Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
budafam
DIS Veteran

Mother In Law's Tongue - May 4-12 COMPLETE with VIDEOS & Puppy Update!!!

Welcome one and all to the big TR (trip report!) I am EXCITED about this one! I'm going to try to take my time to remember every last little detail so bare with me. I always run into issues using Photobucket so if anyone could point me in the direction of a photo hosting site that will not make all my pictures look the same or limit my bandwith that would be FANTASTIC!

So join in!!! Laugh, cry, scream... whatever! I will do my best to reply.

Table of Contents
Introductions
Countdown & Movie Nights
Presents

Day #1
One Hour of Sleep - Here We Go!!!
Did We Stretch Her Enough???
The Sword, The Stone & Lucy
Surprise! No Cement for Our Butts! Part 1
Surprise! No Cement for Our Butts! Part 2

Day #2
I Run & You Stop For Daisy?
Someone Should Tell MIL Curiousity Killed the Cat
Category 5
Shopping, Bowling, Racing, Pin Trading, Oh My!
So You're Telling Me We Have NOWHERE To Sleep Tonight?

Day #3
Front of the Line
OMG - Where did this kid get a $200 Photopass Plus card?'Ohana Means Family; Family Means Embarrassment

Day #4
Lucy & Jake Sitting in a Tree...
"We'll Give You $100 For Your Spot In Jedi Training!"
Don't Worry, We're Not Going on Tower of Terror... Okay, We Lied.
Another Meal Ruined
I Volunteer!!! Rain, Rain Go Away.

Day #5
Don't Turn Around!
OMG, FRONT ROW!??!
Animals, Bugs & Dinos... Oh My!!!
Boney Butts
I Dream of Seafood Gumbo

Day #6
Aloha
SURPRISE!!!!! We're going PARASAILING!!!
Time for MK!
Intermission/Lunch Time
Princess Time
Seeing Double
Bad News...
Cinderella's Dress = Kleenex

Day #7
Universal Day
Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Jurassic Park & Superheroes
Christmas & City Walk
Universal Characters
Homer, Beetlejuice & Shrek
Goodbye Universal & Hello Cape May Cafe

Day #8 (last day)
Why are you all dressed up as butter?
Does spaghetti give you the bubbles?
My MIL Should Give Tours
Pics & Club Cool
You can't go to Mexico, we're PAST Mexico.. we're in NORWAY!
Pick a Pearl Brawl
Finishing the Walk & We're Out!
Fort Wilderness
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=143

BONUS!!!
Puppy Update & VIDEOS!!!

Last edited by budafam; 09-24-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Adding Links
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
OhioMom
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Loved your dining report!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
mnrhannah07
1,287 miles from WDW

Count me in!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
ThreeAngels
DIS Veteran

Location: Born and raised in Buffalo, NY. GO BILLS!! Now raising our family near Atlanta, GA.

Yay! Loved Your dining report and can't wait to read the trip report, too. Love your title!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

Great dining report! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I'm here too. Let the good times roll!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
budafam
DIS Veteran

Introductions

Introductions

First off, a little background on our "Disney" past. Our family (consisting of us four), visited WDW for the first time last May. We drove down and spent 6 nights in the world. It was a fantastic time & had me instantly hooked.

In September we went ahead and booked our week at Bonnet Creek for May 2012. We talked MIL into coming along with us. We planned to drive in order to save money. It was going to be MIL's first time at WDW! We booked at Bonnet Creek because of the extra room and the fact that we would have 5 people instead of the Disney standard (which seems to be 4). Yes, there are options for 5 people but the cost would've been outrageous! We paid $693 TOTAL for a 2 bedroom deluxe condo at Bonnet Creek and it was worth much more than that IMO.

Later that year in October, DH agreed to let me book a surprise trip just for me & my DS who was 5 at the time. I booked for Halloween and we surprised him at 3am the morning of that he was going to go on his first airplane ride. We had free dining, attended MNSSHP & got to see my all time favorite band, Hanson at Epcot's Eat to the Beat concert series. It was an AMAZING time that I will never forget. Neither will DS!

I ended up getting the glorious Southwest Visa card deal with the free 50,000 points so at Christmas, we surprised MIL with the news that we were going to fly instead of drive. She has never been on an airplane!

Sooo... that brings us to the trip. It seemed to take forever to get here but I planned a lot of Disney movie nights to make time go by quicker. I made shirts and booked many ADR's plus a few extra surprises.

We are also from Wisconsin... if that matters to anyone

Here are our intro's:

Kristy (me), age 28
Favorite Disney Character: Tinkerbell
Favorite Disney Movie: Alice in Wonderland
Favorite Disney Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite WDW Ride: Toy Story Midway Mania
Least Favorite WDW Ride: Teacups
Favorite Disney Show: Fantasmic
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Boma's Dinner
Favorite Food: Any type of seafood... if it comes out of the water, I'll eat it!
Favorite Color: Pink
Number of Trips: This will be my 3rd in ONE year!
More info:
I'm a stay at home mom to my 2 kids. I babysit kids part time in my home & secret shop to earn extra money. I love to go to garage sales and sell online as well. I coupon a lot and always find great deals. I also like to scrapbook, cook, spend time with my puppies, garden & decorate cakes. A lot of people think I am super mom... I like to do a lot with my kids and I want them to experience as much as they can while they're still young. Some of my most favorite memories are from when I was young. My mom recently passed away almost 3 years ago and I try to be half of the person she was. I miss her terribly but I think Disney has helped me cope with the loss. I feel like she's with me when I'm watching Wishes. She would've loved to see that.

Nick (DH), age 29
Favorite Disney Character: Aladdin
Favorite Disney Movie: Aladdin
Favorite Disney Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite WDW Ride: Soarin'
Least Favorite WDW Ride: Country Bears
Favorite Disney Show in the parks: Fantasmic
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Pinnochio's Village Haus
Favorite Food: Cheese pizza... he literally eats at least one whole frozen cheese pizza per day. No lie. I'll get into that in a bit. I know, it's mind blowing.
Favorite Color: Red
Number of Trips: This will be his second within one year.
More Info:
Nick works at a mobility company that makes vehicles handicapped accessible and easier to drive for those with disabilities. He has been working there for close to 10 years now and absolutely LOVES his job. Nick is the kinda guy that can do anything. You give him a challenge and he will rise to it and kick it's butt! Nick's hobbies include remodeling & cars. He loves to work on our house (his latest accomplishment was remodeling our entire basement) and loves to go fast!!! He is an amazing dad & wonderful husband. He loves to spend time with his kids and does a lot more with them than most dads I know. I've been married to him for almost 7 years now (together for 10). Nick grew up with a rough childhood. He never lived in one place for more than a year and changed schools more than he can remember. He never went on a vacation until he met me and never really had anything that he could call his own. It's amazing to see the man he has become and I'm so glad he's mine!
Now onto the weirdness. He's a picky eater. Now when most people say "picky", you think no mushrooms or no onions. No. No meat, no fruit, no veggies. A list of foods he will eat: cheese pizza, mozzarella sticks, french fries, french toast, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, cool ranch doritos, yellow cake (no frosting), vanilla ice cream, grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, mac & cheese... a few select candies, certain cereals (most that require sugar or he dumps about 10 tablespoons on top of it) & a steady stream of Mountain Dew. I think he would bleed Mountain Dew to be honest. I know, not healthy. You don't need to tell me that twice! I have tried everything to change his ways but he is one stubborn grown man. He has eaten this way since was 3 years old and literally cannot handle the textures. I've tried bribing, begging, threatening, etc. Nothing works. I blame his mother 100%. She wants to get him hypnotized... maybe someday but he has to be willing to do that first. He's healthy as can be (believe it or not)... strongest man I've ever met as well. He has always been skinnier than me but pure muscle. I wish I could go on that diet! If I did though, I would end up over 500 lbs. with major health issues... ugh, so frustrating!
So whenever we go on a trip, he gets really nervous about what he's going to eat. Our first trip at WDW was a bit stressful since we were still learning. Now we know and we are prepared.

Dominic (DS), age 5
Favorite Disney Character: Buzz Lightyear
Favorite Disney Movie: Haunted Mansion
Favorite Disney Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite WDW Ride: Haunted Mansion
Least Favorite WDW Ride: Tower of Terror
Favorite Disney Show in the parks: Indiana Jones
Favorite WDW Restaurant: T-Rex
Favorite Food: strawberries
Favorite Color: orange
Number of Trips: This will be his 3rd in one year.
More Info:
Dominic was in kindergarten and this was the second trip we took him out of school for (his poor teacher had never been to WDW but she was so excited for him to go twice!) He is the coolest little kid. Always doing something creative. He's hilarious & full of energy. He has grown out of using a stroller (thank goodness) and can go from rope drop till fireworks with no problem. He loves scary movies! He's into dinosaurs, cars, riding his bike, watching movies, making up games & playing with his sister.

Lucy (DD), age 3
Favorite Disney Character: Sleeping Beauty
Favorite Disney Movie: Sleeping Beauty
Favorite Disney Park: She says Disney World... lol
Favorite WDW Ride: It's a Small World
Least Favorite WDW Ride: Haunted Mansion
Favorite Disney Show in the parks: Finding Nemo the Musical
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Hollywood & Vine
Favorite Food: pizza
Favorite Color: pink
Number of Trips: This will be her second trip within one year.
More Info:
Lucy stays at home with me during the day and helps entertain the kids that I babysit. She is super shy and very quiet but LOOOVES everything to do with princesses. She has an almost complete collection of princess dresses (I've purchased most of them at garage sales for as low as $1 each!) and she loves to watch movies just like her brother. Everywhere I take her, someone always comments on how adorable she is. I'm not exaggerating. She is a hard one to say no to and usually doesn't hear that word enough.

Rose (MIL), age 50
Favorite Disney Character: Mickey
Favorite Disney Movie: Fantasia
Favorite Disney Park: Epcot
Favorite WDW Ride: Soarin'
Least Favorite WDW Ride: Stitch's Great Escape
Favorite Disney Show in the parks: Finding Nemo the Musical
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Boma
Favorite Food: Seafood
Favorite Color: Yellow
Number of Trips: This is her FIRST TIME!!!
More Info:
Rose works full time as a postal carrier. When she's not working that job, she is at home tending to her acre and a half garden. She has a small produce stand in the summertime. She lives close to 2 hours away from us so we don't see her as much as we would like and she's usually very busy in the summer with the garden stuff. They recently began raising tilapia about a year and a half ago. There still hasn't been a single tilapia harvested from their tanks but her husband keeps on buying more tanks... she loves seafood and likes to try different things. She has been married twice. The first marriage was where she got 2 boys from (one of them being my husband). They divorced and she remarried the man she is with now but they keep moving farther and farther away Rose has almost every single Disney movie ever made but has never been to Disney World and never been on an airplane. She rarely ever gets a vacation and I am so glad to be planning this for her and making sure she has the time of her life!
A little personal note on my MIL: She is a wonderful person and I love her very much. It may not seem like it throughout this trip report but I knew what I was getting myself into going on a trip with her. She likes to have a few drinks often. Usually nightly. When she drinks, she gets talkative... a bit too much sometimes. There are quirks about her that neither DH or I really understand but we promised each other we would try our hardest to put up with it all during this trip. Will we succeed? You'll just have to keep reading to find out

Soooo, let's do the 5 W's right away and get this party started!

Who: Our Fab Five - Kristy (Me), Nick (DH), Dominic (DS), Lucy (DD) & Rose (MIL)
When: May 4th-12th
What: Disney World & Universal
Where: Staying at a Red Roof Inn for the 1st night (roughing it) then off to Bonnet Creek for the following 7 nights!
Why: Because I can't get enough & everyone else secretly loves it as well! Grandma's 1st time!!!

Let the magic begin!

Last edited by budafam; 06-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
budafam
DIS Veteran

Countdown & Movie Nights

I made a countdown that started at 80 days. Each day we took off a Mickey head (yeah, I cut them all out by hand, ugh...) and there was a sticker or a picture of Disney behind it.

In order to pass the time a little more quickly, we also had movie nights. Here are some pics...

Pixie Hollow (where they got makeovers):

Harry Potter Night... butterbeer & magic wands:

I love movie nights. I think I enjoy them more than the kids do. DH rarely participates since he will not eat most of the things we get (although Toy Story was popular with him since we had pizza & mac and cheese). We had all of the movies written down on pieces of paper and they were inside our Disney popcorn bucket so we would pick a new one each week.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
FancyNancy
Princess

Subbing in!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
marmalade
DIS Veteran

I love the themed movie nights! What a great idea, very creative!

I can't wait to read more.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
budafam
DIS Veteran

Presents

As if Disney isn't enough of a present.... I tend to load up on Disney toys throughout the year. Whenever I see clearanced toys, I pick them up and put them away for our trips. I wrap them up and magically they appear in the mornings or after we get back from the parks each day. The kids love them and don't bother me as much in the gift shops for new toys. (They sure suckered grandma into enough on this trip though!) Here's what I all had brought along (minus the snowglobe and Toy Story set... wasn't about to fight the airlines on that).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Amazing! Just A--mazing! Lucky kids! I can't wait to read your report.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
budafam
DIS Veteran

One Hour of Sleep - Here We Go!!!

Our flight was scheduled to take off from Chicago Midway Airport at 7:45am. Sooo lucky us got to wake up at 1:45am that morning. I was so worried about not getting any sleep, I woke up at 3am the day before to make sure I was plenty tired the next night. Of course we got all sorts of company the night before we left and I didn't get to bed till about 7:30pm. However, I did not fall asleep until midnight. Our house was super stuffy and warm... we just had central air installed but it wasn't working right quite yet so I eventually ended up on our living room couch where I slept for the 60 minutes. Basically I was about to leave for Disney after only getting an hour sleep in the last 24 hours and I only had to last another 24 hours. NO PROBLEM!!!

MIL had been dropped off by her hubby the day before and the van was packed.

The kids woke up with NO problems whatsoever... since I had been up at 1am, I went ahead and made cinnamon rolls. The kids found their first surprises... DS got a coloring book from DVC and DD got her first pair of Minnie ears (we all had ours already).

We left at 2:15am on the dot and started our 3 hour drive to Chicago. I had a coupon for parking so we needed to find a certain parking lot... of course we couldn't find it and we ended up parking somewhere where it costed $5 extra a day to park. 8 days added up to an extra $40.. our first budget buster.

We parked the van and barely looked at where we were parked (big mistake)... we got on the bus that took us to the terminal. We had a ton of luggage plus a stroller and it was a PITA! But who cares! We were on our way to Disney. We all had our matching tie dye shirts on and even the bus driver commented "I know where you're going... make sure to ride Soarin'!" Don't worry buddy, we will!

We finally got our luggage checked and it was smooth sailing from there. Here's grandma and the kids waiting to board:

The flight went smooth. I am not a flyer but for Disney, I'll do anything. I sat with the 2 kids and let MIL & DH get a few minutes of shut eye (even though they were beating me for most sleep time in the past 24 hours). I wasn't worried about myself. Going to Disney is such a rush, there's no way I would be crabby but DH & MIL are another thing. Our pilot ROCKED and got us there 20 minutes EARLY! Yay pilot! We landed at 11am and got our rental van by 12:30pm.

I made the accident of sending DH & MIL to get the rental. I had booked it with a few coupon codes and the people behind the desk talked MIL into a few "extras" which ended up costing an extra $200! She said she would cover it (thank goodness because I did not budget that). We fell in love with the van though. Stow & go, automatic doors, windows that roll down in the middle & GPS... heavenly.

We had a few issues finding our way out of MCO. Did a few laps around the parking garage but finally we were on our way. I did not take a picture of the famous sign this time. Instead I took video. We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 1:00pm. I apologize for the lack of pictures during this time... I was just so excited to get IN the park, I completely forgot to snap a few! We parked with our Diamond parking pass and took a tram to the monorail. It was the first time we had ever taken a tram. We all boarded and they started pulling away when MIL screamed that we had left one of the van doors wide open!!! DH quickly pulled out the keys and pushed the button as we were zooming away. He was 98% sure that he got it so we took the chance and kept on once we got to the monorail. What's the worst that could've happened... all of our luggage gets stolen? lol... MK is more important!

The Avengers monorail pulled up and I was so excited! We arrived at MK and MIL was already complaining of the heat. Oy!

We got into the park and I headed straight over to upgrade to Photopass Plus. The kids were approached to do their first pin trade (exciting!) They loved it already... I knew we were in trouble.

We finished up there and left to make our way to get our first viewing of the castle. I pulled out my video camera to get MIL's reaction to seeing the castle. We slowly make our way onto Main Street and what is she doing? BUYING a $17.95 fan/spray bottle!!! She didn't even look at the castle... she was so interested in this overpriced giant fan/bottle that we now had to lug around the entire trip. YIPPEE!!! So yeah, the video is not even worth posting because I was like "SERIOUSLY!?" Even DH was a little peeved she didn't make a big deal. lol...

We stopped for our first Photopass Plus session:

We got down Main Street past the gaudy bakery sticking out into the street (ugh!) and MIL made her second purchase... a pink Mickey visor from a cart. Of course the kids had to pin trade with her as well. Okay, that's enough! Time for a ride!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
JennisSilly
Mouseketeer

Subbing In!

I LOVE your movie night ideas! Can't wait to see the rest of your report!!

WDW: 2005 POFQ, 2006 OKW- Grand Villa, 2009 AKL Jambo House- 1 bedroom Villa, 2011 AKL Jambo House 1 bedroom- CANCELLED
Disneyland: To many times to count, DLH, DPP, GC, VGC- 2 bedroom villa

Our Adoption Story & Blog
A May WDW Trip- Cancelled!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: