Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #136
stink
Mouseketeer

Kidani

Hi All,

Have booked a 2 bedroom savannah view accessible villa. For my 85 year old dad and 80 year old mom they need a low bed, as beds can be quite high, a roll in shower with seat, accessbile toilet that we can access via wheelchair.

Looking for information about where the accessible rooms are located around the savannah and I'd like to show my Dad some pictures of the villa as he is nervous about being away from his own accessible bathroom & bedroom.

I've also rented a lift recliner from a disney recommended vendor to be delivered to the resort from Care Medical Equipment...has anyone rented medical equipment from Care ?

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #137
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Hi All,

Have booked a 2 bedroom savannah view accessible villa. For my 85 year old dad and 80 year old mom they need a low bed, as beds can be quite high, a roll in shower with seat, accessbile toilet that we can access via wheelchair.

Looking for information about where the accessible rooms are located around the savannah and I'd like to show my Dad some pictures of the villa as he is nervous about being away from his own accessible bathroom & bedroom.

I've also rented a lift recliner from a disney recommended vendor to be delivered to the resort from Care Medical Equipment...has anyone rented medical equipment from Care ?
We rented a Rehab bath chair from Care. It was fine, delivered and picked up on schedule. People have posted about renting reclining chairs from them and were fine.

I will look for accessible room pictures. Are you staying at the AK Lodge or villas?

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #138
stink
Mouseketeer

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. We are staying in a savannah view villa, two bedroom at Kidani.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #139
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. We are staying in a savannah view villa, two bedroom at Kidani.
Sorry, I missed the 2 bedroom villa part. I did need to know the Kidani part though. That is important because when we toured Animal Kingdom Villas, they pretty much told us that Jambo is not as accessible, but Kidani has nicely accessible rooms.
I have not been able to find any pictures of accessible rooms yet, but this post has some very nice pictures of the regular rooms. Most of the differences between the regular rooms and the accessible ones are in the bathrooms.

As far as bed height - there were no guidelines for bed height in accessible rooms until just recently (March 2011). So, there is no standard for low beds in accessible rooms. If the bed is too high, you can call Housekeeping and they will be able to help.

Still looking for accessible room pictures, but this will help for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ead79 View Post
Here are pictures from our savannah view one bedroom villa 7969 at Kidani Village at AKV.

Extra full bath accessed from the living room:

Master bath

EDITED TO ADD: I searched as many places and ways as I can think of and have not been able to find any pictures of a roll in shower bathroom at Kidani.
I am going to separate out your post and my replies from this thread so hopefully someone will see it and reply.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 08-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #140
travelitis
DIS Veteran

Q about All Stars

Son uses his scooter/ECV, plus we have to take an air mattress plus 6 inch memory foam mattress for him as part of his pain control measures. We're staying at All Star Sports, and I wondered if the room sq ft was same as the regular rooms. I'm assuming it is, although that seems tight for navigating a wheelchair before we rearrange furniture and add to it. If the only difference is the bathroom, though, he can be in a standard room this trip.

(my sig really needs updated)

5 Mickey bars ~ $25.00 Picture of kids with an X-Wing ~ $35 losing count of Disney trips ~ Priceless!

Last edited by travelitis; 09-02-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Clarity
travelitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #141
Capt. Barbosa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

Not sure when you are travelling but I will be staying in a 2 Bdrm with a Roll-in shower Kidani the First week in November, so if you are travelling after that I will pictures of the room up shortly after that.

First of all,returning you to shore was never part of our agreement. Second, you are not a pirate, so the Pirate's Code does not apply. And third, the Pirate's Code is more of a set of what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl.
Capt. Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #142
Cinderella<3
Earning My Ears

Hello, can someone tell me if I'm correct when I say the Disney's All Star Music resort has HA suites, but does not have a roll in shower?
Cinderella<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #143
Charleyann
Someone spilled the beans
Just 70 more days till that smell comes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella<3 View Post
Hello, can someone tell me if I'm correct when I say the Disney's All Star Music resort has HA suites, but does not have a roll in shower?
You are incorrect. All Star Resorts have roll in shower rooms and other HA rooms. The roll in shower rooms all have one king size bed.....

Stayed many times in Roll in Shower rolls at Values and moderates ...

Feel free to ask anymore....

Oops I misread your question. The Music does not have roll in shower suites
Charleyann
Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #144
Cinderella<3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmemories5 View Post
I was just looking for this information. We stayed at POP back in 2005 and I had requested the roll in show accessible room for our stay and had 4 people in the room. For that stay, we were given a king room that was accessible and were comped at second connecting room with 2 double beds. Worked out very well. I believe I was told at some point during that process of making the reservations that ALL roll in accessible rooms at POP were king due to the larger bathroom size.
I am now verifying our details for our trip next month with the same four people at POP and can't quite seem to find out if that is the case still. I am needing to know so I know if I need to bring additional bedding along for my son. If it is a roll in room with 2 double beds, he will need bedding for the floor (14 yr. old daughter is the one in a wheelchair and does not 'share' her bed well). If it is the same set up as our last trip, we will be fine and he will have a bed. I spoke with someone at the main number the other day and all she could tell me is it could be either way. Is POP the only one that is set standard with the King bed and she was misunderstood? I really felt rushed talking to her. Not nearly as helpful as most CM I have dealt with. Does anyone know how I can find out this information?
THANK SO MUCH IN ADVANCE IF YOU KNOW.
Alright so I'm a little confused and I hope you can help me clear it up My dad is a paraplegic and needs lots of help in the morning. We are looking for a suite type of room. A room for my dad and step mom to have their privacy to get him ready in the morning, and then a living room with a pull out couch or something for the other kids stay in. It sounds like this would be a perfect situation for us. My dad and step mom could stay in one of the rooms and the others could stay in the joining room. I just don't understand what it takes to have the room covered by Disney?
Cinderella<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #145
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright so I'm a little confused and I hope you can help me clear it up My dad is a paraplegic and needs lots of help in the morning. We are looking for a suite type of room. A room for my dad and step mom to have their privacy to get him ready in the morning, and then a living room with a pull out couch or something for the other kids stay in. It sounds like this would be a perfect situation for us. My dad and step mom could stay in one of the rooms and the others could stay in the joining room. I just don't understand what it takes to have the room covered by Disney?
A suite holds 6 people so you would not need an ajoining room. A standard room holds 4 people, so you would need to pay for a second room.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #146
Charleyann

Quote:
If there are four of you, then you will need a second room if the room has a king. They are usually adjoining so they could have their privacy when needed .....Similiar to your needs ? If not, then maybe try the deluxe.....

Charleyann

Last edited by SueM in MN; 09-18-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Charleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #147
Charleyann

Quote:
You just call Disney and let them know you need a roll in shower room for four people. They have to book through special services and will put you on hold to do so and let you know availability....

Be sure to stress ROLL IN Shower . Disney will nto tell you until you arrive how they will handle it exactly. They do have different ways of dealing with it.
Charleyann

Last edited by SueM in MN; 09-18-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Charleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #148
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I searched as many places and ways as I can think of and have not been able to find any pictures of a roll in shower bathroom at Kidani.
This is the roll-in shower in our 2 bed (dedicated) standard view villa at Kidani room number 7819 on 4th floor.

The roll-in shower is in the bathroom off the 2nd bedroom. This bedroom has 2 double beds. The master suite had a standard master bathroom with whirlpool tub and shower enclosure and the 3rd bathroom had a regular tub with shower over.
This is the vanity unit in the 2nd bathroom which was alongside the roll-in shower.

Just to answer the earlier question about beds - the beds in the 2nd bedroom (the one with the roll-in shower) were very high not lower as is usual in accessible rooms.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
loadsapixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #149
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post

Just to answer the earlier question about beds - the beds in the 2nd bedroom (the one with the roll-in shower) were very high not lower as is usual in accessible rooms.
Thank you for the pictures. I looked all over and could not find any.

Regarding the bed height. Until the most recent guidelines to the ADA accessibility guidelines, there were no standards for bed heights in handicapped accessible rooms.
So, some were high, some were low. It could vary a lot.
The new guidelines do add height information.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #150
pampam
DIS Veteran

What are the new ADA guidelines for bed height?
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: