Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #91
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Cool, I'm all caught up now.

So sorry that your Le Cellier dinner was a disaster! I had the salmon in March and really enjoyed it, but if it had been cold and overcooked I certainly would have felt the same way.

And I found the waffles at Roaring Fork completely delicious! We tried every kind except the chocolate one, and the strawberry-orange waffles were heavenly.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #92
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Narcoossee's

Tuesday May 17th 2011

Tonight our dinner was at Narcoossee’s (I'm never sure if that is this is a correct use of an apostrophe )

We arrived about 20 minutes ahead of our ADR so that we could enjoy a pre-dinner drink before we were seated

Once we had checked in and had our buzzer we headed to the bar

As always DH had a Coke, no picture but I think you know what that looks like and I got one of these;

Agave Nectar Margarita
Tierras Organic Blanco Tequila, Agave Nectar, and Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice

When I ordered the bar tender told me it was his speciality and although other bars have this margarita, his were the best! (for research purposes I would test this theory later in the week )

This was a very well mixed margarita with a nice kick to it

We sat outside on the terrace enjoying our drinks and just as we were finishing off the buzzer sounded

We were led to a really nice table by the window which I was excited about as I knew we would get a great view of Wishes

Window View

I really liked the atmosphere in Narcoossees.

It was elegant and yet very relaxed and I loved the huge windows; I can see why this is a popular spot to watch the fireworks

Our server was soon with us to take our drink orders and make some menu suggestions

Whilst waiting for our drinks we were given some warm sourdough bread.

Warm Sourdough

DH really got a taste for sourdough on this vacation so really enjoyed this. I can’t really remember too much about it but I think it was good

Whilst we were munching on the bread I also enjoyed a glass of this

Fairy Tale by Iron Horse, Celebration Cuvée Brut

DH really wanted an appetiser but I wanted to save room for my entrée so he went ahead and ordered this

Jumbo Lump Crab Cake Grilled Zellwood Corn Relish and Ancho Chili Sauce

He loved this

For some reason I didn’t try any of his dish but DH raved about it saying that it was packed full of crab with no filler and the breading was perfect.

The corn relish was also a big hit and although he doesn’t usually enjoy too much spice he felt that the chilli sauce provided a nice little kick

We never felt rushed at Narcoossees and felt that the meal was really well paced.

We like to have a bit of a gap between appetisers and entrees and that’s exactly what we got

Next up the entrees

First here is my choice;

Steamed Whole Maine Lobster Baked Sherry-Cheddar Orecchiette Pasta and Delta Asparagus

Pretty much as soon as I had taken this photo, the lights dimmed and Wishes began

It was lovely to enjoy dinner with the fireworks as a backdrop but I must admit I spent most of the time concentrating on my dinner, knowing that we would have plenty of other opportunities to watch the show

So what’s the verdict?

Well I thought that my lobster was just ‘OK’

I did expect it to be quite firm and our server had already made us aware that the lobster served here did have a ‘slightly chewy texture’ so I am sure it was correctly prepared but I have enjoyed other whole lobsters more

The pasta had a great flavour but sadly was a little on the dry side but the asparagus was perfectly cooked and one of my favourite vegetables

And for DH ......................

Surf & Turf Medallions of Filet Mignon, Lobster Tail, Duchess Potatoes, Wax Beans and Béarnaise Sauce

DH really enjoyed his choice; he said that the steak was really tender and he particularly liked the firm texture of the lobster so I think it’s purely down to personal preference

The one downside of his dish was the duchess potatoes which were really dry so it seems like both of our side dishes were a bit of a let down.

The béarnaise sauce and beans were both perfect

Our server tonight was lovely by the way, attentive but not intrusive and seemed to be very experienced in her role.

She really helped to enhance the experience which is exactly what a good server can do

Next up dessert;

Almond-crusted Cheesecake - with lambert cherry sauce

This was my choice and I have to say I didn’t enjoy it

I thought that it would be a regular cheesecake with an almond crust but in fact it is an almond flavoured cheesecake with an almond crust

Now I really like the taste of almonds but this to me was total almond overload!!

The saving grace of the dish for me was the cherry sauce which was yummy!

Here is DH’s choice, isn’t it pretty?

Florida Strawberry-Lemon Tart finished with Strawberry Sauce and Whipped Cream

DH ate every last crumb, he loved it but said it wasn’t as ‘lemony’ as he expected

We both really enjoyed our evening at Narcoossee’s but it didn’t ‘wow’ us

Would we go again?

Probably not, it’s not that anything was particularly bad but with the exception of the crab cakes every dish we tried needed just a tiny tweak to take it from OK to excellent

Coming Up Next ………… Earl Of Sandwich & Captain Cook’s
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #93
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

The atmosphere at Narcoosees is wonderful, but DBF and I were also both disappointed in our meals too. (We both had the Surf and Turf.) Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy all of your meal either
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #94
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Am glad you enjoyed Narcoosee's but it's a shame it did not have the wow factor. I have to say though DHs appetiser and dessert look yummy!
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #95
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Too bad Narcoosee's wasn't as spectacular as it should have been. Your desserts do look very pretty though!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #96
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

You are not the only one to say that the Duchess potatoes were dry. I just read a trip report earlier concerning CRT. They served Duchess Potatoes as well, and the entire serving of potatoes could be lifted from the plate with a fork. Hmmm, I'm not a cook but I'm wondering if they were left out to long.

Great trip report!!

AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #97
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Wow, I've never seen any 100% positive comments about the Narcoossee's lobster or surf n' turf. You'd think for a plate that costs almost $60 that they would really get it right. I like Narcoossee's, but I'll probably stick to the crab-crusted halibut/flounder/mahi mahi.

And I agree with you that the almond-crusted cheesecake isn't my favorite dessert. I prefer the chocolate mousse dome or the mango sorbet (although the strawberry-lemon tart looks delicious!)
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #98
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

At least you had good service at Narcoossees - we enjoyed the food but the service was bad! A shame as we liked lots of other things about the restaurant.

Everyone has different experiences - that's what's makes reading the food reviews so interesting!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #99
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Another report from Linda!

I've just read the whole thing from start to finish and, I must say, you're doing an excellent job. I can't wait to read more!
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #100
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Loving your reviews so far! I'm sorry to hear about your experience about Le Cellier - I've never been but heard it's one of the most popular, so I'm surprised to hear negative reviews!

Narcoossee's looks pretty good, we are going there for our first night in Disney and I'm looking forward to it

And congrats on your first S'mores! Aren't they yummy?
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #101
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Cool, I'm all caught up now.

So sorry that your Le Cellier dinner was a disaster! I had the salmon in March and really enjoyed it, but if it had been cold and overcooked I certainly would have felt the same way.

And I found the waffles at Roaring Fork completely delicious! We tried every kind except the chocolate one, and the strawberry-orange waffles were heavenly.
Really happy to have your reading along, I love your reviews
Mmmm ......... strawberry-orange waffles, I've just had oatmeal for breakfast and it's just not quite the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The atmosphere at Narcoosees is wonderful, but DBF and I were also both disappointed in our meals too. (We both had the Surf and Turf.) Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy all of your meal either
We had a lovely evening at Narcoossees and it wasn't that the meal was 'bad' but more a combination of perhaps not ordering the right thing for our tastes and there needs to be a little more attention to detail on the side dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Am glad you enjoyed Narcoosee's but it's a shame it did not have the wow factor. I have to say though DHs appetiser and dessert look yummy!
Oh he loved that crab cake, I really can't remember why I didn't try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
Too bad Narcoosee's wasn't as spectacular as it should have been. Your desserts do look very pretty though!
Yep they sure were pretty, just the way desserts should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
You are not the only one to say that the Duchess potatoes were dry. I just read a trip report earlier concerning CRT. They served Duchess Potatoes as well, and the entire serving of potatoes could be lifted from the plate with a fork. Hmmm, I'm not a cook but I'm wondering if they were left out to long.

Great trip report!!

DH did the exact same thing! he picked up the entire serving on his fork and suggested he eat it like a mickey bar!
I gave him a gentle kick under the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Wow, I've never seen any 100% positive comments about the Narcoossee's lobster or surf n' turf. You'd think for a plate that costs almost $60 that they would really get it right. I like Narcoossee's, but I'll probably stick to the crab-crusted halibut/flounder/mahi mahi.

And I agree with you that the almond-crusted cheesecake isn't my favorite dessert. I prefer the chocolate mousse dome or the mango sorbet (although the strawberry-lemon tart looks delicious!)
I really should have chosen the crab-crusted halibut as I am sure I would have enjoyed it more and I also think that the mango sorbet would have been more to my taste ...... You should chose all my courses for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
At least you had good service at Narcoossees - we enjoyed the food but the service was bad! A shame as we liked lots of other things about the restaurant.

Everyone has different experiences - that's what's makes reading the food reviews so interesting!
Very true
Our server was really great and certainly made for a much more enjoyable evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Another report from Linda!

I've just read the whole thing from start to finish and, I must say, you're doing an excellent job. I can't wait to read more!
Lauren, your here! where have you been you're late

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Loving your reviews so far! I'm sorry to hear about your experience about Le Cellier - I've never been but heard it's one of the most popular, so I'm surprised to hear negative reviews!

Narcoossee's looks pretty good, we are going there for our first night in Disney and I'm looking forward to it

And congrats on your first S'mores! Aren't they yummy?
I am sure you will have a wonderful time at Narcoossees, there is a lovely atmosphere and what a beautiful setting
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #102
Linda67

Wednesday 18th May

Today was a non-park day but we still had a relatively early start as we wanted to do the 9am Wilderness Lodge Tour (which is well worth doing )

We took advantage of a totally empty pool to have a swim and enjoy the hot tub.

After we had showered and dressed we headed to Roaring Fork to top up our mugs with coffee and picked out a treat to share

Maple & Pecan Cinnamon Roll

Wow, wow, wow this was delicious

I love pecans, I love maple syrup and I love cinnamon, put them all together and you have one hell of a yummy breakfast. The only downside is that I had to share

After the tour we jumped in the car and headed off to melt our credit cards at Mall At The Millenia before heading back to Downtown Disney for lunch at the awesome ................................

We absolutely have to eat here every trip (usually more than once)

I am excited to hear that there is a branch opening at Disneyland Paris soon so that is reason enough for another trip on the Eurostar!

We decided to get two sandwiches that we both enjoy and split them

The Caprese - fresh mozzarella, roma tomatos, fresh basil and drizzled balsamic vinaigrette

Tuna Melt - albacore tuna salad and Swiss cheese

Totally delicious as always and a great counter service option

The bread is just wonderful and I am a big fan of the balsamic dressing on the Caprese

The Tuna Melt is gooey and yummy and a particularly good sandwich to share as a whole one can get a little bit sickly

On the DDP you can choose any dessert up to a value of either $2.49 or $2.99, I can’t remember which and here is what we chose

Three Berry Yoghurt & Granola Parfait & Strawbery & Cream Pound Cake

Both of these were really good, certainly the best counter service deserts we had eaten so far

We headed back to WL to drop off our shopping and freshen up before driving the short five minutes up the road to watch the 6pm torch lighting ceremony at the Poly

I picked up one of these from the pool bar to enjoy whilst watching the show

Pina Colada

If you prefer your cocktails on the tame side then this is the one for you.

It was very refreshing and just what was needed on a very warm evening but not much of a kick to it

This made me smile more than my Pina Colada

We decided to head back to WL for a while to relax and pack for tomorrow’s cruise but that we would return to the Poly later that evening for drinks and to watch Wishes from the beach

First stop when we returned was the Tambu Lounge

The usual coke for DH but something far more interesting for me

Captain’s Mai Tai

Don’t you just love the Tiki glass

We then headed to the beach to watch Wishes, you really do get a great view from the beach and we found a lovely peaceful spot after picking up one of these from the pool bar

Mango Margarita

I hope that nobody is keeping count of the number of alcoholic beverages in this post

After Wishes we were both getting hungry so headed straight for Captain Cook's

Aloha Pork Sandwich All sandwiches served with Asian Slaw, Chips, Steamed Vegetables, or Fries

This was DHs choice and he hardly came up for breath whilst eating it, he tells me it was a 10 out of 10 sandwich and packed full of flavour

And for me;

Grilled Cheese Sandwich cheddar, swiss, and Boursin cheeses served on multi-grain sunflower bread with Asian slaw

Oh my word, Earl Of Sandwich may have some competition, this was just wonderful. I enjoyed every last bite and the Asian Slaw was the perfect side dish

So what’s the real reason Captain Cook’s is so popular? ……………… self serve Dole Whip

What a wonderful way to end a perfect evening

Coming Up Next ……….. Setting Sail On The Dream!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #103
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Great food, lots of lovely cocktails and a hunky new friend - the perfect trip! (Which one made me want to lick the screen though.....)

I too love pecans, syrup and cinnamon!

The EoS sandwiches look so scrummy!

And all those cocktails! I love a mai tai too - and I must try a pina colada!

Linda, I am absolutely loving your trip report as much as I knew I would!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #104
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Great reviews - can't wait to try EoS!

Adding a new friend into the mix made it even more fun to read!!
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #105
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post

Maple & Pecan Cinnamon Roll

That looks quite delcious! I love cinnamon rolls and this one looks devine.

This made me smile more than my Pina Colada

So good! I actually just read about the torch lighting ceremony yesterday and decided we must check it out on our next trip. It's so funny that you mentioned it here as well!

I hope that nobody is keeping count of the number of alcoholic beverages in this post

Nah... By my reckoning you haven't had any
Comments in red. Loved the new update and can't wait to hear about the Dream!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: