Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
CHICKENLEG
Earning My Ears

It is a Common Problem!

I would say that you are handling this very well. I am sure that the school appreciates that you are doing your very best.

We have a child in our classroom that is so freakish about water I would bet that he hasn't bathed since the Christmas break. His Mom just can't make herself try anymore. We have had to take him to the nurse's office to be cleaned on several occasions. Another child in our room has recently developed an enormous amount of shame about toileting and they have an organic cause keeping them from knowing when they need to go. So there are a million reasons why it could be happening, keep playing detective and you'll figure it out eventually. Remember, all behavior is communication. Sadly there is no "autism to neurotypical" option from Rosetta stone.
CHICKENLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKENLEG View Post
Remember, all behavior is communication. .
So true !!!

nyrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKENLEG View Post
I would say that you are handling this very well. I am sure that the school appreciates that you are doing your very best.

We have a child in our classroom that is so freakish about water I would bet that he hasn't bathed since the Christmas break. His Mom just can't make herself try anymore. We have had to take him to the nurse's office to be cleaned on several occasions. Another child in our room has recently developed an enormous amount of shame about toileting and they have an organic cause keeping them from knowing when they need to go. So there are a million reasons why it could be happening, keep playing detective and you'll figure it out eventually. Remember, all behavior is communication. Sadly there is no "autism to neurotypical" option from Rosetta stone.
Chickenleg, I love your attitude!! You're right, keep trying and you will figure it out eventually. I really believe that. My other thought that sustains me, is "not yet". I say it to our dd, whenever she says "no".
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

chickenleg,

I also love your perpective, I think the rosseta stone desciption ifs quite good since so many porple look for a "one size fits all formula" which does nto exits. Is it OK if I use it in my presentations?

The studnets in your classroom ar very forunate.

bookworm
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
brat
DIS Veteran

My Foster son had the same type of bathroom problems when we got him the first time and each time we have gotten him back over the years. For him it is worse depending on what he is eating.We ended up taking him to a nurtitionist which helped.I love the book "Special-Needs Kids Eat Right, Strategies to Help Kidson the Autism Spectrum Focus, Learn and Thrive" by Judy Converse, MPH,RD,LD. It has realy helped with Foster Son.

I agree with everyone who said flushable wipes.
I info from the book and his nutritionist really changes the level of "numb bum" Foster Son has.We call it "numb bum" to help others understand he just does not feel the same urge that others do. The probiotics really help the "numb bum" and the diet changes just add to the control by helping him focus on feeling that need to go.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: