DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #166
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat3668 View Post
Looking into possible purchasing DVC... I usually travel Sept , Dec, late jan early Feb or march what would be the best use year for me?
Ideally, you want your UY to be just before you travel, so September would work best for you. August would probably also be just fine.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #167
gert
Mouseketeer

I am really having a hard time understanding UY.

I'm planning on becoming a member through resale once my home equity loan closes. Probably 150pts at BWV to start. Our travel times would almost always be from June 15th-August 15th every year.

I don't anticipate that changing for another 10 years, and by then I'll have caught addonitis so many times and I'll be so flush with points that it won't matter if they go into holding and expire

What's my best UY?
gert is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #168
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I am really having a hard time understanding UY.

I'm planning on becoming a member through resale once my home equity loan closes. Probably 150pts at BWV to start. Our travel times would almost always be from June 15th-August 15th every year.

I don't anticipate that changing for another 10 years, and by then I'll have caught addonitis so many times and I'll be so flush with points that it won't matter if they go into holding and expire

What's my best UY?
June would be ideal--if you can't find that, with the travel dates you mention, I would look for April, March or Feb UY. Those would all work too.

Having a UY that starts just before your typical travel offers the most flexibility if you have to cancel or want to change a trip at least 31 days in advance.

UY does not have any impact on when you can book. You can always call 11 months in advance to book at your home resort and 7 months in advance for the others.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #169
gert
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
June would be ideal--if you can't find that, with the travel dates you mention, I would look for April, March or Feb UY. Those would all work too.

Having a UY that starts just before your typical travel offers the most flexibility if you have to cancel or want to change a trip at least 31 days in advance.

UY does not have any impact on when you can book. You can always call 11 months in advance to book at your home resort and 7 months in advance for the others.
Bless you! No idea why I had so much trouble figuring out my best UY. I read all 12 pages of this thread and when I was done my brain hurt and I finally went from long-time lurker to first-time poster.
gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #170
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I have asked for a June UY contract. My travel time would be July, Aug, October and December (plus the occasional 1st week of Jan). Besides June, what other UYs would work for me? I am on the VGC waitlist.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #171
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I have asked for a June UY contract. My travel time would be July, Aug, October and December (plus the occasional 1st week of Jan). Besides June, what other UYs would work for me? I am on the VGC waitlist.
A June UY is great for vacations between June - January which it the 8 month banking period should you ever need to cancel a vacation. Vacations in February - May if canceled have to have the points used before the end of May or you lose them.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #172
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
A June UY is great for vacations between June - January which it the 8 month banking period should you ever need to cancel a vacation. Vacations in February - May if canceled have to have the points used before the end of May or you lose them.

Bill
Thank you! I will stick with June then.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #173
emilymad
DIS Veteran

I currently have a December UY. I am looking to add on but not yet sure where or how many points. I seem to change my mind 15 times a day! I had been looking at contracts only with a December UY. In another thread it was pointed out to me that having a second UY can greatly increase your flexibility. Is my thinking correct that if I look for a June UY that between that and my December UY I would have the whole year covered?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #174
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymad View Post
Is my thinking correct that if I look for a June UY that between that and my December UY I would have the whole year covered?
it would cover the whole year, provided you are using june UY pts for stays in oct and nov...and using dec UY pts for stays in april and may. if you need to use pts from both contracts, it lessens the benefit.

owning 2 UYs makes it a little more complicated to keep up with. not a big deal but if you take your eye off the ball, it's a little easier to forget to bank or something and lose pts.

also, you cannot combine june UY pts and dec UY pts to book a single night's stay, so you'd need to book 3 nights with one contract and 4 with the other and ask MS to link the reservations (or else transfer pts from one contract to the other.)

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #175
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I think I could keep it all straight. I had forgotten about not using the points from each UY on the same night. That is good to keep in mind.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #176
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

Thank you.. I am going to print this out as well this answered alot of questions for me..
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #177
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

My DH and I are planning to buy BCV points with an Oct UY we usually travel Oct-Jan maybe a few times in the spring or summer. Is Oct a good UY for us? We will probably bank and borrow depending on what size rooms we get.
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #178
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Great info about having two different use years. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #179
MousekeTom
Earning My Ears

MousekeTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #180
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Wow, that's so helpful! I actually saved a copy of that image, lol! Makes it very clear!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: