Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #46
booger73
Stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
Oh wow! Is this on the DVC website? They didn't offer it before I think.
Not on DVC website.. I had to call in to member services and ask directly... but they do have it (as of Monday)!
We have been: AKV 8/08, BLT 12/09, BWV (8/06 8/07 8/09 6/10 7/12), Grand Calif 6/07, SSR 12/06, VGF 12/13 DCL Wonder (8/08 8/09 6/10 and Alaska 7/11), DCL Magic (Eastern 1/11 and 12d Med 6/13), DCL Dream 5d 6/12
Upcoming: DCL Magic 11d Norway/Iceland 6/15

booger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger73 View Post
So in my mind, 600 more in price, and losing 150 for gratuties
I"m not sure how much the Venice and Dubrovnik tours "cost" but seems like a lot in difference
Great analysis. I did basically the same thing for the Alaska ABD Add-on. Similar to what you are finding, for Alaska they had eliminated items from the itinerary--including the most expensive and highlight of most people's experiences the helicopter and dog sled priced at $699 if you did it without ABD--and kept the price the same! They also seemed to have taken Palo off the itinerary as well. I wrote a letter outlining my concerns, and to their credit they did reduce the price a couple hundred dollars, but not having the dog sledding was a deal breaker for me.

To my mind this has become a disappointing trend with Disney: start a great product and then year by year reduce the benefits until people start to complain. What's the moral of the story? Do something the first time it's offered, LOL!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #48
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I have been thinking about the add on's since they were announced and I have to tell you I am not loving ABD at the moment.

On my MED cruise in 2011 I did all DCL excursions, I did some of the most expensive ones they had and it cost me roughly $1200. The DCL excursions to the Vatican and the Collesium skipped the lines as well so that isn't' a great selling point for me with ABD. There are 4 sea days and with the exception of an animation class there are no ABD activities scheduled so you are breaking it down to 8 days, not 12, your meals and room are covered by the cruise fare, Palo has been removed.

The other issue I have is I don't want to do the same things I did on my previous Med cruise and there are no alternatives, so my choices for Rome would be stay on the ship (not happening) go see everything I saw the last cruise, or book a excursion on my own, I wouldn't mind but then I am paying for things I won 't use.

Looking at everything I don't think the ABD MED add on is a good thing and I won't be booking it.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #49
booger73
Stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

Tozzie:

Which Rome DCL excursion did you do if I may ask (in 2011)
How many people were in the group?
How long was the wait?
How was booking it (we'll be Gold (7th cruise)?

I keep waffling back and forth whether or not I'll book the ABD..
Just haven't heard enough one way or another to push me..
Although $13000 (four of us) vs.. possibly 7000-8000 (dcl booked) is the biggie

I think.. if I can just book decent enough DCL excursions and not have too much to 'worry about', I think I'm going to be ok with that..
We have been: AKV 8/08, BLT 12/09, BWV (8/06 8/07 8/09 6/10 7/12), Grand Calif 6/07, SSR 12/06, VGF 12/13 DCL Wonder (8/08 8/09 6/10 and Alaska 7/11), DCL Magic (Eastern 1/11 and 12d Med 6/13), DCL Dream 5d 6/12
Upcoming: DCL Magic 11d Norway/Iceland 6/15

booger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #50
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger73 View Post
Tozzie:

Which Rome DCL excursion did you do if I may ask (in 2011)
How many people were in the group?
How long was the wait?
How was booking it (we'll be Gold (7th cruise)?

I keep waffling back and forth whether or not I'll book the ABD..
Just haven't heard enough one way or another to push me..
Although $13000 (four of us) vs.. possibly 7000-8000 (dcl booked) is the biggie

I think.. if I can just book decent enough DCL excursions and not have too much to 'worry about', I think I'm going to be ok with that..
I did the excursion that included The Vatican, Collesium, Trevi Fountain, and lunch in a very nice Hotel in Rome. We really didn't wait at all, we had a private tour guide and she took us all around. the only issue and this would be an issue with ABD as well is how crowded it was.

I am only silver and i booked it when bookings open, I don't think you would have any problem, there was something like 12 DCL busses for the tour and some did the Vatican first, some the collesium.

I did book the Adult only Departure and there were maybe 40 people on it, however, each bus is a seprate tour with their own tour guide so you won't have to worry about there being 100 people on the tour with you.

I have been on 3 ABD trips, and I love my trips but I don't think they are worth it on the cruise. While while the tour is not ADB it is through DCL so it has the Disney Name behind it.

I didn't book the Med add on last year because I wanted to do different excursions than DCL was doing, after I returned home and thought about it I realized the tours were on par with ABD. Of course there are little added touches with ABD but there wasn't a noticible difference, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by Tozzie; 04-28-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
disneynme
Mouseketeer

I am paying close attention to everyone's input. I am also having a hard time with the price of ABD. The whole reason we booked the Med cruise in the first place is because we really wanted to go to Europe and had started to look at Knights and Lights and could not deal with the hefty price. When I saw that DCL would to a Med cruise and that I could book for all three of us for $3600, I signed up. Now if we add on the ABD, we're looking at close to the price of K&L.

I think we'll be doing some of our own ports (Monaco, Villefranche, and possibly Tower of Pisa) and some DCL excursions in other ports (Rome, Naples) and I think we'll come out way ahead.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #52
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I did the excursion that included The Vatican, Collesium, Trevi Fountain, and lunch in a very nice Hotel in Rome. We really didn't wait at all, we had a private tour guide and she took us all around. the only issue and this would be an issue with ABD as well is how crowded it was.

I am only silver and i booked it when bookings open, I don't think you would have any problem, there was something like 12 DCL busses for the tour and some did the Vatican first, some the collesium.

I did book the Adult only Departure and there were maybe 40 people on it, however, each bus is a seprate tour with their own tour guide so you won't have to worry about there being 100 people on the tour with you.

I have been on 3 ABD trips, and I love my trips but I don't think they are worth it on the cruise. While while the tour is not ADB it is through DCL so it has the Disney Name behind it.

I didn't book the Med add on last year because I wanted to do different excursions than DCL was doing, after I returned home and thought about it I realized the tours were on par with ABD. Of course there are little added touches with ABD but there wasn't a noticible difference, at least in my opinion.
Your reasons are the same reasons why we'll not be doing the ABD add on. The clincher was the 4 days at sea with no ABD activities. If anything, this ABD tour should be only slightly higher than the excursions. I can under an expensive ABD tour because hotels and food cost money and the hotels they pick cost a lot of money but we're already paying for food and lodging and paying twice as much for the Med cruise as last year and the ABD is still so expensive?

I looked at the add on last year but they didn't do Pompeii and that was the one place I really wanted to go to .... so that was a head scratcher too.

It's too bad. I really do like the little ABD touches and the comraderie...but not at that cost.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #53
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Your reasons are the same reasons why we'll not be doing the ABD add on. The clincher was the 4 days at sea with no ABD activities. If anything, this ABD tour should be only slightly higher than the excursions. I can under an expensive ABD tour because hotels and food cost money and the hotels they pick cost a lot of money but we're already paying for food and lodging and paying twice as much for the Med cruise as last year and the ABD is still so expensive?

I looked at the add on last year but they didn't do Pompeii and that was the one place I really wanted to go to .... so that was a head scratcher too.

It's too bad. I really do like the little ABD touches and the comraderie...but not at that cost.
Boy, am I glad I did the ABD add-on the first year they had it, at $2399 for 11 nights. That year it was worth it, cost-wise. Like you, I'm surprised at the price, at the lack of Sea Day activities, the removal of the Palo night, etc. It's too bad, because it was a wonderful way to do a cruise. (Although the fact that we didn't do Pompeii was my one regret. But the day in Sorrento & Capri *was* wonderful.)

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 04-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #54
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

That price is way to rich for us because of the sea days and because I can do a full ABD adventure in great hotels for that price. The package does not justify the $$.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #55
queenmother
Earning My Ears

iDid I read the Pre-Stay cost correctly?
3-Night Pre-Stay Barcelona

Adult - $1899.00 per person

Child - $1799.00 per person (Ages 4-11 but recommend children 6 and older)

So my Family of 4 with 12 and 14 year old would cost $7,596 for the three night stay? Does that seem outrageous??
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #56
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmother View Post
iDid I read the Pre-Stay cost correctly?
3-Night Pre-Stay Barcelona

Adult - $1899.00 per person

Child - $1799.00 per person (Ages 4-11 but recommend children 6 and older)

So my Family of 4 with 12 and 14 year old would cost $7,596 for the three night stay? Does that seem outrageous??
Yes and what really boggled my mind is the 4 night add on is $1000 more, for a total of $2899 for 4 nights
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #57
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
Yes and what really boggled my mind is the 4 night add on is $1000 more, for a total of $2899 for 4 nights
Wow, that just seems crazy high!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: