Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

school question

Figured I'd ask you all since there are so many people with so many various situations and someone might know this:

Does anyone know where I could find out the rules or laws regarding what services a public school system has to provide (or not) for a child who voluntarily leaves the school system to attend a religious school? I know that when my son goes off to 7th grade and we change schools I know that they will not be able to provide some of the services he'll need (vision, eventually hearing and possibly speech) He currently has a few adaptive tools in his classroom which technically are his, no one else can use them, but I'm wondering what the rules are once he leaves the system.

(and no, I'm not looking for a free ride or anything, just wondering how we transition...and yes, if I have to, I'll go and buy the things myself...and no, seems Insurance won't cover anything since they say the school already does)
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
clm10308
DIS Veteran

In Texas, public schools do not have to provide any specific services to students in private schools. I don't remember the details, but districts are required to spend a set amount of money on private school sped Ed students but can decide how to spend it. In my district, the only services that were provided to private school students were for speech only.

I know for a fact that no VI or AI services were provided. (I was a VI teacher), and VI adaptive equipment had to be returned when the student left the public school. Most public schools get the VI equipment through what is called Quota Funds, and the materials/equipment is loaned to the district/student be is still the property of the state.
You may want to check to see if your local Commission for the blind (DARS in Texas) will provide any of the needed equipment for private school.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
buffettgirl

Thanks for such a detailed answer (and for the lead on where to turn.)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Your child will still be covered by ADA 2009 so accomidations due to the disabilites are still required, but not specific services.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I believe that it is the school in which he is enrolled who is responsible for his services. If he's attending private school then the private school would be responsible for those services. That being said, what bookwormde said is true that accomodations due to the disability are what is required and not specific services.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
buffettgirl

Thanks - both of you.

I'm trying to get ducks in a row because I don't want surprises later. I'd rather make whatever department aware of what our situations are now, at his current level (even though, all things considering, it's still pretty good) because it's only going to progress and there may be additional issues that crop up. I'm trying not to get stuck in the mode of 1) ignoring the inevitable and 2) waiting until the last minute and realizing too late that he needs xyz in the classroom.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I believe this varies a great deal state to state. I know I live right on a state line (teach on one side, live/send my kid to school on the other) and the laws are different.

Are you willing to share the name of your state?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
buffettgirl

We're in Mass.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
autgirl
Earning My Ears

Did some quick research and found some info that looks promising...looks like Mass has some better sped laws than PA! Found an entire page of info regarding sped in private schools.

http://www.doe.mass.edu/sped/advisories/07_2.html
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
buffettgirl

oh thank you for that!!!!!!!!!!!!
He will be in the same district and so it seems that they could provide services in a public school (like if he needed speech therapy..) but then also could provide things in the classroom (like visual aids, ipads etc) if they used the federal money for that. I'm going to have to call and find out.

right now he doesn't have an IEP only has needed a 504 since none of his issues were educational in nature.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: