Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Disneylver
Earning My Ears

Question Kitchen meals for reno

Having my Kitchen redone. I was told it will be seven weeks with no kitchen.
Does anyone have any suggestions for meals I can make,freeze and mirco when they are working on my kitchen. I will have a refrig and freezer and micro in my basement.

Last edited by Disneylver; 08-23-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Disneylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
DVCDan36
Mouseketeer

Take a look at crockpot cookbooks. Easy and effecient ways to make great meals without a full kitchen. Also, you can always use a portable electric burner to cook on the stove top for meals. And don't under estimate a good grill, you can do so much on a good grill.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

We lived by the crockpot, microwave and the grill when we had ours redone (took 7 weeks). My kids love pasta and stews and soups so that is what I made. Burgers, steaks, chicken and roast pork come out nice on the grill, you can do veggies there too.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I too would get a slow cooker.

A simple meal my guys like is Sausage and Rice. You cook white rice (I use a rice cooker but it can be done in a microwave), and then heat slightly (so they are not frozen) a package of heat and serve sausages. Cut up the sausages into bite size pieces and add them into the rice, then add tomato sauce into the rice and stir so it coats everything. Heat in the microwave until hot and serve.

Goos luck with the redo!

Rebecca
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

Best of luck! From my sister's experience plan for an extra 2-3 weeks (then if the kitchen IS done on time you still have some supplies in the freezer in case of need ) I'd also recommend a slow cooker - when I'm working I use it more than the stove. It also means you can load it up before the workmen arrive each day and it doesn't matter if they leave late - its (almost) impossible to spoil a meal! Also soup is a great thing to make in advance and freeze in single servings - very useful if people need lunch at odd times. When we go on vacation we generally only have 4 burners and maybe a microwave, so have a lot of pasta and sauces - my DSis swears by her George Foreman for all sorts of things, including french toast!
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

I love my Forman grill! We didn't have that when the kitchen was redone so I forgot about it. I use mine for grilled sandwiches, french toast, grilled veggies and meats and fish (shrimp comes out great grilled this way).
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

How about a no cook meal? When I'm in a hurry or just don't want to cook, I buy Perdue or Tyson refrigerated precooked chicken and throw together a quick salad with bagged lettuce, cucumber, grape tomatoes and whatever other toppings I want.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
How about a no cook meal? When I'm in a hurry or just don't want to cook, I buy Perdue or Tyson refrigerated precooked chicken and throw together a quick salad with bagged lettuce, cucumber, grape tomatoes and whatever other toppings I want.
That sounds like a good idea. Thank you
Phil Cirrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneeyes View Post
I love my Forman grill! We didn't have that when the kitchen was redone so I forgot about it. I use mine for grilled sandwiches, french toast, grilled veggies and meats and fish (shrimp comes out great grilled this way).
Wow I have a big one and I have only used it on chicken.
Thank you
I got an early preview of what it will be like. I live in long island ny and we just got our power back from Sunday ugh!!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
Best of luck! From my sister's experience plan for an extra 2-3 weeks (then if the kitchen IS done on time you still have some supplies in the freezer in case of need ) I'd also recommend a slow cooker - when I'm working I use it more than the stove. It also means you can load it up before the workmen arrive each day and it doesn't matter if they leave late - its (almost) impossible to spoil a meal! Also soup is a great thing to make in advance and freeze in single servings - very useful if people need lunch at odd times. When we go on vacation we generally only have 4 burners and maybe a microwave, so have a lot of pasta and sauces - my DSis swears by her George Foreman for all sorts of things, including french toast!
Yes that what I was thinking about the slow cooker and George forman. I didn't think about soup though. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
I too would get a slow cooker.

A simple meal my guys like is Sausage and Rice. You cook white rice (I use a rice cooker but it can be done in a microwave), and then heat slightly (so they are not frozen) a package of heat and serve sausages. Cut up the sausages into bite size pieces and add them into the rice, then add tomato sauce into the rice and stir so it coats everything. Heat in the microwave until hot and serve.

Goos luck with the redo!

Rebecca
That sounds great thank you.
Lisa
Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cirrone View Post
Wow I have a big one and I have only used it on chicken.
Thank you
I got an early preview of what it will be like. I live in long island ny and we just got our power back from Sunday ugh!!!!

You can cook just about anything solid on the forman, not good for pancakes though, just saying

We lost our power for 30 hours starting on Sunday, but all of our damage came from the flooding.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry to hear that. How are you doing now with all this rain? My prayers are with you and your family.
Lisa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: