Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

im sure i read ages ago a mode they were experimenting with that had limited motion so maybe thats C
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
im sure i read ages ago a mode they were experimenting with that had limited motion so maybe thats C
There was a lot of talk about them fixing and/or coming up with a limited motion mode, around the same time that they appeared to be doing some work around the yeti. But either it was all talk, or it failed.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
emkrueger
Earning My Ears

I am holding on to hope that Disney is waiting, for crowd control purposes, until AvatarLand opens to fix the Yeti since it would likely require a major EE refurb (closing).
emkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineasfan100 View Post
I've heard of A and B mode... What is C mode?
C Mode = "Crap Mode". As in, they have a piece of crap worth millions sitting dormant with no fix in site...

I remember when the ride first came out the yeti was easily the most realistic AA I've seen. It was fantastic... too bad its just a statue in a dark cave now.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
MissionDisney
Earning My Ears

Hmm, I was just on that ride last week, and I saw it. I think you just missed it. :P
MissionDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
KyleJake
Simba 1 Driver

Disney out did themselves with Betti... Literally. They spent a ton of money creating the technology then built a mountain around it so no one could ever replace it. And on top of that, they made the mountain, coaster, and yeti 3 different structures so if they touch.... Bamo! No more Expedition Everest
KyleJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJake View Post
Disney out did themselves with Betti... Literally. They spent a ton of money creating the technology then built a mountain around it so no one could ever replace it. And on top of that, they made the mountain, coaster, and yeti 3 different structures so if they touch.... Bamo! No more Expedition Everest
I believe there have been/ will be longstanding effects on the parks because of the failure of Everest.

Disney...does not "fix" things that are built/ go wrong anymore...unless there is a severe political or business hit to be suffered (as in California Adventure or Hong Kong Disneyland)...they simply ignore the problems by and large and then use the wasted money as a reason to NOT reinvest.

And everest is the poster child for that. Many customers give it a pass simply because it is a roller coaster (a moderately exciting one at that) and provides a quick decent thrill.

But that can be bought for about 20 million and is located in almost every Six Flags...its a generic ride in most ways.

The problem is with all those 21 day, 38 member treks to nepal and 8800 reproduced pieces of stuff in the line so people could not focus their eyes on it as they run past at park opening that goofy Joe Rhode HAD to have...the thing became a piece of modern art instead of what it should be...an endeavor that is more engineering than art.

So the 100 million - which by disney standards means probably about 130 million - is a real stinger. cause it just is a reminder of how they can get by with cheap junk...parades...pin carts...clones...and repurposing old spaces and get the same crowds as if they try to do something new and make more/lose less money.

And ironically...not much has been attempted at WDW since. A clone from california...a shooter that - while well done - cost too much and will probably lose appeal very quickly...and a new giftshop land over in MK...

I personally think that its not a coincidence
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
KyleJake
Simba 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I believe there have been/ will be longstanding effects on the parks because of the failure of Everest.

Disney...does not "fix" things that are built/ go wrong anymore...unless there is a severe political or business hit to be suffered (as in California Adventure or Hong Kong Disneyland)...they simply ignore the problems by and large and then use the wasted money as a reason to NOT reinvest.
I know that Rhode wanted the thing fixed the moment it went down, but it wasn't up to him. Its a rumor, but it came from a manager, but I heard that the technology is not there. They build the ride, but not the program to fix it. idk. But anyway I know that Rhode is pretty upset about it. Another rumor is that he almost left over it. But CMs have lots of rumors.
KyleJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disappeared, expedition everest, missing, wdw, yeti

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: