Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

Square Foot Gardening

Does anyone do sfg? Looking for your bed photos and any tips.......
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I'd be interested in this too!
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Yes! I have totally bought into SFG and have since become a certified teacher.

My full time job is to fight poverty, and I'm doing so by alleviating hunger, one square foot at a time

I wish I could upload.. I have them on my phone but not on a photo share sight at the moment. They are absolutely flourishing. And literally 0 work. Haven't had a single weed since our first planting in December I had more kale and spinach this winter than I knew what to do with! Even giving it away to friend, I was harvesting twice a week.. And that was only 2 squares of each! Radishes and turnips do great, currently working on peppers, squash, and tomato. The vertical grow method works beautifully.

PM me if you're interested in learning more. I also have a YouTube of us constructing and installing a community SFG. I'd be glad to share.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
urbanfarmer
Earning My Ears

I've been trying to find an app for gardening the square foot method for a while now and I think I might have found something pretty useful. Smartgardener.com just came out with a new "add on" to its online application that lets you map out your garden with suggested square foot spacings and even has cool little structures for trellises, cages and other types of support.

It's also a plus that the website generates personalized reminders of my garden tasks and has a huge database of all the growing info I would ever want about the plants I'm growing right down to the variety level. I'm going to give this a try this summer and then reply back with my experience with it and I'd like to hear some feedback from others about this app and other apps that are useful for growing a lot of food quickly in small spaces.

Hope that helps and hopefully more feedback too!

Can't wait to trellis my Pumpkins and Melons and hang them in their slings! And I'm also doing rainbow mix carrots, finocchio, Siberian Tomatoes (they easily produce fruit in my cooler summer here in SF, unlike many other types), Strawberries, and surrounding my square foot plot with perennial herbs (lavender, rosemary, thyme, mint, winter savory, french tarragon, fennel, Lemon Balm, Mexican Tarragon and more) to keep the pests down, and the space fresh!
urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: