Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
BC1836
DIS Veteran

For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Welcome to the "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread, Part III [Walt Disney World drives!]

Part II of this thread opened on July 12, 2010 and closed on October 12, 2011 after 256 pages, 3,843 replies and 207,597 views.

Part I of this thread debuted on December 6, 2007 and closed on July 14, 2010 after 251 pages, 3,755 replies and 210,793 views.

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 11/27/12)

Most Total Drives: 53 (since '73): dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 27 (2003-2012): bc1836

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 4 (four times: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011): bc1836; (two times: 2009 & 2012): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09; 2012): cruisingkat; (12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 12 (2008-2012): bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 2,070 miles (2013): Shir Khan (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)

Second Longest Drive (one way): 1,953 miles (2011): peigirl (Stratford, Prince Edward Island, Canada)

All the best!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk

Last edited by BC1836; 01-20-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Yeah a new thread!!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Wanted to jump on board the new thread. I can't believe how fast it got to part III.

We'll be driving down April 4th or 5th. My father will be with us and probably doing most of the driving. He loves to drive and as a matter of fact he's driving to California by himself as I type and he's 84 years old.

We will probably take the 70-81-77-95 route.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
patkingpin
Mouseketeer

New Thread, new report on the drive!

Hey everyone! I am almost rested up from our 2,000+ mile drive that we returned from 2 days ago from Buffalo, NY to Disney! I was told before I left to get the mileage numbers to make the list and well, here they are...
Left Buffalo at 33,082 miles on the car
Arrived in Disney-Coronado Springs at 34,309 on the car which equals a one way journey of 1,227 miles!
left Disney at 34,379 miles on the car.
Arrived in Buffalo at 35,642 miles on the car which equals 1,263 miles on the way home. We did do some driving in Savannah on the way home so that is the difference there.
Grand total was 2,490 miles round trip!

Now onto the details. We took the 90-79-19-77-95-4 route and it was very nice both ways. We stayed in Hampton Inns along the way. Columbia, SC on the way down and then Richmond Hill, GA and Beckley, WV on the way back. The way down the second night we stayed with friends in Orange City, FL.
We left Friday morning 9/30 at 6am and arrived in Disney Sunday morning around 11am. The way home we left Disney around 11am Saturday morning and arrived back in Buffalo Monday night 10/10 around 5pm. We did stop in Savannah Saturday night and went into historic Savannah for a bit and then Sunday morning we returned and did a trolley tour before starting the drive to Beckley.

Traffic - Not bad at all on the way down. We encountered barely any traffic until Friday evening in Charlotte, NC. Rush hour crowds were still trying to get home I believe when we drove through around 6pm. Not bad though, but did slow us down. Construction wasn't an issue that day either. The only other traffic we hit was around Orlando on Sunday morning. Nothing that stopped us, just a lot of traffic. Weather was perfect for the whole drive down also.
On the way home it was a much different story. Terrential downpours caused us to leave a bit earlier than we wanted after our Crystal Palace breakfast. We saw car accidents from the moment we got on I-4 until almost to Jacksonville. Horrible driving conditions in the rain with heavy ponding on the roads. On Sunday we encountered Panthers game traffic around Charlotte but it was mostly going the opposite direction so not much to worry about. We got a late start due to the trolley tour so we had to do the West Virginia hills in the dark. EEEK. Not fun, but totally fun at the same time. Monday (Columbus day) we finished the drive home. This was by far the worst day of driving. Once we hit PA, there was construction every 2 miles it seemed. I was happy to get to NY...or was I? The drive through NY on the 90 was the worst yet. Other Drivers were driving like crazy!! I am used to NY drivers and this was even bad for me. We finally made it home though and loved every minute of it.

Gas prices - These seemed to drop while we were in Disney. We left Buffalo with prices at $3.70. Once we hit PA they started to drop, although every exit I picked to stop on the way down seemed to be $0.10 more expensive than the one I just passed. By the way home, I actually was able to pay $3.08 at one point. By the way, in Buffalo prices are still at $3.65.

That is about it other than to say I loved having my car in Disney! We planned to use buses the whole trip, but only used them once and then ditched them for the car every other day. So much easier with the stroller.
Oh yeah, did I mention it was me, my wife, my daughter who turned 2 during the trip, and my mother in law in an Equinox. Not too shabby, huh?

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer!
DIS Dads member #641 - Maelstrom Kingpins forever!

Oct. 07 Honeymoon - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 08 Anniversary - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 11 Belle's first Disney Vacation! - Coronado Springs
Oct. 12 First DVC trip as an owner! Belle turns 3 and our 5 Year Anniversary all in one trip! - Beach Club Villas
Jan. 14 First trip with Kenzie!!! Boardwalk here we come!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkingpin View Post
Hey everyone! I am almost rested up from our 2,000+ mile drive that we returned from 2 days ago from Buffalo, NY to Disney! I was told before I left to get the mileage numbers to make the list and well, here they are...
Arrived in Disney-Coronado Springs at 34,309 on the car which equals a one way journey of 1,227 miles!
Arrived in Buffalo at 35,642 miles on the car which equals 1,263 miles on the way home. We did do some driving in Savannah on the way home so that is the difference there.

Now onto the details...!
A great detailed report!
Let the countdown to your next 2,000+ mile round-trip drive begin!
All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
patkingpin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
A great detailed report!
Let the countdown to your next 2,000+ mile round-trip drive begin!
All the best.
Thanks!! The wife has already told me it will be this time next year!

Oct. 12 First DVC trip as an owner! Belle turns 3 and our 5 Year Anniversary all in one trip! - Beach Club Villas
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
Wanted to jump on board the new thread. I can't believe how fast it got to part III.
Probably because I talk too much

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

1st page!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Who is next on the road to WDW?

Last edited by BC1836; 10-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

Nice clean new thread!

We made our first 2000+ trip last year and liked it so much we're doing it 2x in 2012.

August 2010 - POR °O° August 2011 - CBR °O° February 2012 - Pop °O° August 2012 - BC °O° August 2013 - POFQ °O° August 2014 - POFQ
Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

I suppose I should chime in and say how excited I am to see a new thread open up.

I'm hoping to book my next 2000+ mile trip sometime very soon. Just trying to solidify our schedule and budget for next June.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkingpin View Post

Now onto the details. We took the 90-79-19-77-95-4 route and it was very nice both ways. We stayed in Hampton Inns along the way. Columbia, SC on the way down and then Richmond Hill, GA and Beckley, WV on the way back. The way down the second night we stayed with friends in Orange City, FL.
We left Friday morning 9/30 at 6am and arrived in Disney Sunday morning around 11am. The way home we left Disney around 11am Saturday morning and arrived back in Buffalo Monday night 10/10 around 5pm. We did stop in Savannah Saturday night and went into historic Savannah for a bit and then Sunday morning we returned and did a trolley tour before starting the drive to Beckley.

Traffic - Not bad at all on the way down. We encountered barely any traffic until Friday evening in Charlotte, NC. Rush hour crowds were still trying to get home I believe when we drove through around 6pm. Not bad though, but did slow us down. Construction wasn't an issue that day either. The only other traffic we hit was around Orlando on Sunday morning. Nothing that stopped us, just a lot of traffic. Weather was perfect for the whole drive down also.
On the way home it was a much different story. Terrential downpours caused us to leave a bit earlier than we wanted after our Crystal Palace breakfast. We saw car accidents from the moment we got on I-4 until almost to Jacksonville. Horrible driving conditions in the rain with heavy ponding on the roads. On Sunday we encountered Panthers game traffic around Charlotte but it was mostly going the opposite direction so not much to worry about. We got a late start due to the trolley tour so we had to do the West Virginia hills in the dark. EEEK. Not fun, but totally fun at the same time. Monday (Columbus day) we finished the drive home. This was by far the worst day of driving. Once we hit PA, there was construction every 2 miles it seemed. I was happy to get to NY...or was I? The drive through NY on the 90 was the worst yet. Other Drivers were driving like crazy!! I am used to NY drivers and this was even bad for me. We finally made it home though and loved every minute of it.

Gas prices - These seemed to drop while we were in Disney. We left Buffalo with prices at $3.70. Once we hit PA they started to drop, although every exit I picked to stop on the way down seemed to be $0.10 more expensive than the one I just passed. By the way home, I actually was able to pay $3.08 at one point. By the way, in Buffalo prices are still at $3.65.

That is about it other than to say I loved having my car in Disney! We planned to use buses the whole trip, but only used them once and then ditched them for the car every other day. So much easier with the stroller.
Oh yeah, did I mention it was me, my wife, my daughter who turned 2 during the trip, and my mother in law in an Equinox. Not too shabby, huh?

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer!
Thank you sooo much for this report! We are leaving a week from today and will be driving the same route you did! Now...the last time we drove down was completely different as we avoided the WV hills altogether (it was winter). So...I am completely unfamilair with your route! We plan on leaving as soon as we get our five year old from school (about 2:20) and driving until about 11pm. Will be be driving right through the hills most of the time? How bad was it really? What kinds of "hills" are they? I guess I think "mountians" because I lived in the Pacific NW and often drove through the Cascade Mountain range. Any advice would be appreciated.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
Old 10-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
patkingpin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamkate View Post
Thank you sooo much for this report! We are leaving a week from today and will be driving the same route you did! Now...the last time we drove down was completely different as we avoided the WV hills altogether (it was winter). So...I am completely unfamilair with your route! We plan on leaving as soon as we get our five year old from school (about 2:20) and driving until about 11pm. Will be be driving right through the hills most of the time? How bad was it really? What kinds of "hills" are they? I guess I think "mountians" because I lived in the Pacific NW and often drove through the Cascade Mountain range. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am glad I can help. The hills are a bit more than hills but I would think I bit less than the Cascades. Basically think of winding up and down turns the whole way through West Virginia for a couple hours of the trip. In the daytime they seem like nothing, at night (which would be when you do it) it is a bit more scary. You basically can do 70 through them no problem, but there are a couple where you will want to make sure the breaks work. When you need to pass the semis you will feel a bit more scared as well. You can tell when the bad parts are coming though. Pay attention to the "no trucks left lane" signs and you know that isn't the best turn.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
nono
DIS Veteran

BC,

Clarification on the records. Are they only for going to WDW? Or, if we do lose our minds and drive to DL next year, would that count too?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
BC,

Clarification on the records. Are they only for going to WDW? Or, if we do lose our minds and drive to DL next year, would that count too?
Great question! Indeed, this thread only pertains to Walt Disney World round-trip drives.

[However, one day, we expect to do a cross-country drive and end up at Disneyland. We'll follow in your tire tracks...at least part of the way.]

All the best.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: