Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #1306
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Not only will Disney lose this one...
I think we may see a limited expansion of gambling in Florida this legislative session but nothing like you're predicting. The people of Florida (north of Miami-Dade/Broward) have said time and time again that we don't want it. Politicians who push something through that we don't want will not get reelected.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #1307
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
I think we may see a limited expansion of gambling in Florida this legislative session but nothing like you're predicting. The people of Florida (north of Miami-Dade/Broward) have said time and time again that we don't want it. Politicians who push something through that we don't want will not get reelected.

BobK/Orlando
more revenue and less property tax/budget shortfalls lead to re-elections as well....

but your point is taken...its a catch 22 scenario for pols.

I keep going back to pa...mostly because i grew up there and live 5 minutes away....but also because of the long-standing political and economic conditions...

its difficult to "partially legalize" gambling...once people taste the money - both politicians and the people on the street - its difficult to keep under a box
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1308
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

For those of you who are fans of the old Pleasure Island dance club 8TRAX, there is going to be an "8TRAX Reunion" event on the nights of Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th at a new place called Retro Room on US 192. The music will be 70's Disco and 80's Classics like they used to play at 8TRAX and DJ Pete Haynes who used to spin at 8TRAX will be the DJ. YMCA at midnight. Wear your bell-bottoms & platforms! Should be a fun event! That's the NBA All-Star game weekend so the Orlando metro will be packed. Details at: http://www.retroroombar.com

BobK/Orlando
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #1309
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For those of you who are fans of the old Pleasure Island dance club 8TRAX, there is going to be an "8TRAX Reunion" event on the nights of Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th at a new place called Retro Room on US 192. The music will be 70's Disco and 80's Classics like they used to play at 8TRAX and DJ Pete Haynes who used to spin at 8TRAX will be the DJ. YMCA at midnight.
A reminder about this event for 8TRAX fans.
Also, reporting a fresh rumor that the Adventurers Club building is to be demolished in March! I read that elsewhere on the internet but don't know it to be true.

BobK/Orlando
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1310
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
A reminder about this event for 8TRAX fans.
Also, reporting a fresh rumor that the Adventurers Club building is to be demolished in March! I read that elsewhere on the internet but don't know it to be true.

BobK/Orlando
So tell me, Bob, do you feel at this point, with all that has happened over the last few years, that there is no longer any hope for PI returning at all?
And what do you make of the canceling of Hyperion Pier?
Do you think Disney is doing nothing out there because the new Magic Kingdom stuff is going on?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #1311
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
For those of you who are fans of the old Pleasure Island dance club 8TRAX, there is going to be an "8TRAX Reunion" event on the nights of Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th at a new place called Retro Room on US 192. The music will be 70's Disco and 80's Classics like they used to play at 8TRAX and DJ Pete Haynes who used to spin at 8TRAX will be the DJ. YMCA at midnight. Wear your bell-bottoms & platforms! Should be a fun event! That's the NBA All-Star game weekend so the Orlando metro will be packed. Details at: http://www.retroroombar.com

BobK/Orlando

Back in town early, so I get to go to this. So excited!
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #1312
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post
So tell me, Bob, do you feel at this point, with all that has happened over the last few years, that there is no longer any hope for PI returning at all?
And what do you make of the canceling of Hyperion Pier?
Do you think Disney is doing nothing out there because the new Magic Kingdom stuff is going on?
I miss the night life of PI like you wouldn't believe. Was quite miffed when a coworker told me the clubs and the drink carts and street side entertainment were closing. Held out a little bit of hope that some of that might have returned with this Hyperion project. I was starting to think that I might be able to go out for a few drinks and be sociable without taking a bus to a park and then another to the Boardwalk and then taking a cab back to my resort. Now it seems the whole process has ground to a halt.

Hyperion Wharf...? More like Hypocrite Wharf
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #1313
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
I miss the night life of PI like you wouldn't believe. Was quite miffed when a coworker told me the clubs and the drink carts and street side entertainment were closing. Held out a little bit of hope that some of that might have returned with this Hyperion project. I was starting to think that I might be able to go out for a few drinks and be sociable without taking a bus to a park and then another to the Boardwalk and then taking a cab back to my resort. Now it seems the whole process has ground to a halt.
Hyperion Wharf...? More like Hypocrite Wharf
Or Hyperion Whiff: http://www.savepleasureisland.blogsp...-canceled.html

BobK/Orlando
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #1314
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Too similar to Boardwalk? I think the real problem was it was too hard to sell on Disney's terms. The same problem will persist no matter what theme they use. Expect a blank spot on the DTD map for some time to come...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1315
super mike b
DIS Veteran

I really hope that they hurry up and do something. We really miss PI. It was always a fun part of our Disney trips.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1316
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Someone told me that even Splitsville is off the board. (I didn't keep up with that news anyway as it held no interest for us.)

Someone mentioned it was in the news the financing fell through. And this was awhile back.

Splitsville wasn't even a part of PI, so not really PI relevant anyway. Although they seemed to want to make it sound as though it was part of the new/improved DTD, thanks to PI leaving (years ago).
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1317
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
Someone told me that even Splitsville is off the board. (I didn't keep up with that news anyway as it held no interest for us.)

Someone mentioned it was in the news the financing fell through. And this was awhile back.

Splitsville wasn't even a part of PI, so not really PI relevant anyway. Although they seemed to want to make it sound as though it was part of the new/improved DTD, thanks to PI leaving (years ago).
I haven't even seen rumors of this yet...and it's still listed on their web site.

But has work started on it yet? In the Disney tradition, until it opens, it didn't happen...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #1318
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I haven't even seen rumors of this yet...and it's still listed on their web site.

But has work started on it yet? In the Disney tradition, until it opens, it didn't happen...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that work's begun. But who knows.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1319
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that work's begun. But who knows.
I found some pics on Bob's SavePleasureIsland blog, so it appears there are at least walls up, and signs about it
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1320
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I found some pics on Bob's SavePleasureIsland blog, so it appears there are at least walls up, and signs about it
Does it resemble this:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: