Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #136
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Enchanted Garden

Friday 20th May 2011 Continued

Hi everyone

Following a wonderful day of fun on The Dream we headed back up to Currents Bar on Deck 12 for a relaxing drink

Passion Margarita
Jose Cuervo Tequila, Grand Marnier, Sweet & Sour, Lime and Orange Passion Guarva Juice

Sunshine in a glass

DH had a coke and treated himself to a cigar

We headed back to our stateroom to shower and relax for a while on the veranda before heading back up to Deck 12 just as the ship was leaving the port at Nassau

Tonight’s theme was ‘Pirate’s Night’ so I picked up the ‘Pirate Cocktail’ from a friendly CM and enjoyed the view

Sorry, I didn’t take a note of what was in this one but the glass was a cool keepsake

Our designated restaurant tonight was the Enchanted Garden which was a beautifully designed restaurant

It was a much more adult environment than Animator’s Palate but still had a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere

The décor is in the vain of an old conservatory and very much reminded me of the beautiful Victorian greenhouses at Kew Gardens in London

Throughout the evening the lighting subtly changes and there are other special effects to give the impression of day turning to night ……….. truly an enchanted garden

As per the night before at Animator’s Palate, I didn’t feel comfortable using my camera at the table so it’s a photo free review I’m sorry to report

The seating arrangement tonight was different from the previous night at Animator’s Palate and it meant that DH and I could sit next to each other and chat away to our hearts content (we both talk a lot )

Our wonderful servers joined us again and made some menu recommendations and began to take drink orders

I asked our assistant server for some wine recommendations; he was hugely knowlegable and enthusiastic and we shared many of the same tastes.

I went with his recommendation of a very nice Sauvignon Blanc (sorry didn’t note down any details) but I do know it was from Sonoma

First off we were served bread which tonight was a Multi-grain Loaf and Country Current Bread with Chickpea-Garlic Puree; yummy!

Myself and DH both went for the same appetiser tonight; the North Atlantic Lobster Ravioli with Roasted Garlic and Sweet Basil in a light Tomato Broth

The pasta was not quite as light as the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes I had enjoyed the previous evening but it was still a flavoursome dish and the tomato broth was perfect with the ravioli

We were both pretty hungry so decided on a salad course as well

DH chose the Romaine Wedge; Fresh Crisp Romaine topped with a creamy Romano Dressing and homemade spiced croutons

His comments? …………….. ‘perfect’

I chose the Baby Spinach Salad, tender Spinach tossed with fresh sliced seasonal Pears, Tossed Pine Nuts and Crumbled Gorgonzola

I didn’t really enjoy this dish, it really just was a big plate of leaves with a tiny amount of the other ingredients and little or no dressing and I ended up leaving most of it

Not to worry, the entrees were on the way

DH ordered the Grilled NY Strip Steak with Thyme Roasted Vegetables, Double-baked potato topped with handmade Herb Butter

Once again this dish was a big hit and the steak was cooked perfectly. DH really enjoyed his meal

For me; Pan-seared Sea Bass with Saffron and Fennel Risotto with a Sweet Chili Glaze

This turned out to be my favourite entrée of the Cruise.

I love Sea Bass and if it’s listed on a menu I nearly always order it and this was just as great as I had hoped it would be

The risotto was delicious and the sweet chilli glaze really lifted the dish from ordinary to extra-ordinary

Onto desserts; DH chose the Steamed Lemon Buttermilk Pudding with a Citrus Reduction

I thought it sounded a bit heavy at the end of a big meal but in fact it was a very light and delicate dish and as with all of the portion sizes on our Cruise it was not over-facing

I chose the winner though Banana Foster Sundae; Rum -glazed Bananas, Vanilla Ice Cream, Whipped Cream and Caramel Sauce

Yum, yum, yum

Following dinner we took some coffee up to Deck 12 to watch the fireworks which was such a special moment; watching the sky light up in the middle of the ocean

Later that evening after exploring more of the ship and browsing in the shops we discovered that there was a dessert buffet

Although we were still full from dinner I wanted to try something so I picked up these

Chocolate-Chip Cookie & Pecan Slice

Both were very tasty, I particularly liked the pecan slice

It’s going to be great to be on a longer cruise next year as there is just too much food to pack into three days

Coming Up Next …………. A Little Bit Of Paradise In Castaway Cay!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #137
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Yeah! I know I can rely on you to post some yummy reviews for me when I am home typing out daily plans and trip reports!

I really LOVE to see all the yummy drinks you had - gonna get me some of those in August!

I had a similar experience with salad last year - lots of leaves, no dressing, very little of the extra ingredients.
Didn't eat much either.

I so have my heart set on the banana foster sundae! Thanks for giving it the

So, you are going on the Western Caribbean cruise - we are debating an Eastern Caribbean, as I have heard great things about St. Thomas and St. Maarten! It will be interesting to see what we decide on and what you have to report next year!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #138
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yeah! I know I can rely on you to post some yummy reviews for me when I am home typing out daily plans and trip reports!

I really LOVE to see all the yummy drinks you had - gonna get me some of those in August!

I had a similar experience with salad last year - lots of leaves, no dressing, very little of the extra ingredients.
Didn't eat much either.

I so have my heart set on the banana foster sundae! Thanks for giving it the

So, you are going on the Western Caribbean cruise - we are debating an Eastern Caribbean, as I have heard great things about St. Thomas and St. Maarten! It will be interesting to see what we decide on and what you have to report next year!
Morning Karin

We thought long and hard about Eastern Vs Western and I think both itineraries have plus and minus sides
I left the decision to DH and he just prefered the sound of 'Mexico' and that the two sea days weren't back to back; it was no more scientific than that
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #139
delarosacalm
Earning My Ears

I just came upon your review this morning and I am really enjoying it! I will be making our ADR's this time next week and because of your review I will be adding a few places that I hadn't expected too. I was just in London last week and it was quite dreary! I haven't been on a Disney cruise yet, just Carnival, but think I might have to try and fit one in while I am stateside this summer with my son and daughter. I agree with previous posters that you did not miss anything by staying on the boat at Nassua. Atlantis is the only thing worth seeing there and I am convinced that my hubby and I will have to plan a vacay there one day! That bananna icecream looked heavenly and so do all the cocktails that you have been enjoying. Looking forward to the rest of your review!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #140
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Another great update Linda!

That seabass sure sounds delicious - and I really like the look of that passion magarita!

Looking forward to the Little bit of paradise!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #141
klacey1
DIS Veteran

So subscribing! Love your reviews so far!

September 2013: PTR, TR, Dining Report
August 2011: PTR, TR, Dining Report
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #142
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Bananas foster sundae sounds delicious - rum glazed bananas, yum!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #143
Linda67

Castaway Cay

Saturday May 21st 2011

We woke early and stepped out onto the veranda to catch our first glimpse of Castaway Cay in the distance

It was fascinating to watch the ship dock, I mean this thing is HUGE so it’s no mean feat!

I was really keen to get onto the island early so we showered and gathered our belongings for the day before popping down to Cabanas for coffee and some breakfast

Bran Muffin, Chocolate Chip Muffin and Pancakes

Shortly after we had finished our yummy treats, the announcement was made that we were now free to disembark so off we went

Sorry to go slightly off topic from food but I just want to say ‘WOW’

Castaway Cay is so beautiful and once we had made our way to Serenity Bay to set up camp for the day in our hammocks I had to pinch myself to believe I was here

The morning was spent snorkelling with Stingrays, Starfish and countless other stunning sea creatures before DH convinced me that I was not in fact Ariel and I needed to get out of the water at some point

We lay in the sun for a while and a friendly crew member was kind enough to bring me one of these:

Conch Cooler
Cream of coconut, light rum, dark rum, passion fruit juice and orange juice

It has been suggested in certain quarters that writing a Disney Dining review is an easy thing to do, well let me tell you, it’s very hard work, I mean the hours I have put into research on your behalf

"Could someone be a darling and pop and get me a Pina Colada please?"

After all that hard ‘research’ it was time for lunch so we headed off to Cookies BBQ next to the adult beach for a bite to eat

This is my plate:

Mahi-Mahi, Cous-Cous, Greek Salad & Coleslaw

The Mahi-Mahi was a little bit dry but I got the very end of the batch, everything else was great

And for DH

Chicken, Coleslaw and Ribs

He really enjoyed this and said that the chicken was particularly good

The salad bar was great here and there was a constant supply of fresh BBQ meat and fish

It was the perfect lunch after a morning in the water

I took a fresh fruit plate back to my hammock to enjoy

The mango was too die for and I had to go back to get more!

We spent the afternoon cycling around the island and all too soon it was time to head back to the ship to get ready for tonight’ s show and dinner at The Royal Palace

Check out this view of the ship from the island as we headed back:

Coming Up Next ………… A Dinner Fit For A Princess (& Prince)

Last edited by Linda67; 06-15-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #144
Linda67

Double Post

Sorry folks - double post
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #145
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by delarosacalm View Post
I was just in London last week and it was quite dreary!
It usually is
There is a little bit of sun-shine this morning but I would much prefer to be in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Another great update Linda!

That seabass sure sounds delicious - and I really like the look of that passion magarita!

Looking forward to the Little bit of paradise!
Just posted Castaway Cay; being from the UK you will understand it if I describe Castaway Cay as "like being in a Bounty advert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
So subscribing! Love your reviews so far!
Welcome and thanks for reading along Plently more to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Bananas foster sundae sounds delicious - rum glazed bananas, yum!
Oh wow it was delicious keep tuned for the Bananas Foster Waffles later in the trip
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #146
plien69
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Just posted Castaway Cay; being from the UK you will understand it if I describe Castaway Cay as "like being in a Bounty advert"
Had to do some research on this, as Bounty in the US is a popular brand of paper kitchen towels, and their commercials rarely feature tropical islands as a setting.

Come to find out Bounty is a chocolate-covered coconut candy bar in the UK, and its commercial (or "advert" if you prefer ) is appropriately set in a tropical island paradise.
plien69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #147
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Great Bounty advert Linda!

It looks absolutely heavenly there!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #148
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Wow at the food and cruise pics/review!

Although I have only just booked my first trip to Disney I now want to go on a cruise as well!

Love the muffins, fruit, drinks and hammock!
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #149
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

You made me so HOMESICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to go back to MY tropical paradise!

Castaway Cay is beautiful, isn't it? And then being served a nice cool adult beverage - Conch Cooler !

Thanks Linda, you are building up my excitement, big time.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #150
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Just from the few pictures I've seen, Castaway Cay does look incredibly beautiful! And that drink they brought you looked pretty tasty Fresh mango is an amazing thing, your fruit looked so delicious.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: