Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #46
flyslyw
Time Rover Expert

Absolutely, Rock n Rollercoaster is the best coaster at WDW, but I still love Expedition Everest. I was there last December and could've sworn I saw the Yeti on it then.
2007 (Feb.) - All Star Sports, 2007 (Oct.) - off site
2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2010 & 2011 - All Star Sports
flyslyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyslyw View Post
Absolutely, Rock n Rollercoaster is the best coaster at WDW, but I still love Expedition Everest. I was there last December and could've sworn I saw the Yeti on it then.
She was there...she wasn't moving though.

It is unclear if she is not there currently, or covered with a scrim so you can't see with the lights off, right now.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #48
dpmfloyd
DIS Veteran

the yeti portion of the ride lasts roughly 3-4 seconds, so whats the big deal? the ride is still A LOT of fun. i understand having this big, nasty creature swooping at you must have been awesome, but crying over it wont fix it.

and the obscure snobbery of anyone saying, "I've seen it in "A" mode, I refuse to ride it in "B" mode" - GOOD, DONT! one less person for me to wait behind in line.
dpmfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #49
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmfloyd View Post
the yeti portion of the ride lasts roughly 3-4 seconds, so whats the big deal? the ride is still A LOT of fun. i understand having this big, nasty creature swooping at you must have been awesome, but crying over it wont fix it.

and the obscure snobbery of anyone saying, "I've seen it in "A" mode, I refuse to ride it in "B" mode" - GOOD, DONT! one less person for me to wait behind in line.
I still enjoy it no matter what. But the fully working Yeti was really awesome
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #50
TisBit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Over and over again people say things about the foundation breaking or being broken. Why?

They say that to fix it the whole mountain has to come down to pore a new slab of concrete.

That is can't operate as fast or with as much movement before because the foundation can't take the stress.

But nobody has any proof that I've ever seen that there is a problem with the foundation. Only speculation and heresay. Over and over again the same unproven reasoning.
I know where you are coming from on this. With the rumor that it is a major foundation issue, that implies that it might never be repaired because if it is a bad foundation, the only fix is a new foundation (think of a house, you can't fix stress fractures with a little paint if the foundation is causing them).

If the issue is the stress of the Yeti and its support structure (which is not the foundation, but is contained in the Yeti and the foundation to give it strength) there very well may be a solution that does not require a new foundation (lighter materials, redesign of the movements, new Yeti) and put it back into operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

at some point perception becomes reality.
Regardless the amount of time, perception never becomes reality, unless you it was a reality to begin with. I can tell you a lie and you can believe it for your whole life, but it is still just a lie.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #51
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Interestingly, there is a similar thread on the podcast board, which has a new explanation as to Betti's problems, and it has nothing to do with the foundation or structure as is the common belief. Of course the information may not be correct...but since we're speculating about the structure reports...

Reportedly, Betti got damaged on the very first test after the received the AA from the builder. The builder was supposed to lubricate the animatronics before delivery - apparently they didn't. Testing caused some damage before it was shut down, but there wasn't time to send it back for repair before the opening date. The damage was not severe, and it was felt that it would still operate fine, but the continued operation made the condition worse over time.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #52
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Reportedly, Betti got damaged on the very first test after the received the AA from the builder. The builder was supposed to lubricate the animatronics before delivery - apparently they didn't.
So it's possible that Betti just needs a little body glide because she is chaffing?

Hopefully she is either being re-fitted or repaired with proper lubrication and she will be back to work soon. Maybe they should bring her out to a new foundation outside where we can get a good look at her while in line for the ride.
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival

Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #53
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Through different channels I've heard two different stories of what they are doing currently...however both agree they are trying to give her some movement. One was to make her a giant marionette, with cables being strung from above. The other was for new supports to be added to her structure. Both would allow some degree of movement but not what she was once capable of.

Again, nothing confirmed, but given that she's been "under the sheets" for a number of days now, maybe they have a plan...

Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #54
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Through different channels I've heard two different stories of what they are doing currently...however both agree they are trying to give her some movement. One was to make her a giant marionette, with cables being strung from above. The other was for new supports to be added to her structure. Both would allow some degree of movement but not what she was once capable of.

Again, nothing confirmed, but given that she's been "under the sheets" for a number of days now, maybe they have a plan...
That sounds like the world class quality disney parks are known for
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #55
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Reportedly, Betti got damaged on the very first test after the received the AA from the builder. The builder was supposed to lubricate the animatronics before delivery - apparently they didn't. Testing caused some damage before it was shut down, but there wasn't time to send it back for repair before the opening date. The damage was not severe, and it was felt that it would still operate fine, but the continued operation made the condition worse over time.
The problem I have with this explanation is, what the builder never tested it as one complete unit before they shipped it?

I don't so.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #56
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
The problem I have with this explanation is, what the builder never tested it as one complete unit before they shipped it?

I don't so.
Actually quite possible depending on how tight the schedule was!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #57
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyslyw View Post
I disagree IMO opinion RNRC is the worst coaster in Disney. Sure it has the best thrill but it's queue stinks, it's too short, it's theming while on the ride is cheap and tacky sone of the worst Disney had ever done.

IMO BTM is the best Disney coaster it's theming rivals EE and they didn't put all there eggs in one basket like they did with the Yeti. Also it's custom built RNRC us a cheap off the shelf coaster.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #58
Big
Earning My Ears

What's great about this board are the different perspectives you can get. I for one, would have never thought of BTM as one of the better coasters at Disney (probably because of the terrible jerkiness especially at the WDW version of it - Paris is 100x better).

But from theming I'd have to agree. The queue is outdated and more of a cattle prod than the newer stuff like EE, but when the effects are working it's a very pleasant experience, plus you get the hidden tink at the end of the exit.

Splash is my gold standard for a perfect ride though, with just the right amount of thrill + theme, although it's not a "coaster"
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #59
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
I disagree IMO opinion RNRC is the worst coaster in Disney. Sure it has the best thrill but it's queue stinks, it's too short, it's theming while on the ride is cheap and tacky sone of the worst Disney had ever done.

IMO BTM is the best Disney coaster it's theming rivals EE and they didn't put all there eggs in one basket like they did with the Yeti. Also it's custom built RNRC us a cheap off the shelf coaster.
wow...you're wayyyyy off on this one.

Big Thunder Mountain is one of the worst roller coasters ever implemented. Even if you like it because its a kiddie ride -which is fine - it's a horribly built ride.

3 lift hills? nobody would ever build anything so stupid again. And the theming - while fine - really doesn't do much for the experience.

In rock n roller coaster...the speed and g force of the ride is augmented with the onboard sound (which apparently isn't in the budget for other rides at WDW ) making it a pretty cool - if brief - thrill.

Splash mountain is still the best integration of theme and ride....with tower and space mountain also being better examples that big thunder.

Not big thunder...no way
Its a bad custom build...a simple tubular steel junior coaster that fails to use gravity properly...bad bad bad
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #60
Figment632
DIS Veteran

^^^

Yea I know one of the most heavily themed coasters on the planet is terrible compared to one that is cheap thrills with almost 0 theming.

RnRC is a cheap off the shelf coaster that can be found all over the world but if all you care about is a cheap thrill an zero theme I guess go with RnRC. Or just go to Six Flags.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: