Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Emagine
DVC Member

Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys

Back

Just a little update. I have spent the recent days researching a little more, talking to the Doctors and Therapists we see about everything from this to that, from one child to two - etc. Even called a few 'refrences' for their thoughts now that they are in this journey.

I seem to be more confident in this approach as it is widely accepted, recommended and already signed for. The hold up was me just making sure. It is not a 'can I/we do this' from taking on the dog as much as what all does this really mean and so on. It is just a lot for someone like me to soak in. For me it is taking in another family member and I need to know there is comfort in everything/everyone around for this.

Having met and almost fallen into the arms of an agency that is pretty much answering our every concern and question I feel so much more at ease. Today we submit our application to them to get a final approval. Thus the journey begins......

I feel excited for my kiddo and my family.

Tips and experiences are still welcome, please msg me.
Emagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Please keep us informed along your journey

bookwormde
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Emagine
DVC Member

Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys

Will do, but still color me nervous. Dunno why lol. I was just thinking of things like how do I go to out to X. Silly trivial things to most but fact is we do not go out unless it is Drs or needs. Heck I do my groceries online.
Emagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #19
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think you're smart for considering the little things. The truth is it's the little things that people think are trivial or "I'll figure that out later" that can make a big difference. Yeah you would probably figure it out along the way and there will be things that you'll only be able to figure out once you're presented with the situation but as much as you can figure out ahead of time and truly take into account the better off you'll be.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
brat
DIS Veteran

I agree with Lock.

Emagine, we went through the same nerves before getting SD ffor DS. I look at how much SD does for DS and look back at how much more I had to do.The amount of work SD is for me is way less than the work I did for DS that SD has taken over for me.The biggest bonus is my DS can go places like his friends(oh and he has tons more friends)
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
cinderella73
I stand for strollers at wdw and peanut free schools!

I see this post is a few weeks old , but maybe I can be of some sort of help. I am a mom also that has a sd that I have to command for my child.

The dog is working for one son specificially , I do find the dog has no troubles bonding with both boys .

But in my case , as I suspect would be in yours if you are the handler ( its to big of a task for a child and even some preteens) the dog will really mainly bond with you . He will come to know you as the alpha and will look to you for everything .

I had to travel out of state to attend a couple weeks of training . In the first week the dog didnt want to work with me and would only listen to the trainer . Its a normal part of the process and I had to learn how to stand , speak in certain tones, gesture , walking , turning , the heal command ,down and stay , and how to maintain certain rules for the dog in the home were just some of the things taught. I am thinking since you will be commanding the dog to do certain tasks you will have to do similar things. If you will be using the dog to track your son when he wanders you will have to learn how scent training works.I knew of a autistic boy that was so in love with his SD he never let go of the leash ! It did HUGE wonders for him! I had scent training with ours to check for allergens and it is amazing how smart these dogs are !

They will show you how to make the dog settle down when you are at a register or at a resturant . Learning how to push a cart with the dog was a bit funny at first but is second nature now. There is so much more but it will all be tailored to you , your family , and your type of dog of course.

I was told to read this book by our trainer before arriving for classes . It really helps you understand how the dog sees your relationship and why some of the rules they will teach you are important. Its called " Be The Dog " by Steve Duno . You can get it on Amazon. Its a awesome book .

Here is a really heartwarming story about how a dog changed everything for the family of one asd child. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJSu3...eature=related

Hope some of this helps. If if I can help with anything please let me know.
cinderella73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: