Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

What's your experience w/ ADHD medications?

Did you have to put your child on medication for ADHD? What kind of side effects did they have? I want to be prepared and informed when I go to DD's pediatrician.

THANKS!!!

Luckymomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
libgirl1
Earning My Ears

I am sure that you can find more information about possible side effects by searching for ADHD med side effects on the web. I know loss of appetite is a big one with a lot of kids.
libgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
kehlyrsmom
Mouseketeer

My daughter is very ADHD but also is on the Autism Spectrum she has Aspbergers - before we knew she was on the spectrum the Dr had put her on Ridilin and that magnified her symtpoms of autism. She became very aggressive, would run away when she got upset among many other issues. Her brother was diagnosed with moderate autism about the year before he is just over a year younger then she is. Anyway our peditrician reffered us to see a pediatric neuroligst for both kids and she diagnosed her with Aspbergers ontop of ADHD she was then put on the Daytrana patch for ADHD and Abilify to help control her aggressive/anger issues the Abilify made her gain weight and the Daytrana patch suppreses her eating. We recently switched her off of the Abilfy to Risperdal this again is to help with her aggressive/anger issues part of her autism. The daytrana seems to work very well for her it is kind of expensive though.

I would certainly look up possible side effects of the medications and discuss any concerns with your pediatrician. We initially discussed several medications with our dr and possible side effects before making any descions on what meds to put our kids on. The meds were a last resort we tried many different thearpies at Easter Seals as well as hippo thearpy (horseback riding) with both kids actually before we made the decission that medication was necessary.
SSR - Sept 2007, Sept 2009, May 2012, Dec 2013
ASMU - Sept 2008
POFQ - May 2010, Sept 2012, Sept 2013
POP - Sept 2010, Sept 2011
BWV - May 2012
AKL - Dec 2012
BCV - May 2013, May 2014
OKW - Aug 2014

Me DH DD14 DS12
kehlyrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Always read the full labeling from the physician desk reference so you can truely understand the risks (many of these medication have the same active compounds as "black labeled" medications). ALso remember that these medications offer no help in addressing and developing of the underlying skills that are are needed to manage the underlying executive function differences, so very often just provide a temporary "mask".

They can be beneficial as a temporary bridge while getting the proper educational supports in place, but since many individuals end up being unwilling to take the medical risks or accept what the medications do to them personality wise once they have self determination, they do more harm than good in the long term if they are viewed "as the solution" by parnets and educators.

bookwormde

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: