Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #256
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamary View Post
I think it was plain old coffee. There is only one choice and I believe it is nescafe. Tasted ok though. DH drank the coffee in the room and I'd go fill the mugs up in the morning.
I thought I read on the boards that you can purchase freshly brewed coffee from behind one of the counters?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #257
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
I thought I read on the boards that you can purchase freshly brewed coffee from behind one of the counters?
If you can than I didn't know about it.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #258
Planning fanatic mom
DIS Veteran

Hello,

We arrived home last night after a wonderful vacation. We had such a great time and a lot of that greatness had to do with Port Orleans French Quarter. Here are some of our thoughts.

1. Our room location was perfect. I requested top floor of building 4. We were in room 4333. We were steps away from the food court and bus stop. We overlooked the courtyard where they showed the movies each night. Didn't bother us at all.

2. Mousekeeping was great. Our fridge wasn't working when we got there, and there was a new one within a half an hour of calling. Very clean rooms and one towel animal. The mousekeeper even made this cute toothbrush holder out of towels.

3. Food court was good. Ate every breakfast there and one dinner. There was always plenty of food to choose from and hot. The only complaint I had was that the iced tea wasn't working for a couple of days, but it was fixed. Not a big deal though.

4. We didn't use the pool much, but it was fun. Never super crowded.

5. Staff members were all very nice and helpful. We needed directions and the provided a map with detailed directions.

6. Transportation: The boat to DTD was wonderful. Very little wait. Crowded at times, but still good.

OK: The buses did provide for a couple of issues. We did not share with Riverside any morning except one. This one morning was the morning going to DHS. We waited 20 minutes for a bus, and there was a long line. We crowded onto the bus with many people standing. Some of the people at FQ were unable to fit. Many people were grumpy but quiet about it. Then the driver headed to Riverside. Now it started getting loud. He stopped at the first stop allowed 3 more people get on, then headed to DHS. There was no explanation. Just weird.

Another bizarre incident occurred on our way back from MK. The driver drove past the FQ turn and then headed into OKW, drove through the resort, did not stop at any bus stops, then drove out of the resort, and drove to FQ. There was a lady on the bus that said that this happened all of the time. It was weird, and again no explanation.

Other that that, we only shared with Riverside during the afternoon hours.

On a positive note, another night we were leaving DHS after the 10:30 Fantasimic, and the bus was unable to accommodate us. It was just too crowded for us and another family. So, we had to wait. We were a little bummed until a Disney Cruise Line bus pulled up and offered us a ride to FQ. It was great. The most comfortable ride in the entire week. The 2 families couldn't get over the great accommodation that was made.

Anyway a great experience. I don't think we will ever stay at any other Value or Moderate. We are officially POFQ fans.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

1987 Off Site: 1990 Honeymoon: 1997 Shades of Green: 2006 POP: 2007 POR: 2009 WL: 2010 CSR: 2012 RPH and POFQ: 2014 POFQ

Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #259
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamary View Post
If you can than I didn't know about it.
Thought it sounded to good to be true!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #260
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning fanatic mom View Post
Hello,

We arrived home last night after a wonderful vacation. We had such a great time and a lot of that greatness had to do with Port Orleans French Quarter. Here are some of our thoughts.

1. Our room location was perfect. I requested top floor of building 4. We were in room 4333. We were steps away from the food court and bus stop. We overlooked the courtyard where they showed the movies each night. Didn't bother us at all.

2. Mousekeeping was great. Our fridge wasn't working when we got there, and there was a new one within a half an hour of calling. Very clean rooms and one towel animal. The mousekeeper even made this cute toothbrush holder out of towels.

3. Food court was good. Ate every breakfast there and one dinner. There was always plenty of food to choose from and hot. The only complaint I had was that the iced tea wasn't working for a couple of days, but it was fixed. Not a big deal though.

4. We didn't use the pool much, but it was fun. Never super crowded.

5. Staff members were all very nice and helpful. We needed directions and the provided a map with detailed directions.

6. Transportation: The boat to DTD was wonderful. Very little wait. Crowded at times, but still good.

OK: The buses did provide for a couple of issues. We did not share with Riverside any morning except one. This one morning was the morning going to DHS. We waited 20 minutes for a bus, and there was a long line. We crowded onto the bus with many people standing. Some of the people at FQ were unable to fit. Many people were grumpy but quiet about it. Then the driver headed to Riverside. Now it started getting loud. He stopped at the first stop allowed 3 more people get on, then headed to DHS. There was no explanation. Just weird.

Another bizarre incident occurred on our way back from MK. The driver drove past the FQ turn and then headed into OKW, drove through the resort, did not stop at any bus stops, then drove out of the resort, and drove to FQ. There was a lady on the bus that said that this happened all of the time. It was weird, and again no explanation.

Other that that, we only shared with Riverside during the afternoon hours.

On a positive note, another night we were leaving DHS after the 10:30 Fantasimic, and the bus was unable to accommodate us. It was just too crowded for us and another family. So, we had to wait. We were a little bummed until a Disney Cruise Line bus pulled up and offered us a ride to FQ. It was great. The most comfortable ride in the entire week. The 2 families couldn't get over the great accommodation that was made.

Anyway a great experience. I don't think we will ever stay at any other Value or Moderate. We are officially POFQ fans.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
We just got back too Our bus experience was different than yours - other than going to the MK and back our bus stopped at Riverside every time - I was very surprised. Mornings, one afternoon and nights. Oh actually coming back from AK we stopped at the water park. What was weird though one morning the riverside guests were already on the bus - that only happened once though

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #261
PrincessDana
See missed attractions or revisit favorites.....decisions, decisions!!!
The Tag Fairies' popularity is a kick to them, too!! :)

I'm a bit dismayed at these bus reports. I had been hoping for a single bus stop for a majority of our trip...we switched from POR to POFQ and one of the reasons was the single bus stop....now I am having slight switcher's remorse.

05/2014: It's been so long! Combined USO/IOA onsite and WDW!!
10/2012: Back onsite, POFQ, free dining again!
10/2011: My first extended family trip. 10 in all, 8 newbies!! Plus sneaking over to IOA to check out RPR and HP!
06/2011---Another quick trip offsite!
05/2010---Quick weekend trip to Bonnet Creek Resort with the "in-laws"...off-site was surprisingly okay. lol
09/2009 Saratoga Springs, one-bedroom villa, first free dining....grownups only!!
10/2008 All-Star Sports
10/2007 Coronado Springs.
10/2006 Pop Century
02/2006--My 30th birthday solo trip at Pop Century
09/2005 Polynesian
12/2004 Wilderness Lodge
10/2003 Coronado Springs
06/2002 Caribbean Beach
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #262
Planning fanatic mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDana View Post
I'm a bit dismayed at these bus reports. I had been hoping for a single bus stop for a majority of our trip...we switched from POR to POFQ and one of the reasons was the single bus stop....now I am having slight switcher's remorse.
Don't get me wrong, most of the time the buses were perfect. Punctual and efficient. It was only a couple of times we had problems, and I can guess that these things can happen at all resorts. I have stayed at POR, and I can say that the buses were better at POFQ because POR always has multiple stops. POFQ only has multiple stops a few times. I'll take the POFQ buses any day.

1987 Off Site: 1990 Honeymoon: 1997 Shades of Green: 2006 POP: 2007 POR: 2009 WL: 2010 CSR: 2012 RPH and POFQ: 2014 POFQ

Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #263
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not sure how they decide to share a bus with POR. Last September, we never shared a bus with POR.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #264
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
I am not sure how they decide to share a bus with POR. Last September, we never shared a bus with POR.
This is why I was surprised that we shared so much. Since deciding to stay at POFQ I heard alot of reports of only sharing during "non busy times" like mid afternoon. After I realized we'd be sharing most trips I built in extra time. I felt it added a good 5-10 mts onto the trip. The bus would stop at all Riverside stops (whether there were people waiting to get on or not) - most times people got on mostly at their main stop at Riverside. I felt bad because most of the time seats were taken up by POFQ guests.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #265
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
Last September (traditionally slow time) I only shared one bus at about 6pm to go to DHS.

It was raining to boot and I was one of only 3 people to board at POFQ, I think maybe 2 got on at POR and we only stopped at one of their busstops.

The rest of the time the buses went straight to the park, no matter what time I boarded and I never shared one comeing back from a park.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #266
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
The situation is that at the majority of busier times, and I mean time of day as well as season, the buses are not shared. Midday, late afternoon - all bets are off. And as you can see posted here - sometimes it might make NO sense when the driver heads to pick up other riders.

There is no guarantee of separate buses - but at the prime travel times (date and time of day again) it is far less likely they will share. We had 2 share in a whole week of park visits during the end of March. Which is much better than the POR guarantee of always sharing with multiple stops and possibly POFQ too!

The only guarantee is that the buses will be shared when you are running late to an appt or ADR - same as at home

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #267
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
The situation is that at the majority of busier times, and I mean time of day as well as season, the buses are not shared. Midday, late afternoon - all bets are off. And as you can see posted here - sometimes it might make NO sense when the driver heads to pick up other riders.

There is no guarantee of separate buses - but at the prime travel times (date and time of day again) it is far less likely they will share. We had 2 share in a whole week of park visits during the end of March. Which is much better than the POR guarantee of always sharing with multiple stops and possibly POFQ too!

The only guarantee is that the buses will be shared when you are running late to an appt or ADR - same as at home

Sydnerella's Mama
I don't know - like I said we shared almost every time and it was June (mornings and evenings). I think as long as you assume that you will share and build in extra time you will be ok. The one time going to MK that we didn't share well we got there around 8:20am so we just took pics and hung out. I'd rather be early than late.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #268
jcammans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
Mine came in the mail yesterday and it said that it had to be redeemed in the parks or at Team Mickey at Downtown Disney.
Thank you so much for the response! I appreciate the information.

Walt Disney World - 4 trips (1983, 1987, 1995, 2000) - Offsite, Poly
Disneyland - 1 trip (1991)
Disneymoon - October 2012 - POFQ (Hubby's 1st visit!)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #269
beautifullily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post

Sydnerella's Mama
Yep, 15 mins late for a 8am ADR at Akershus one morning. Waited 20 mins for the bus, it left POFQ and then decided to turn around and go back into POR. We were as much to blame though for not allowing enough time.

Was there at the beginning of June and have to say I thought the buses were excellent, had no problems at all really, shared sometimes, didn't others. 9.9 times out of 10 they picked up and dropped off at FQ first.

Loved POFQ and for everyone who's not been before you're in for a treat
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #270
dsnyfan608
Mouseketeer

We plan to check in late in the evening, well after dinner. Do we have a better chance of getting our room requests if we do online check in? If we don't like our location and decide to do online check in, how easy is it to switch rooms?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: