Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
shortbun
Peacenik

What do I send to a soldier in Afganistan?

A kid on my old bus route is in Afganistan and having some emotional problems-according to his baby mamma. I met her at a basketball game my son was playing in. So, I want to send this young man some treats and a nice, supportive note from someone he's not expecting to hear from-me. He was being recruited by Notre Dame for track but blew it with insufficient grades. He's a great kid and I'm worried about him. I know my little effort won't give him what he needs but it might give him a small positive point in a day. What's important or currency over there? thank you so much!!!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
shortbun
Peacenik

I have collected moisturizer, small soaps, packaged cookies, pringles and written a letter. He's army, should I try to send socks, underarmour..anything else? I really need some help. I read a website that said MP3 players, DVD's, magazines. I have no idea what he'd like in magazines and I'm not buying him an MP3 player not knowing how he'd get music loaded onto it or a DVD not knowing if he even has access to a player where he is. Need some help here. Thanks!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

When im sending stuff to soldiers i dont know well or am not very close to i do homemade treats-vaccuum packed things actually do well just stay away from fudge and the like in the summer months. Any packaged portable snacks are good, copies of the hometown newspaper, especially if its a small town and they arent on the net. lip balm and sunscreen. Small silly toys-things like nerf darts and squirt guns-to help break tension and boredom. Books ifyou know what he likes to read. Candy. Just dont over think and youll be fine. Also get one of those APO flat rate boxes from the post office-it will save you many dollars.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Beef Jerky and Baby Wipes. My friend that has deployed several times said those are the most requested items in any care package!

We have also sent Girl Scout cookies, travel size shampoo/conditioner/lotion, non-meltable snacks like Pringles, jelly beans, life savers, pretzels, toys like squirt guns/nerf guns and magazines (ones that deal with cars or men's health are popular).

Anything is appreciated. If you know this boy personally then a heartfelt note that thanks him for his service would probably perk him up more than anything. You can always ask him if there is anything he would like as a treat that you could send in the next package.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
dngnb8
Disneyphile

I have had 4 of mine in the Middle East. Things they asked for.

1: Baby Wipes: Showers are almost nonexistant. These are like gold. I would send industrial packages

2: Breath Mints: Any small hard candy to keep the mouth moist. Its incredibly dry.

3: Easy reading. Magazines, comics, etc. Something easily rolled up

4: Snacks: Jerky has already been mentioned. Cookies (Especially girl scout cookies) are great. Trefoils are in a tube and easily stuffed in the pack. Stay away from chocolate, especially by April, its just a mess.

A little Disney never hurts anyone.
dngnb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
GiJohnsGirl
Mouseketeer

Also send beanie babies and candy - soldiers use these to give to children who when gifted and prompted will tell them where IEDs are. You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). My husband enjoyed pringles, cookies, muffins, and really they appreciate anything you send. Do you know where he is, where is stationed and what he does- that would indicate more of what he needs? My husband had regular access to showers, dvd players and the like. I wouldn't send socks - they usually have a boat load (I wish I could rid of some of my husbands since he is home now :P).

Sept 2010 ASMovies
Jan 2012 Pop
July 2012 Art of Animation
April 2013 Pop Adults only trip
June 2013 Dream First DCL!
GiJohnsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJohnsGirl View Post
Also send beanie babies and candy - soldiers use these to give to children who when gifted and prompted will tell them where IEDs are. You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). My husband enjoyed pringles, cookies, muffins, and really they appreciate anything you send. Do you know where he is, where is stationed and what he does- that would indicate more of what he needs? My husband had regular access to showers, dvd players and the like. I wouldn't send socks - they usually have a boat load (I wish I could rid of some of my husbands since he is home now :P).
I wish I knew exactly where he was in Afganistan but I don't. I'll ask him to write back or email-which I understand he has access to and let me know what he wants. Meantime, I'll send a mix in these first two boxes and hope I hit some good stuff.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
becky11
Mouseketeer

Another thing I like to send are the Purel laundry sheets. Sometimes, the troops don't have access to laundry soap, or they send their laundry bags out to have their laundry done for them, and they're unsure of the quality of 'soap' hitting their clothes. If they can stuff one of these laundry sheets in their bag, they can at least feel somewhat confident that some real soap is touching their clothes. I know I used them quite regularly when I was deployed.

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
becky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

[QUOTE][ You also have to be very careful when sending home made treats (anything with the slightest moisture will end up molded by the time he gets it - even if you bake it the day you send it). /QUOTE]

not always true-it depends on what you send and how you pack it. Ive sent tons of homemade stuff-never had an issue except with banana bread-but i have a vaccuum sealer and usually choose crispy cookies not soft ones.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

I found a recipe for care package brownies just today
http://leitesculinaria.com/70219/rec...-brownies.html
the author supposedly dissected the MRE brownies and came up with this much better, but just as long lasting, brownie recipe. (here's his blog post describing the process http://leitesculinaria.com/70139/wri...he-troops.html)

Other fun things: frisbees, baseballs and gloves and even (depending on where they are located) golf clubs and balls (contact your local golf course for donations). Nothing like having one giant sand pit at your disposal. lol
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
jac1976
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't recommend sending anything to hand out to the locals until you know more about his location. My DH is currently in Afghanistan and they are not allowed to give anything at all to the locals, even the children, b/c in my DH's words "anything can be made into an IED".

My DH asked for tissues, dried fruit, magazines, board games, soccer balls, baseball gloves/balls. He said his men really appreciated the sports equipment and board games. (He is not in a location where there is a USO or anything else that has recreational items.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: