post
Does anyone know if the Pop Warner football events normally impact POFQ?
If depends if POFQ is one of the mods at which they are staying.

We went during Pop Warner week, but stayed at the Poly. So we didn't really notice them.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #282
DisBamaGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
If depends if POFQ is one of the mods at which they are staying.

We went during Pop Warner week, but stayed at the Poly. So we didn't really notice them.
That was what I was wondering. I didn't know if they normally stay at POFQ or not. How were the crowds during Pop Warner week?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #283
jalpert
Mouseketeer

Quick question. We have only been to WDW once and stayed at CSR. Had we know parking was so easy, we probably would have rented a car.

We want to rent a car this time around, but we're ready for a change. How is the parking at POFQ? Can I expect to park close to our room, and expect finding a spot not being an issue?

We are going in the middle of January. I searched this thread but had a hard time sorting through the hits. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #284
Planning fanatic mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpert View Post
Quick question. We have only been to WDW once and stayed at CSR. Had we know parking was so easy, we probably would have rented a car.

We want to rent a car this time around, but we're ready for a change. How is the parking at POFQ? Can I expect to park close to our room, and expect finding a spot not being an issue?

We are going in the middle of January. I searched this thread but had a hard time sorting through the hits. Thanks.
I guess it would depend upon which building you were in as to how close you are to your car. If it is important to you, then you might want to add a request of a building that has a back to a parking lot. We stayed in Building 4. Although we were facing into the resort and a courtyard, the back of the building faced a parking lot where we parked our van. It was so easy. There were plenty of spaces and this was in June.

The map at the beginning of this thread should give you an idea of what buildings to request.

1987 Off Site: 1990 Honeymoon: 1997 Shades of Green: 2006 POP: 2007 POR: 2009 WL: 2010 CSR: 2012 RPH and POFQ: 2014 POFQ

Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #285
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisBamaGirl View Post
That was what I was wondering. I didn't know if they normally stay at POFQ or not. How were the crowds during Pop Warner week?
Crowds weren't bad at all. Our longest wait was 20 minutes. The Pop Warner kids tend to go the parks in the evenings and when they have been eliminated.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: