Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Jen413
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Someone could have a PhD in quantum physics and still believe in Santa Claus. Being "smart enough" doesn't really matter here. The two things hit a very different part of your brain.

Personally, I'd like my kids to be smart enough to believe Mickey is real even when all evidence points against it.

Thanks! I was thinking the very same thing, but you put it into words perfectly.
Jen413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Jen413
Earning My Ears

MOST of you are really making me feel better. It does make it more complicated having girls so close in age. It isn't fair for little one to have to grow up two years earlier just because her big sisters accidentally figure it out in front of her. Thanks for the great ideas on how to handle it if it comes up...I will still hope that it doesn't though! I feel the exact same way about Christmas and Santa every year. So far, they are 100% believers, but I know that can't last either.
P.S As far as Mickey being in a costume, when my oldest girls were five (second trip) I remember them distinguishing between the "real Mickey" (who could talk on stage at castle shows) and "the other mickeys" (who were at the meals etc.) LOL!
Jen413 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
MOST of you are really making me feel better. It does make it more complicated having girls so close in age. It isn't fair for little one to have to grow up two years earlier just because her big sisters accidentally figure it out in front of her. Thanks for the great ideas on how to handle it if it comes up...I will still hope that it doesn't though! I feel the exact same way about Christmas and Santa every year. So far, they are 100% believers, but I know that can't last either.
P.S As far as Mickey being in a costume, when my oldest girls were five (second trip) I remember them distinguishing between the "real Mickey" (who could talk on stage at castle shows) and "the other mickeys" (who were at the meals etc.) LOL!
Probably better not to tell them Mickey's played by a woman and the Queen of Hearts is played by a man.......
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

Oh, I feel your pain! My DD was 7 on our last trip, and a bigger princess fan you've never seen. She knew (and was fine with) the non-face characters not being "real," but she absolutely believed in the princesses and Tink. I was so worried all school year that she would find out the truth! I knew it would happen eventually, but I just wanted one more year with that particular magic. Fortunately, it went off without a hitch, and I think that Disney does a good enough job with the face characters that most young kids won't notice that one Ariel is a little different from another.

Unfortunately for us, though, a friend told her that there wasn't really a Tooth Fairy. Now, she didn't really care about that (as long as she still got the cash), but then she put it together that No Tooth Fairy = Fairies not real = Mermaids not real = Princesses at Disney aren't real. I swear, she cried so much more than when she found out about Santa!

We're going in Dec., and now that DD is 11, she's so excited about getting to help spread the magic for her cousin who is 4. Plus, my family and I joke that the 4-year-old is her "beard" -- she's totally using her to get to do all the kid stuff she secretly wants to do but think she's too old for!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMommy View Post
she's totally using her to get to do all the kid stuff she secretly wants to do but think she's too old for!
And just what would be the problem with that?????

Tell her she's in good company.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #21
Finally08
DIS Veteran

My dd is 7 now. I am not sure exactly what her thoughts are on the characters except for a few. She is observant of faces and will tell you that people look different when she spots it...but it's like for every face character she has decided who is real and who is not. There is one very special CM that she met when he was "friends with Flynn" and in her little 7 year old heart he is the REAL DEAL. We met him in Nov last year then again in May this year...that sealed the deal for her. And even though he performs in other roles now, it doesn't matter...he is Flynn!
We just got back from an extremely special trip where she got to see "her Flynn" several times and got to spend more time with him in his current roles than she ever did when he really was "friends with Flynn." All you had to do was look at her face and see the magic in her eyes....I hope that's a little sparkle that never dies.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #22
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

maybe there's more truth to this observation than the adults think?

by the way,i see bill from p.a, is "drowning" his sorrows. not that
there's anything wrong with that. in reality, one might define
his method as an effective coping skill,

ever read "clothes make the man"? who's to say, when the person
puts on the mickey suit doesn't feels the spirit from his creator?

i have always felt liked the "audience" waiting to be impress by the
character inside ..just how good can you bring it ? i am also
impressed those behind the scenes that are passing each character's
idiosyncrasies to life.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
My dd is 7 now. I am not sure exactly what her thoughts are on the characters except for a few. She is observant of faces and will tell you that people look different when she spots it...but it's like for every face character she has decided who is real and who is not. There is one very special CM that she met when he was "friends with Flynn" and in her little 7 year old heart he is the REAL DEAL. We met him in Nov last year then again in May this year...that sealed the deal for her. And even though he performs in other roles now, it doesn't matter...he is Flynn!
We just got back from an extremely special trip where she got to see "her Flynn" several times and got to spend more time with him in his current roles than she ever did when he really was "friends with Flynn." All you had to do was look at her face and see the magic in her eyes....I hope that's a little sparkle that never dies.

Awww......

I'm glad you found some magic in all that rain!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #24
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Honestly, we never really gave the whole thing too much thought. We've always called them characters, whether they were princesses, or those in fully covered costumes.

We've never asked them if they thought they were real or not. Doesn't really matter to us. Even last year when my daughters were 8 and 6, I don't think they believed the chacters were real, but still love to interact with them. It is just part of the experience of Disney to see the characters from the movies in the parks. The kids still get autographs and have favorite characters, but I'm pretty sure they they never thought they were the "real" character. (if there were such a thing)

Dan
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, girls, magic, princess

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: