Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Question Reviews--Holiday Inn Express Nearest Universal

Has anyone stayed at this HIE? It is right across from Universal. I want to book it ASAP for 2 nights before we check into HRH.

We check in late one evening and will spend one full day with Orlando friends while at the HIE and then check into HRH to go to the parks.

They say they have one floor out of ten that is smoking. I can't be anywhere near smoke due to severe asthma. I'm a little concerned about that, but hope getting a nonsmoking room won't be an issue.

I'd appreciate ANY feedback you have.

THANKS!
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

We stayed there in 2008 the night before we left as a place to sleep before heading home. It was definitely not the RPR (where we had just left lol) but it wasn't bad. Just a place to sleep before heading home. Make sure you call the hotel directly and voice your concerns on receiving a room as far away from the smoking ones.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Tizzy_Meliss
No longer an HHN virgin. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Has anyone stayed at this HIE? It is right across from Universal. I want to book it ASAP for 2 nights before we check into HRH.

We check in late one evening and will spend one full day with Orlando friends while at the HIE and then check into HRH to go to the parks.

They say they have one floor out of ten that is smoking. I can't be anywhere near smoke due to severe asthma. I'm a little concerned about that, but hope getting a nonsmoking room won't be an issue.

THANKS!
We stayed there before ... just make sure it's the one with Blues Brothers in the lobby. The rooms are small and the bathrooms have those slider doors instead of real doors. The hotel was very clean, they had free breakfast items that included eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. I didn't eat them so I can't attest to how good it was. I'd stay again. They even have a shuttle to the park.

As to your Asthma issue, I would make sure to call and speak to the hotel directly and let them know how sick you can get if not in a non smoking room or exposed to smokers. This way they can make sure you will be in a non smoking room.
Tizzy_Meliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post

THANKS!
It isn't a Holiday Inn Express that is right across from the Universal Studios complex....it is a Holiday Inn and Suites Maingate to Universal Orlando. Make sure you don't book the Holiday Inn Express if you want to be within walking distance. It is further down Major Blvd.

We have stayed at the HIE. The hotel is nice but not within walking distance.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
It isn't a Holiday Inn Express that is right across from the Universal Studios complex....it is a Holiday Inn and Suites Maingate to Universal Orlando. Make sure you don't book the Holiday Inn Express if you want to be within walking distance. It is further down Major Blvd.

We have stayed at the HIE. The hotel is nice but not within walking distance.
Um, ok now I'm not sure which it was we stayed at lol. Just know it was a Holiday Inn since that's where hubby gets his points from....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

In-laws stayed here summer 2011 as they did not feel they needed FOTL staying at RPR with the rest of us.

We checked in for the last night as we were not going to a park because of our flight times.

it was a very good appointed room and plenty of space.

Breakfast offered a variety of items. I think hot was sausages and scrambled eggs

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Dynostan
I had kids just for a reason to go to Disney

I travel a lot and stay around that area. I stayed there last week. The rooms are small compared to other Holiday Inn Express Hotels. If you can get the Holiday Inn Suites down the street I prefer it. This one is newer though. No desk for woking. Room was clean, and it was inexpensive. If you plan on walking to universal it's a good distance. One good thing lots of restaurants within walking distance.

The Double tree is close by and is nice too. You can usually get it for about $99 a night.

Hope this helps.

Dynostan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: