Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #136
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post

Ok guys, I know I've been slacking a bit. I promise I will get back on track here and I will have a really fun installment for you tomorrow morning or afternoon!!
Don't worry about us. We'll wait for you.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #137
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Quote:
Ok guys, I know I've been slacking a bit. I promise I will get back on track here and I will have a really fun installment for you tomorrow morning or afternoon!!

you call it slacking after less then a week from an update.. crud dont wanna know what your calling me then. Think i last updated a month ago... im keeping you all in suspense ya thats it! lol
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #138
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
you call it slacking after less then a week from an update.. crud dont wanna know what your calling me then. Think i last updated a month ago... im keeping you all in suspense ya thats it! lol
No, you really don't wanna know.....

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #139
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
No, you really don't wanna know.....
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #140
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Don't worry about us. We'll wait for you.

I am so in with that smilie!!!
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #141
sperkins921
Why's the Rum always gone???

I'm really enjoying this trip report! I'm itching to see where you go in port.

I love that you did this report b/c for the past year I've been tossing the idea of the Dream then the Allure/Oasis and back to the dream around. I see things I like on both. And it's good to have someone who is honest when Ogre beats the Mouse, or where the Mouse truly rules.

That off site parking that you used for RCCL, is there one close to the DCL port? $15 a day is a hefty price- esp if you are paying to rent the car in the first place. I might have to just drop it off and use a taxi to get back to the ship...

Something else I'm liking is the sheer number of pools and hot tubs on this ship versus the Dream. I've seen pictures of the pools on the Dream that are to look at.

Thanks again for the report and I can't wait to read more!!

You guys say it's all about the mouse, I say it's all about the toy spaceman

Last edited by sperkins921; 10-13-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: subscribing
sperkins921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #142
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

...But Have You Ever Seen a Donkey Fly?

Once we were a bit settled in, we headed up to start having fun on deck! Allure of the Seas features some attractions- yes, attractions!- that you would have never imagined could have been on a cruise ship. The biggest mind-blower I think would have to be the Zip line. Yes, Allure (and Oasis) have a zip line for you to fly from aft to midship over 9 open decks!

A look from below up at the zip line:

While the line looks (and is) short, and the ride only lasts about 9 seconds- let me tell you it is more imposing than you would think. There are some restrictions. There is the usual height restriction (52"), and there also are weight restrictions. You have to weigh 75 pounds minimum and 275 maximum to go on the zipline. They do have a scale, and they will weigh you if they think you may be close to either end of the spectrum. You also have to be wearing shorts or pants and have socks/closed toe shoes. They do have some funky cloth and Velcro shoes you can wear if you did not bring your tennies. I used them, they are pretty comfortable and they have a large range of sizes. You have to also be 100% completely dry to go on the zip-line; they get a lot of folks straight from the pool that have to be turned away. As you might imagine there are waivers to be signed, the great thing is you do all of that online before you cruise, so all they do is scan your SeaPass card and all of the info pops up. So no more waiver lines! Yay!

We headed right to the zipline platform on Deck 15 aft. We were among the first zip-liners! When you first line up, they scan your SeaPass, then you go to get your harness. It is on the ground, you step in it and pull it up like a pair of pants, then the members of the staff will adjust and buckle it for you. (They aren’t all up in your business like they were on Independence putting on the Rock Wall harnesses if you know what I mean). Then you will get a helmet, and shoes if you need them. You can’t be wearing or carrying anything that could be considered loose: jewelry, stuff in your pocket, glasses*, etc.

*I have read on Cruise Critic that you cannot even wear prescription eyeglasses on the zipline. None of us wear glasses so I can’t comment on that for sure, but if you normally wear glasses and want to do the zipline, you might want to consider bringing some contacts with you.

A look at the loading platform from behind:

Ron and Brendan went first. Savannah did not weigh enough. She weighed in at 72 so we figured we’d let her eat a bit over the next couple of days and then try again.

Here goes Ron! (video- click picture to play)

Way to go, B!

I waited a little bit but finally decided to go for it:

A harness is not exactly the most attractive accessory

Here's my video. It is a bit long (about 1 minute) sorry about that!

(click picture to play)

Ok, for some reason I was pretty freaked out to try it at first. I had what we'll call a "minor incident" on the practice zip line in Labadee which basically resulted in me having to be yanked back up onto the platform after starting to go down the line when I wasn't supposed to be (Not my fault- I wasn't tethered in correctly). I lost a shoe and got a little shook up but was otherwise unscathed. (Right after that incident I had to be the FIRST person to go down the actual zipline- pretty skeery!) But even that didn't really freak me out like this did. Looking down 9 stories to hard steel and concrete and visualizing myself impaled on the carousel like a hot dog on a skewer...well...it was unsettling. The worst part though was after the ride, as I was getting unhooked, I was teetering so close to the edge of the landing platform.... I could totally sense how near the edge I was, at one point I even grabbed the padding which was on the plexiglass wall there, just to be holding something, and it ripped right off the wall! Somehow the guy got me safely unhooked and I managed to get off the platform OK. I began to think maybe I was just crazy and I wasn't really that close to plunging 9 decks to a gruesome death and that my eternal epitaph wouldn't really be on the Cruise Bruise site. Then Ron told me he noticed it too: if I had taken just one eensy weensy step back I would have been a goner.

Livin' on the edge:

But wait! There's more fun to come!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 10-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #143
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Operation Tourist Trap is a Go!

Once we got on the zipline, the line started to build up so we headed over to the Flowriders. This wave/surfing machine has been standard on RCCL ships since the Freedom came out in 2006. They have been extremely popular and are *the* ultimate place for people watching, especially if you are just a tad sadisitic like me and love watching the faceplant wipeouts!

Allure and sister ship Oasis both have not one, but TWO flowriders! Starboard is used exclusively for boogie boarding (52” height requirement), and Port side is used just for stand-up surfing (59” height requirement).

Waivers are required, and can be done online but wristbands are still utilized for the flowriders so because obviously it is wet there and Sea Pass scanners can’t be used. You will have to present and have your SeaPass card scanned at the desk where you will get a wristband. You can keep it on all week (like the boys did) or just get a temporary one (like Savannah and I did).

Lines were pretty reasonable at the Flowriders, so the boys and Savannah were anxious to Hang 10!

These shirts were awesome. I hope they made it!!

Ron does some stand-up surfing:

Brendan Boogie-Boards:

Sarah wasn't much into watching the wiper-outer's. She would have much preferred to run around like a maniac. I indulged her to a degree and she found the mini-golf course which she just loved!

It has a regular set of putt-putt holes and a tiny kiddie course too. Cute!!

Chip? Dale? Are you in there?

Time flew by and before you knew it, it was time for the muster/lifeboat drill. Or as many like to call it – the “mustard” drill.

We stopped back at the staterooms first to change into dry clothing and double check the interactive TV. It is pretty cool, you can do everything on there from checking your stateroom account, to seeing/making reservations, to even ordering room service!

On to mustard! Like Phil Collins in the 80’s: no jackets required, and there was no mustard either-just hundreds of us crammed tightly into our station: the On Air club.

Now the upside to muster on Allure and Oasis: no sardine-tallest-to-shortest, scrunch together in the lineup out in the 90 degree heat on the promenade deck. That much I liked.

The downside is the picture isn’t nearly as fun or interesting.

We had to crane our necks to watch the short video, and then we were dismissed. It was pretty painless. Until we hit the stairs.

Up Next: Team Alpha Super Awesome Cool Dynamite Wolf Squadron

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #144
princessnpirate
Mouseketeer

Looks like a great trip so far! Makes me want May to come How did you do the research for the cruise? I am having a hard time - was it just the cruise critic boards?
princessnpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #145
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Wow! I don't think I could have done the ZipLine. That would have been far too scary for me. I probably would have freaked if Dan and Morgan did it too!

The FlowRiders are cool though! I could watch people faceplant all day!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #146
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Are you sure you are on a cruise ship?

The zip line looks absolutely awesome! So glad you survived that! Anxious to hear if you were able to "beef up" Savannah so she could have a go at it.

Sheesh, you haven't even left port yet and I'm already pooped!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #147
sperkins921
Why's the Rum always gone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Are you sure you are on a cruise ship?

The zip line looks absolutely awesome! So glad you survived that! Anxious to hear if you were able to "beef up" Savannah so she could have a go at it.

Sheesh, you haven't even left port yet and I'm already pooped!
Me too! I'm gonna need a vacation from their first hours of vacation!

You guys say it's all about the mouse, I say it's all about the toy spaceman
sperkins921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #148
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Quote:
Once we were a bit settled in, we headed up to start having fun on deck! Allure of the Seas features some attractions- yes, attractions!- that you would have never imagined could have been on a cruise ship. The biggest mind-blower I think would have to be the Zip line. Yes, Allure (and Oasis) have a zip line for you to fly from aft to midship over 9 open decks!
boys just walked by and said omg thats AWESOME... now guess who wants to go on a RCCL big boat.. well obviously me but got the boys incahoots too.. well E is too just need to find that sugar daddy to pay for it lol

A look from below up at the zip line:

what is that curvy metal thing? lights?

As you might imagine there are waivers to be signed, the great thing is you do all of that online before you cruise, so all they do is scan your SeaPass card and all of the info pops up. So no more waiver lines! Yay!
What a nice system SCANNING and PREREGISTERING.. what a concept (hear that Freddy)

I waited a little bit but finally decided to go for it:
A harness is not exactly the most attractive accessory

I think you make it look hot, like OH YA BABY I DID THE ZIP LINE LOOK AT ME... kind of like that Laura chick from that game/movie that angelina jolie played.. but the harness is a gun.. you know what i mean..

I began to think maybe I was just crazy and I wasn't really that close to plunging 9 decks to a gruesome death and that my eternal epitaph wouldn't really be on the Cruise Bruise site. Then Ron told me he noticed it too: if I had taken just one eensy weensy step back I would have been a goner.
but your family would have owned the Allure..

But wait! There's more fun to come!
Yeah cant wait

Quote:
Once we got on the zipline, the line started to build up so we headed over to the Flowriders. This wave/surfing machine has been standard on RCCL ships since the Freedom came out in 2006. They have been extremely popular and are *the* ultimate place for people watching, especially if you are just a tad sadisitic like me and love watching the faceplant wipeouts!
totally Sadistic with you!

Waivers are required, and can be done online but wristbands are still utilized for the flowriders so because obviously it is wet there and Sea Pass scanners can’t be used. You will have to present and have your SeaPass card scanned at the desk where you will get a wristband. You can keep it on all week (like the boys did) or just get a temporary one (like Savannah and I did).
is the line long to get a temporary one each time?

Lines were pretty reasonable at the Flowriders, so the boys and Savannah were anxious to Hang 10!
YOU GO RON, great job, and tell B he did awesome!! I would have faceplanted

These shirts were awesome. I hope they made it!!

THAT IS TO DIE FOR!

Sarah wasn't much into watching the wiper-outer's. She would have much preferred to run around like a maniac. I indulged her to a degree and she found the mini-golf course which she just loved!
It has a regular set of putt-putt holes and a tiny kiddie course too. Cute!!
so do they have bigger balls for the kiddie cours?

Chip? Dale? Are you in there?
LOL have to get in a minimum of 10 Mickey references in order for this to be on the DIS.. its in the agreement.. I read it.. all 5739 pages LMAO

Time flew by and before you knew it, it was time for the muster/lifeboat drill. Or as many like to call it – the “mustard” drill.
ya its mustard in our house, we stopped trying to correct the boys

We stopped back at the staterooms first to change into dry clothing and double check the interactive TV. It is pretty cool, you can do everything on there from checking your stateroom account, to seeing/making reservations, to even ordering room service!
now that could be both cool and dangerous. Can you see your pics too or was that just on the kiosk things I cant rmeember what you said before

Up Next: Team Alpha Super Awesome Cool Dynamite Wolf Squadron
Is this an ancronym like military talk LOL (Whisky Tango Foxtrot?) lol
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #149
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile I "MADe A MISTAKE" -

.......foolish mortals!!

NEVER do some cooking at home -

THEN head out to the library

and

read your trip report!

WHY??

All THOSE PICS OF FOOD!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

My mouth is just a drooling....
WHHOOPS!!

I need a napkin.

Those pics look just FAB
(ESP BUBBA GUMPS)

Hmmmmmmm.......

I a just a gonna have to return the favor -

YA KNOW?

SO -----

be on the lookout for food pics in
my upcoming adventure into Hawaii -

the adventure begins in 300 hours.....

BUT WHO IS COUNTIN?

ANYWHO -

glad ya had fun

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #150
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

I am loving this trip report....can't wait for more!

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure, cruise, rccl, rci, shrek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: