Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
mhawk4
Mouseketeer

Location: much too far away from DW, the place where they take care of me

Creating care packages for troops

I work at a college and someone had the idea of students assembling care packages for troops. Everything I have found so far requires the company to purchase the items and assemble the packages. Are there any programs which will give you the items and the company provides the "people" power to put it all together? We have the power but not the money to put the care packages together.

Thanks!

POFQ - May 2010
AKV - December 2010
Dream - April 2012

Me, DH , DD , DD , DDog
mhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

heres a suggestion-if you have people power but not money and you want to support troops and their families. If you live near an installation-or there are National Guard troops deployed from your community rather than sending care packages offer services to the families of those soldiers. Mothers left with small children need help with lawn mowing and home maintenance chores, child care, car maintenance and lots of other tasks. By helping out families let behind you are supporting the troops-and the people who support them.
If care package assembly is an absolute-contact your local red cross and/or united way and see if they have any care package filling projects.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
mhawk4
Mouseketeer

Location: much too far away from DW, the place where they take care of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
heres a suggestion-if you have people power but not money and you want to support troops and their families. If you live near an installation-or there are National Guard troops deployed from your community rather than sending care packages offer services to the families of those soldiers. Mothers left with small children need help with lawn mowing and home maintenance chores, child care, car maintenance and lots of other tasks. By helping out families let behind you are supporting the troops-and the people who support them.
If care package assembly is an absolute-contact your local red cross and/or united way and see if they have any care package filling projects.
Thanks, I will look into that!

POFQ - May 2010
AKV - December 2010
Dream - April 2012

Me, DH , DD , DD , DDog
mhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
frijolefrito
Mouseketeer

To address your post directly:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to volunteer

http://www.uso.org/ways-to-volunteer.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry did the rest of this on a tangent.

Being currently deployed therefore making me the authority.. here you go. I go home soon tho and I'm still sooo excited

If you don't know the people or a person deployed and just want to help here are some links:

Cup of jo for a Joe

http://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/

at some deployed locations there is a coffee hut and in it you can buy a deployed military member coffee.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Operation Cookie Drop

http://www.girlscoutsww.org/cookies/operationcookiedrop

This through girl scouts of america you basically send cookies

Send a USO care package

http://www.uso.org/operation-uso-care-package.aspx

This is a program through the uso to send care packages.

If you want to volunteer

http://www.uso.org/ways-to-volunteer.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to donate

http://www.uso.org/donatelanding.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going solo wanting to put together a box than here are some pointers:

Each location people need different things. Some places have an abundant supply of things... others have 0. Thank You Cards and things of that nature are great.

Being currently deployed I found a nice mix of snacks to be the best. Like some sweet some salty. Things like sunflower seeds, chex mix, beef jerky, are in high demand. Tooth paste, tooth brush, deodorant, razors (mach 3), shampoos, and body wash. Twin Bed sheets pillow covers and pillows are awesome too. Magazines, books, movies all appreciated. Some people have portable dvd players ect.

With the shampoos you need to tape the tops down. With the mach 3 razor I'm gonna break it down like this. Unles it's a good razor I wouldn't send it. The amount of bic disposible razors that pile up is crazy. 4 mach 3 razors do more than one bag of 100 bic dipsosables. Don't pack anything that can melt.

If you know the person tho ask them! Some people would give there right arm for a laundry bag and Others for a loofa!
frijolefrito is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: