Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #61
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
So I posted this ? in the main disdads thread but thought it might get answered better here.

We are heading to Southern California for 7 days in December. Initially the plan was to spend 4 days at Disneyland and 3 days exploring San Diego and LA. We've been reading through a couple different travel books and are starting to question our logic. It looks like we have 3 options. Which would you pick and why? (all the options are within about $100 per person) Flights are already booked using FF miles so we can't extend the trip.

Option 1. Keep the original plan 3 days primarily in San Diego and 4 days at Disneyland. (We might add the ZOO in this plan)

Option 2. Buy a CitiPass. Spend 1/2 at Universal Hollywood, 1 day at the San Diego Zoo, 1 day at Sea World and 3 days at Disneyland. This would only give us a day and a half to go to the beach and explore San Diego and LA.

Option 3. 4 Days at Disneyland 1 or 2 days at Legoland/The legoland waterpark. This again would really limit the amount of time we have to explore San Diego and LA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Okay, first let me say Congrats! You are going to have an amazing time no matter what you pick.

One thing you didn't mention was whether this was your 1st trip to DL. There are a couple of factors you have to consider before you decide how many Disney Days, etc.
  • When in December will you be there? If you are going during the actual holiday break days, the crowds are going to make you need more days to see the park.
  • Are your kids fairly young? Legoland was nice, but definitely just for the young est crowd IMO. Personally, I would pick Sea World over Legoland merely for their Christmas shows they have. We went to SW at Thanksgiving and absolutely LOVED the Christmas show. Felt like Candlelight Processional at WDW minus the candles and add big whales!
  • Keep in mind this year will be a little more crazy with Carsland, etc... more to see and do

With that said, I am actually in a similar situation with you. We will be there Thanksgiving week. What I have done is purchased the CityPass that you mentioned (DL just raised their ticket prices a big chunk, but I just bought my CP's at old rate, saving me even more $$). Then, we plan on adding one day to our 3-day park hopper while we are there.

This works for us because we really wanted to see the Chrismtas show at SW and we haven't been to Universal in 15+ years... perfect fit for us. Whether SW, Universal are better fo ryou than Zoo/Lego only you can say... but I definitely would try to keep it at 4 Disney days ... that's just my opinion.

BTW... just to forewarn you, the water can get pretty chilly (or maybe I'm just a wimp) in December at the beach. Not sure this trip would be the one to go to the beach

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #62
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
I wanted to echo some of these thoughts. I was a little skeptical about DL, myself ("It's so small... look at the teeny, tiny castle..."), but having just returned, I am a convert..
Welcome Aboard!

I really enjoyed your insight, and I agree ride for ride... with one addition (not a correction, but more of a "you might change your mind")... The Haunted Mansion during the holidays after its overlay is just so amazing it definitely puts over WDW version for me. Even though I HAVE to go holiday season to see it, it's just hard not to think about it when I am reminiscing about both rides

And I couldn't agree more about GC. We only wished we had jumped on the bandwagon and bought DVC points there. It's brutal for us to get a room there on our points

We really do love all things Disney.. WDW, DL, DCL. But I think DL will always be home

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #63
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Cristopher, all I can say is Wow!! I thought I was a "Disney addict". You definitely take the top of the class

Thanks for the incredible journey into the joy of Disneyland. After 5 years of being on loan to WDW, we are headed back to DL In November to renew our relationship with an old friend. I am absolutely giddy to be coming back. So much has changed. We can't wait to see all the changes, TSMM, Carsland, World of Color, Ariel. Can't wait to eat in the new restaurant at Carthay Circle (and I won't have to book 180 days out!). Can't wait to stay for our very first time, in the newly renovated DLH... and spend a couple days in our fav, GCV!!

Thanks for bringing back to me so many great memories, your hard workd is greatly appreciated

Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #64
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

This morning DW gave me a research assignment: start scouting partner hotels for Celebration VII. Looks like I'll be crossing two items off the bucket list in 2015.
When we go the kiddos will be 6.5. I'm wondering how many days we'll need and if park hoppers are worth it.

I'd also like to know how close to DLR and the CC the hotels are and how nice they are. The hotels still on the list are:
Sand Castle Inn & Suits
Desert Palms Hotel & Suits
Red Lion Anaheim
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort

Thanks
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #65
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

Wow Christopher, awesome information, thanks for putting all of this together. We have not been to DL since 2011. I changed jobs so a trip in 2012 was not in order and this year we went to WDW as I had airlines miles saved up. WDW was fantastic, but we are absolutely tickled to be returning to our favorite place on earth in April 2014. Our DD will turn 14 while in DL, she is super jazzed about this. Any ideas on something unique and different to do on her birthday? Every single trip we have made has been a special experience for us, and we know this one will be also. We are really looking forward to the changes at DLH and to see Cars Land. Hurry up spring break!

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #66
tralin
Mouseketeer

Ok, so here I am all depressed because we don't have the money for a WDW trip. We promised DD5 a Disney trip when she is 6 (October) so we have resigned ourselves to a DL vacation the first week of December 2014. We are from Vancouver Canada so it really does make much more sense. Then I found this post and I have to say, you have me SO excited for this trip. DD really won't care and things like Toon Town and Carsland will make much more of an impact at age 6 anyway. Thank you for the incredible information and especially for getting us all excited again.
tralin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #67
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralin View Post
Ok, so here I am all depressed because we don't have the money for a WDW trip. We promised DD5 a Disney trip when she is 6 (October) so we have resigned ourselves to a DL vacation the first week of December 2014. We are from Vancouver Canada so it really does make much more sense. Then I found this post and I have to say, you have me SO excited for this trip. DD really won't care and things like Toon Town and Carsland will make much more of an impact at age 6 anyway. Thank you for the incredible information and especially for getting us all excited again.
I'm so happy this could help! I hope you have a fantastic trip!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: