Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
I wish I had the Capital One c/c. That would make things easier. Since my cards will add the 3% foreign transaction fee to my purchases, I'm planning on using them only for a major purchase if one arises - like the leather jacket I'd like to pick up in Florence

I'm also pretending that the VAT is just an urban legend
You can collect the VAT at the airport on your departure date. Just have the form from the store filled out if you purchase an item with VAT on it and present it to the VAT counter (your guides will direct you) at the airport and you should be able to collect the euros paid for tax.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Is the VAT refundable on all purchases or only those over a certain $ value?
I thought I read somewhere that item value had to be at least a certain amount.
I'd love it if it was refundable on ALL my purchases.
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
OhioDisneyDavid
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I wish I had the Capital One c/c. That would make things easier. Since my cards will add the 3% foreign transaction fee to my purchases, I'm planning on using them only for a major purchase if one arises - like the leather jacket I'd like to pick up in Florence

I got the Capital One card specifically for this trip. It was rated as a top card and the bonus of no foreign fees. I am taking the Capital One, Disney Chase and my ATM card. I will use the Disney card shipboard to see if I get any "perks".

The VAT is a killer. No way around this one. You can get the money back but from what I have read, it can sometimes be a challenge. You have to keep your reciepts, wait in a long line, fill out a bunch of forms and they charge a E10 fee to file the form. It may be worth it for your $300 jacket but it is close. What is your time and effort worth? After all, you're on vacation!

You have to make at least E100 in purchases at one location in order to qualify to file. Also the purchases have to be in the same name or you have to fill out a second form. IE Husband and wife both made purchases.

Last edited by OhioDisneyDavid; 08-16-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: add content
OhioDisneyDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
*WDW*Groupie*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyDavid View Post

The VAT is a killer. No way around this one. You can get the money back but from what I have read, it can sometimes be a challenge. You have to keep your reciepts, wait in a long line, fill out a bunch of forms and they charge a E10 fee to file the form. It may be worth it for your $300 jacket but it is close. What is your time and effort worth? After all, you're on vacation!

You have to make at least E100 in purchases at one location in order to qualify to file. Also the purchases have to be in the same name or you have to fill out a second form. IE Husband and wife both made purchases.
Getting the VAT back is easy! It does involve a bit of time though. Here are a few tips:

-When you make purchases on the ship, make sure you "save" up everything you want to reach the VAT return requirement.

-Keep all your VAT forms together in your stateroom

-Fill out the VAT forms in your stateroom on the last night; there isn't much info required, but it will make it a bit easier as you stand in line at the airport

-When in line at the airport, have your passport and boarding pass with you

-Always ask vendors for the VAT forms when you are making purchases over 100 Euros. They may grumble and complain, but it is your right to have the form; either that or they can reduce their price by 18%

-Try to get to the airport at least 2 hours ahead of your scheduled flight to allow for time in the lines (one to be stamped by the police and the other to collect your $$ downstairs)

-If you have the time to line up for your $$ back (the second line), it is worth it; one of my purchases wasn't linked to the airport refund depot and I am still waiting for the $$ back on my credit card (I mailed the form at the airport on June 28th and was told it would take 4 - 6 weeks; I am wondering if I will ever see the credit)

My total cash back at the airport was 130 Euros. The refund on my credit card is 68 Euros. So, was my time in line worth $$$? Absolutely! Would I do it again? Yes!!

*WDW*Groupie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #20
OhioDisneyDavid
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WDW*Groupie* View Post
Getting the VAT back is easy! It does involve a bit of time though. Here are a few tips:

-When you make purchases on the ship, make sure you "save" up everything you want to reach the VAT return requirement.

-Keep all your VAT forms together in your stateroom

-Fill out the VAT forms in your stateroom on the last night; there isn't much info required, but it will make it a bit easier as you stand in line at the airport

-When in line at the airport, have your passport and boarding pass with you

-Always ask vendors for the VAT forms when you are making purchases over 100 Euros. They may grumble and complain, but it is your right to have the form; either that or they can reduce their price by 18%

-Try to get to the airport at least 2 hours ahead of your scheduled flight to allow for time in the lines (one to be stamped by the police and the other to collect your $$ downstairs)

-If you have the time to line up for your $$ back (the second line), it is worth it; one of my purchases wasn't linked to the airport refund depot and I am still waiting for the $$ back on my credit card (I mailed the form at the airport on June 28th and was told it would take 4 - 6 weeks; I am wondering if I will ever see the credit)

My total cash back at the airport was 130 Euros. The refund on my credit card is 68 Euros. So, was my time in line worth $$$? Absolutely! Would I do it again? Yes!!
Thanks for your input. I have yet to do it so your experience is a great addition!!

I will likely do everything you indicated so I can get my VAT back. Our flight leaves at 10:30 am so I am hoping that this will give us enough time to get everything in order, stand in line, get the money and still make our flight. It would have been more relaxing to be leaving in the afternoon. (DCL made our flight arrangements.)

Again, thanks for your input!!
OhioDisneyDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Keep in mind that the 3% charge that you are going to incur on your credit card will probably still make it cheaper to use your credit card than exchange US dollars for Euros at your bank.

Additionally, you will find GREAT leather jackets in Florence. My wife and I both got one and even with the VAT, they were cheaper and nicer than anything that you can get in the US.

One last thing...don't forget to use your credit card when you purchase pottery in Orvieto!
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

I keep having a dream where our plane back to the US is towing a u-haul to carry all my purchases.
It's going to be like Christmas at home when all the boxes start arriving

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #23
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Is that like when the UPS truck has to haul the little UPS trailer behind it? Because that could totally happen!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile THIS AND THAT ABOUT THE VaT.....

Quote:
Is the VAT refundable on all purchases or only those over a certain $ value?
I thought I read somewhere that item value had to be at least a certain amount.
I'd love it if it was refundable on ALL my purchases.

When I went on over to the Emrald Aisle, there was soooooooooooo mush confusion about the VAT from my adventure group members so yes, it does pay to read up on the VAT and understand its ins and outs.

Yes, the VAT is good for people who spend a lot of money on certain items and yes it is wise to keep receipts.

-----------------------------
ex:

Ireland Value Added Tax
In most cases,from 1.1.2010 the standard VAT in Ireland is 21%.
There is a reduced rate of 13.5%.
VAT is charged on assets and services in Ireland as well as on imports into Ireland.
The minimum turnover for registering with the VAT authorities is EUR 37,500 (for services) and EUR 75,000 (for goods).
VAT returns are made once every two months. In certain cases, it is possible to make a return once a year.

Ireland Transactions that are Exempt from VAT
The following products and services are exempt from VAT:

Export.
Health and medical services.
Children's clothing.
Insurance and banking services.
Food.
Agricultural fertilizers.

Bottom line - enjoy your vacation and have fun.

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Most vendors will ship items home to the U.S. We took advantage in Sorrento and were quite pleased we did not have to lug all our "treasures" with us all over Italy. One thing that the vendors pointed out is that we would have to pay an "import Fee" that amounted to about $30.00. It was worth every cent for the conveinence. Some of those inlay furniture and large platters are impossible to safely carry with you. Secondly when you are at the airport to turn in your Vat tax item ask before going through security. We found out the hard way that we were suppose to have the paper stamped outside security and if you think going back through security was worth the Vat than in my opinion it was not. Hope it helps.
carpenta is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: